The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2011, 09:49 AM   #26
lpaine

Re: WA State Seat Belt Law - Mystery

All politics and legal interpretations aside, your best bet is probably to install the three point belts and be done with it. That way the law can't hassle you and you will be better protected in the event of an accident. Just my .02
lpaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:20 AM   #27
68 IRON

I starting to think the WSP is so use to looking for belts, when they don't see
a shoulder strap the driver must not be wearing their belt. Then they have to quote from a "gray" area of the book to justify the stop. Hell, what would happen if you took the truck in for a vehicle inspection? Would they notice it then? I'm willing to bet NO! As long as everything else is in working order.......
right? The truck passes, you get valid safety report and you just flash your
"badge" at the next traffic stop. Passenger cars / Pickup trucks...two different
criteria for legal safety restraints.
68 IRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #28
Ryan5O

Ordered some 3pt belts yesterday, but still looking for the correct answer to the scenario. Im waiting on a written response from WSP in ref to an inquiry Ive had with them. When I get a answer, I'll post it for you guys.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:11 PM   #29
68 IRON

I don't think you will find anything that says trucks are exempt. The requirements brought forward are: passenger car w/lap belt 1968= required
passenger car w/ shoulder harness 1968= required, then it talks about trucks
pickup trucks w/lap belt (safety belt) 1972= required. They talk about the car seperately and clear about the different belts required. Trucks only the lap belt. Anything else just doesnt make sense to me. Good question for
Jesse...On KING 5!!! But then again I don't feel illegal driving mine without them. Good luck and do keep us posted. I'll ask a friend of mine.
68 IRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #30
Ryan5O

Well, I've got WSP backed into a corner right now. To the extent that they said they were going to remove some info off their public site. Im still working on this though. I'm going to wait on posting any the correspondence until all the bantering back and forth with the State agencies is done. I have a feeling that I'll have something in writing either tomorrow or early next week. I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:41 PM   #31
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

This is a case where Federal law is the one to follow, and may help to keep a print out of the exact law numbers for reference (WA law RCW 46.61.688).

Motor vehicles that meet the manual seat belt safety standards as set forth in (Federal) 49 C.F.R. Sec. 571.208 which is as follows:

Quote:
Cars manufactured or assembled 1/1/1965 or later (until 1968) required only lap belts for driver and passenger.

Cars manufactured or assembled 1/1/1968 or later required 3 point shoulder belts for driver and passenger, and lap belts for the rest of the seating positions.

Passenger Trucks manufactured or assembled 1/1/72 or later (until 1976) required a lap belt only for driver and passenger.

Passenger Trucks manufactured or assembled 1/1/76 or later required 3 point belts for driver and passenger, and lap belt for extra seating positions.
Now the sticking point is RCW 46.37.510
Quote:
Seat belts and shoulder harnesses.

(1) No person may sell any automobile manufactured or assembled after January 1, 1964, nor may any owner cause such vehicle to be registered thereafter under the provisions of chapter 46.12 RCW unless such motor car or automobile is equipped with automobile seat belts installed for use on the front seats thereof which are of a type and installed in a manner conforming to rules adopted by the state patrol. Where registration is for transfer from an out-of-state license, the applicant shall be informed of this section by the issuing agent and has thirty days to comply. The state patrol shall adopt and enforce standards as to what constitutes adequate and safe seat belts and for the fastening and installation of them. Such standards shall not be below those specified as minimum requirements by the Society of Automotive Engineers on June 13, 1963.

(2) Every passenger car manufactured or assembled after January 1, 1965, shall be equipped with at least two lap-type safety belt assemblies for use in the front seating positions.

(3) Every passenger car manufactured or assembled after January 1, 1968, shall be equipped with a lap-type safety belt assembly for each permanent passenger seating position. This requirement shall not apply to police vehicles.

(4) Every passenger car manufactured or assembled after January 1, 1968, shall be equipped with at least two shoulder harness-type safety belt assemblies for use in the front seating positions.

(5) The state patrol shall excuse specified types of motor vehicles or seating positions within any motor vehicle from the requirements imposed by subsections (1), (2), and (3) of this section when compliance would be impractical.

(6) No person may distribute, have for sale, offer for sale, or sell any safety belt or shoulder harness for use in motor vehicles unless it meets current minimum standards and specifications conforming to rules adopted by the state patrol or the United States department of transportation.
WA state law lumps passenger trucks with cars.

If your truck was manufactured in the 68-75 timeframe, and originally bought/sold outside of WA state, then it follows Federal law under RCW 46.61.688 (which references Federal law 49 C.F.R. Sec. 571.208).

Obviously if it was manufactured 1/1/1968 or later specifically for sale in WA state (and a few others), the trucks will have factory 3 point shoulder harnesses. If it is a 1968 to 1975 model with lap belt only, it was manufactured for sale outside of WA and at some point imported after the fact. This is where Federal law takes effect (due to be interstate sales/transport of vehicles).
-------------------
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #32
Ryan5O

Hey Screwball, I believe your interpretation is dead on. You explained it very well. Ive been in contact with the WA Traffic Safety Commission and Im currently waiting on a written interpretation of the scenario from them.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:33 AM   #33
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Screwball is right, that is the point of this being a Federal safety standard. All the huffing and puffing by the state is worthless.

As stated earlier, "newer" laws do not required retro-fitting. They just assume that eventually most all of the older vehicles will be gone, making the majority of the ones on the road compliant.
Remember the 3rd (high mount) brake light? You don't have to install one of those either, but you do have to maintain it if originally equipped.

As I recall, there is some kind of law, reguarding seatbelts, making it illegal to "up-grade" them. The factory equipment (or legit replacement) is required. I seem to remember something about someone getting hassled about a 5-point racing harness on the street? Andy, was it you?

I do remember the story about "pointing to your lap belt"......just don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #34
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I got hassled for a 3 point retractible seatbelt in my old '70 C/20 longhorn. Yearly inspection in texas. They nailed me for the seatbelts and non working parking brake. It was explained to me (and showed me federal guidlines) that you are not permitted to modify (add or remove was listed in the fed DOT guidline) seat belts. This included adding later style seatbelts not designed for the vehicle they were installed in, off road (4 point/5 point) seat belts or the removal of factory installed belts. If memory serves, the only exceptions was a belt specificly designed for said vehicle, or one installed by someone who was certified under something or another guidlines.
I had to go to the junk yard and lucked out with a set of blue (matching my truck) lap belts and fix the parking brake before I could get my yearly inspection sticker.

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 06-28-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #35
NONHOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post

WA state law lumps passenger trucks with cars.
Not trying to be difficult, I'm very curious about all of this.
Where does it state that trucks are lumped with cars?