The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
slomotion
Old Duffer

New Pool Function

We have a 16' X 32' inground swimming pool. It had an eight foot deep end, and a three foot shallow end. It was a lot of fun when the kids and grandkids were around, but jobs, and careers later, there's no one but us old folks to use it. Up here in our climate it's warm enough for yours truly only about three days a summer. Maintaining the pool was relatively expensive when compared to the amount of usage, so I placed an ad offering it and the equipment for free, just come get it, and help me fill the hole. (The liner was/is three years old.) No takers, so not wanting to bury a perfectly good pool, I decided to morph it into something different.
I shoveled three 15 yard truck loads of sand into it, (45 yards! This happened last fall) Before the cold weather set in, three frogs took up residence and survived the winter so there was hope. (Now there's five and a few thousand frog eggs.)
Long story short, I used a cast net in a local pond, kidnapped some fish, dug up some cattails, bought a few plants, and now have what the magazines call a "water feature". It's not done yet, but here's a couple pics of it's current status...
Eventually, there'll be a bridge across one corner to break up the squareness, and a "dock" down the opposite side from the plants with a small dory tied up. The concrete area where the diving board was will have an 8 X 12 pergola and a swing seat in it with wisteria growing all over it.
Another long-term project.
Attached Images

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote