The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2021, 03:29 PM   #1
MAC71Cheyenne

Lightbulb Headers to Rams?...

I have been reading through lots of the past posts on exhaust questions and options, as it is getting tiresome accessing plugs and worrying about expensive plug wires being torched. There are many thoughts, options, and opinions on this subject...simple? Yes and no.
What I am working with is a '71 C10 twd 350/4 bbl with Edelbrock carb and intake. No idea if any internal modifications have been made. Current set up is unknown headers into a 2.5 inch Flowmaster dual setup. I would like to go back, to the future with keeping the pipes but using GM cast rams horn manifolds. Alt and AC are on brackets mounted to the block. The number of different manifold configurations is part of the question as it would've nice to have the heat tube business up and running also. Gets kinda cold around here. No a.i.r system.

So all that said...manifolds for dummies. Thoughts on specific castings or just in general?
Attached Images

MAC71Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 03:39 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: Headers to Rams?...

Quite a few threads on the subject with positive results. I think the majority are getting the corvette rams with the 2.5'' opening and having the pipes redone going into the existing mufflers. That's about it. Personally I do not like the amount of pipe associated with duals and go with a single 3''. I like the sound better and it flows awesome
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:11 PM   #3
ChevyRacefan

You will need head pipe to go from the rams to where your headers now end.
The hot air tin isn't part of the ram horn, not sure where you get repops of that, or if they make them.
Looking at your photo it looks like a set of wire looms and cut the plug wires to length will fix your worries of burning the plug wires.
I could be wrong but it looks like those are the 1 size fits all accell plug wires. get some ends and a crimping tool, and get rid of the extra length, so they are not flapping around.
ChevyRacefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 06:53 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Headers to Rams?...

You can't beat a nice set of ram horns on a stock motor. Headers on a stock motor are worthless. I know a lot of people will argue with that, but if the truck motor is stock then they are worthless.
The stock truck ram horns are better for the truck because they are made to fit with no mods. If you use the corvette ram horns you have to modify the tubing to get past the steering and a arms.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:08 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I use stock manifolds on everything now. If you decide to go with the stock rams horns I have a couple of them.... All styles

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:09 PM   #6
truckster

I put an L31 Vortec in my Blazer and decided to go to the 2.5 ram's horns instead of the headers that had been in there. I bought some 2.5 inch 90 degree bent tube (with flanges) from Summit and welded it to the collectors.
Old 01-06-2021, 10:27 PM   #7
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I'm doing a healthy small block 400 for my truck and using the Rams Horns and original Q-Jet on it. just want a reliable street cruiser with more jam than the stock 350 had.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:46 PM   #8
toolboxchev

For a stock build, up to 300 ponies rams get it done, reliably. I am told the straight dump corvette style with 2.5 inch collectors offer a bit more options to open up the exhaust.

As far as durability I had to replace a set when I bought my truck, it was not cared for very well.

Had a used set on for 14 years and finally cracked due to rough driving over a river bar in a foot of water. Most likely from water hitting hot collectors.

Have a another used set on there now, probably will last another 10 years as long as I do not drive in the water!!!!!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:47 PM   #9
cj847

I replaced my crappy headers with stock copy Ram horns off of ebay. Much better seal and no problems with overheated starter.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:05 AM   #10
MAC71Cheyenne

Yes on the plug wires. They were on the truck when I bought it. Not a fan of em. I know lots of folks like their headers but I'm kind of a traditionalist. Charter member of the humbug club.
That is quite a collection Leon. I'll have to make a trip up to 'Zuma one of these days. If you want to pick out a sample set or two you can pm me with details.
Thanks guys!
Old 01-07-2021, 02:34 AM   #11
franken

I'm no expert but I like manifolds and dual exhaust. Loosening bolts are a pain and I'm lazy. Seriously, is a truck a speedy vehicle?
franken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:48 AM   #12
MARKDTN

