The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2023, 02:20 PM   #1
8man

Removing old paint and rust

Some more questions:

As soon as my doctor releases me, I'm going back to work on the trucks. I'm to a point on the 54 where I need to get several layers of old paint and a bit of surface rust removed so I can finish the metal work.

Here are some pictures:
These are the running boards. They are rusty, but no paint. So, I was wondering what method you all would use to get the rust off of these? Sand blast? Soda blast? Soak in something like Rust 911? I know I can't wire wheel the bottoms and do any good, so something else??
IMG_1281 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

Here is the back of the cab. The yellow is glue from where they had glued carpet to it. Also, a couple of layers of paint under that. Same question, what method?

IMG_1284 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

Here is the dash. I think the cab ALL needs the same treatment, but I'm not sure what.
IMG_1285 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

The top can be sanded, it's a smooth area, but what about the drip rail? How do you get it clean enough to paint. Again, I was thinking the entire cab needs to be done. I looked into Acid soaks to get rid of rust, paint, etc., but that is really expensive, and I've heard of some issues with the paint after the acid.
IMG_1288 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

The inside of the doors looks like this, the outside has multiple layers of paint, and I've had to repair the bottom lip on both, so they need to be cleaned up.
IMG_1286 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

This blurry pic is the underside of the roof. They glued carpet on it as well. So it has carpet glue of some sort and rust, and with the way the metal for the windows joins the inside of the roof, how do I get that clean? How do you get into all the spaces where two pieces of metal come together, without actually joining each other?
IMG_1287 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

I have used wire brushes on my drill and my grinders to remove rust and paint, but there are so many areas where I can't get them into. The sander won't get into all the areas either. I know sandblasting is a bad term on sheet metal, I saw what it did to the "replacement dash" I got for the 48.

So, what do you do to get the metal prepped and remove rust and paint for primer?

Thanks!
Build thread: "]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746899&highlight=wife%27s+48[/URL]
[/URL]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840204
8man is offline   Reply With Quote