The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2014, 06:59 PM   #1
mtnbikerxt

CPP Drop Spindles: Conflicting Information

Hi All,
New to the forums and to these trucks. Picked up a '70 C10 SWB last fall. Has a 350/350 combo with a leaf spring rear. Been lurking on the forum since I bought the truck. A great deal of information here!

The day I bought it.

Done a bit of work to it over the winter. Cleaned up the engine bay, all new brake hoses, rebuilt the drum brakes, new transmission pan gasket and filter, 3-point seatbelts, cleaned up the gauge cluster, new exhaust, new wheels and tires, etc...

What it looks like right now.

Anyways, I've decided to convert to disc brakes to make it a little safer to drive around town. The wheels are 6-bolt slot mags with 3.25" backspace with drum brakes on all four corners. Being that I like the location of the wheels in the wheel wells now, I had pretty much decided on the CPP OE Drop Spindle Kit with 6-lug rotors PN: 6370SWBK-6OE. They advertise that this only changes the front track width by 1/16" from the drum setup which is fine by me.

Here's the issue. From reading on the forum I know that these are a relatively new design (within the past few years). I contacted their customer support to confirm that the track width would not be changed significantly from the drum setup and here is the reply I got...

6370SWBK-6OE “This drops you 2.5 inches and moves your tires out ¾ an inch each side”

6370SWBK6OES “Stock height, same ¾ inch”

6370SWBK-6 “This is the one you want I think. Drops you 2 inches and Moves your tire in ¼ inch, so just a hair less then stock width” 799.00 This kit does not come stock height,

I went back and forth with their customer support over email but they could not explain the discrepancy between their own catalog, wheel offset chart (http://www.classicperform.com/Instru...fset_Chart.pdf) and what they wrote in the email.

Here's my question: Has anyone ordered this kit (6370SWBK-6OE) and determined what the track width change was from drums? Is the customer service rep just not up-to-date on the products? Any vendors on here that could confirm I would receive the new "smooth" casting spindles? I'm not keen on spending the extra for the "modular" spindles since I'll be staying with stock-size brakes. Thanks for all your help!

-Gen
mtnbikerxt is offline   Reply With Quote