The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2011, 05:46 PM   #26
Hardesty454

Re: How can I fix this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicdog View Post
It looks to me that your core support may have shifted to the right slightly.Try loosening it up and moving it over slightly to the left(driver side).Then loosen up the back two bolts and push the back of the hood over some also.I think your problem is with the core support.I do agree also 60s technology was not great by any stretch.Start by getting your door gaps as good as possible to the fenders up down left right etc.You may have to (dare i say it) slot some holes or bend something to get really good lines.Could your hood have been flattend out some while it was off?Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
It can and is done but it is not an undertaking for someone without patience.
You start by setting the doors then shim the rear of the fenders on both sides. Move to the core support to get the front valance correct then move on to the hood. It took two of us three days to align all of the panels on my 67 stepside. We did it before paint and pinned each joint before disassembly for paint. A ball bearing will roll down all of those panels now!
Thank you,
This is what I was leading up to and will try this tonite and post any pictures of any movement to see if it works out.

Wish one of you could come over and do it for me. I'll buy the beer.
Hardesty454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #27
biggestjohn

Well first off, the gap at the back is hard to fix because when you move the fender in, the hood moves the same amount because the hood hinge moves with it. So you can loosen the bolts that mount the hinge to the bottom of the hood, pull the arm of the hinge towards the passenger side fender, then tighten while holding in position. (basically pulling the bolt shank to the side of bolt hole slot in hinge) Or if desperate, put shims behind hinge on fender.You really should have the cowl panel installed, and lined up with hood.

The front gap is easier. That triangle brace at the front has slots, just loosen the bolts that go to core support, you should have some adjustment there also. Mount the grill shell, if you don't the spacing at the bottom may be off, which also affects the gap along the top of fender. There is a bolt that bolts the fender to the core support thats down lower, behind where the battery mounts. You can loosen that bolt, and move the bottom front of the fender, that will pinch the gap closer togather, or further apart. (extension in front of wheel well)

The gap at the very front tip of the fender\hood kinda flares out a little, good luck on that. (I welded in a little patch for that)

I know, clear as mud

Watch out moving the radiator core support, it will change the gaps along between the doors and fenders.

Last edited by biggestjohn; 02-23-2011 at 06:21 PM. Reason: more
biggestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:48 PM   #28
bikerbuck

Curious, What all is suppose to be loose or taken off the core support before moving it over? Everything?
bikerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #29
atomicdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerbuck View Post
Curious, What all is suppose to be loose or taken off the core support before moving it over? Everything?
Just loosen the bolts on either side of the radiator that go thru the frame and mounts.this will move the whole front over as one piece.Wont take much,your just lookin for a fraction of an inch, basicly half the distance of the gap you have to close at hood.If your support hasnt been moved lately you may have to use a porta power to move it initially.Make sure your doors are where they need to be,everything starts with the doors,cowl panel,hood,then once all gaps are right on those align the core support and fenders to them.sounds hard but once you see the cause and effect of positioning panels it gets easier to understand.then its just trial and error.Ive been doin this for 20 yrs and i get stumped occasionally.Good luck
atomicdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #30
Hardesty454

Well nothing,
Ive moved fenders, cowl, core supprt, hood, hinges.
Just about to pay someone to come down and allign the dang thing. anyone wana make a quick $50-$75?? Ill even supply the beer.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #31
bikerbuck

Well nothing,
Just about to pay someone to come down and allign the dang thing. anyone wana make a quick $50-$75?? Ill even supply the beer.

After the beer you wont have to align anything, It will all look nice and straight.
bikerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #32
Hardesty454

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerbuck View Post
Well nothing,

After the beer you wont have to align anything, It will all look nice and straight.
Thats more of less what I was thinking!
I ended up calling my old man and hes gona come try it out for me. If he cant do it then Im going to take it down to a buddy of mine who own a body shop in Chico. (were not buddies enough that I wont have to pay him) but at least it will get me to the strip point for the body work.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #33
67swb72klb

i dont know if u have the inner fenders in or not it makes things more easy without imo i loosley bolt fenders to core suport w/core suport loose also uwant to get good door gaps first then move foward some times u must shim core support /enlarge some holes your frame could be tweeked also keep at it