I also don't care for headers on a basically stock engine. There are several styles of Corvette 2 1/2" manifolds. Be aware that not all Corvettes had 2 1/2" outlets. Of the ones that do, there is C2/C3 which is loosely 60s and early 70s. There is C4 84-91 Tuned-Port which is really more of a shorty header. There are a few variations on these but they all interchange. You can cut the AIR tubes off, drill them out, and weld up the holes if you get that style. Then there is C4 92-95 LT1 which is back to a cast manifold. If you buy these, be aware that they are bad to crack. Be sure to remove the shielding and look carefully for cracks. All of these will bolt up to any SmallBlock. I like the LT1 gaskets because they are 1 piece instead of 3 for each side. As far as a truck, I think the stock truck manifolds are fine for most.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:51 AM   #13
A1971Blazer

There are two kinds of headers
Ones that leak
Ones that are gonna leak
In the past I put headers on every vehicle I bought
Now....I take them off if it has them
I put the Summit 2½" ram horns on my '70 K/5...once and done
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:33 PM   #14
bry593

I'm proud of you guys! Not a single person suggested headers for a street driven vehicle. That shows wisdom which probably came from experience!

As I always say, "Headers are for race cars, and for kids who have not experienced the headaches of headers".....
Old 01-08-2021, 03:15 AM   #15
ChevyRacefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry593 View Post
I'm proud of you guys! Not a single person suggested headers for a street driven vehicle. That shows wisdom which probably came from experience!

As I always say, "Headers are for race cars, and for kids who have not experienced the headaches of headers".....
Well, depends on the vehicles use and if the engine will see a lot of use at higher rpm.

Header headaches are only an issue if you stick to the 1960's design.
If you use a copper gasket and stage 8 locking bolts, they don't back off or blow out the gaskets like a paper based gasket and bolts do, If you stay with the flat 3 bolt collector connection, they will leak with paper based gaskets, copper is better, and even better is ball and socket, that isn't going to leak at all, or v clamps if you are into over the top fab work.

For a street cruise ,for most headers are not needed. Nor is 90% of the stuff folks put on, just because they are era correct mods.
Like most things it is about vehicle use.
ChevyRacefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 06:17 AM   #16
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I have a K20 project I'm working on and I am thinking of ditching the headers on it as well and going back to ram horns. The headers are rusty and were leaking terribly. I know my luck and don't feel like changing gaskets every 3 months. Haha
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:34 PM   #17
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Personally, I love they way the Rams look. I also spent some time/money on wiring looms / routing just like in the Chevy manual. The two top ones around the distributor were the hardest and got lucky finding them on eBay (want to say they were listed for a vett).
Attached Images

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim

Last edited by Rich72C10; 01-08-2021 at 02:48 PM.
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 03:35 PM   #18
MAC71Cheyenne

That looks great Rich. Exactly what the goal is. PO was going for the semi hot rod look...which is fine. But, being a traditionalist I just like the look of "what was". First owner got this to pull a trailer. It got the pig in lipstick street cruiser makeover complete with the neon running lights and boom boom sound system. Uh...no.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:04 PM   #19
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Thank you for the compliment!

GMC Paul's has most of the loom / heat shield stuff. The two brackets on top around the distributor I had to hunt for on eBay, just remember to go outside "C10 Trunk" and look for the same period of vett parts for SBC 350.

ps: that's the on thing I would keep would be he boom, boom, stereo (so long as the dash was not cut)!

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:51 AM   #20
lousyflyer

I gave up on burning wires and put the ugly sleeve type shields on the plug boots.

I run Flowmaster 40 series mufflers that exit in front of the rear tires. It drowns out the sound of any exhaust leaks.

Check the fluids and header bolts when the hood is up. Replentish or replace as needed.
lousyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 09:30 PM   #21
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I took a couple of pictures and my camera quit when I was trying to take the third one. I will try it again tomorrow.

LockDoc
Attached Images

-
Old 01-10-2021, 01:03 AM   #22
lousyflyer

What manifolds would have come on a small block with factory dual exhaust? Was that even an option on 67-72 trucks?
lousyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:44 AM   #23
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousyflyer View Post
What manifolds would have come on a small block with factory dual exhaust? Was that even an option on 67-72 trucks?

I thought I read on here somewhere that was only an option on big block trucks. Maybe someone that is more familiar with the BB's will chime in on that. My '72 Dually with a 350/TH350 uses the angled Rams horn manifolds but it looks like the straight ones would work OK too. Some of them used one straight and one angled so it probably depends on what engine/transmission combo it came with.

LockDoc

-