The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2016, 01:35 PM   #26
cleszkie

Re: Rejected at Car Show Marina Car Show Long Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweatback View Post
Look I filled out the application I paid my entry fee and no where did it say no partially painted or patina trucks. I took the time to drive down there get in line and then was rejected.
I have to back Sweatback on this one. It ended up being a big inconvenience and waste of his time, even though he followed all of the KNOWN/AVAILABLE rules and regulations of the organization.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:42 PM   #27
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
I have to back Sweatback on this one. It ended up being a big inconvenience and waste of his time, even though he followed all of the KNOWN/AVAILABLE rules and regulations of the organization.
Yeah, he kinda failed to mention that at the begining. From the initial post it sounded like he rolled up on it and they said no thanks. Pre paying and then being rejected is pretty a-hole-ish..
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:43 PM   #28
Sweatback

CCW Weld Wheels. Two Piece 18 inch.
www.weldwheels.com
Sweatback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:56 PM   #29
Sweatback

They said they would mail me a check. Show was listed on www.socalcarculture.com
I have no reason to believe they wont.
I get the fact that all car shows are a little different and can be very specific. This was not the case with this show, and I am good with whatever rules they want to impose. Just be up front with it. I mean the Ventura Nationals don't let in 69 or newer vehicles. That means I am out for that one. I am not pissed about that, and will still probably go anyway as a spectator. Still a great show in my opinion. the random way this guy just decided that I couldn't come in was way off base in my opinion.
Again thank everyone for at least listening to my rant! I needed to vent........
Old 08-29-2016, 02:21 PM   #30
Coley

I would hope that any classic/enthusiast car meet would always have an area for extra participants who aren't directly aligned with the main entrants theme.
Turning away car and truck guys for some sort of 'non-compliance with our theme' sort of sounds like old guy/keep off my lawn territory.....that just don't cut in my books.
Nice truck, keep rollin'

all Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500

Last edited by Coley; 08-29-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:26 PM   #31
In The Ten Ring

I entered my minty 1975 Pontiac into a car show in 2003. The judges came around and turned their noses up at it when they looked at the engine.

I said, "what do you mean? This thing is like the day it left the factory."

They said "you need a lot of chrome."

I shook my head and realized car shows were something of a joke, to me at least. "More chrome." You'd think there would be a "factory stock" category.

I did have fun though but I doubt I'd ever pay money to enter one again.

*I did "win" 4 quarts of oil as a door prize.

Oh! You know how car shower-goers will put all their previous trophies around their engines? Well I put out those 4 quarts of oil as my "trophies."
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:39 PM   #32
Jarvis-69 GMC 1500CK

Grew up going to big rig shows as my family is in the industry, but we never won. We always entered "working rigs" They were nice, but nothing like the trailer queens some guys would bring out.

For us it was just a chance to hang around with friends/co workers and drink large amount of alcohol doing what we loved most-Making noise with CAT's, airhorns and lots'n lots of pretty lights!

I do intend on entering my truck into a few shows, but I will not expect to win. To me it is about the community, which is why it upsets me to see a none category (seemingly) car show turn away something like that.
Jarvis-69 GMC 1500CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:47 PM   #33
Sweatback

To me it is about the community, which is why it upsets me to see a none category (seemingly) car show turn away something like that.

Very well said! I don't go to shows to win, I go to hang with cars guys or gals, see the builds talk about trucks, cars and hopefully some of my money goes to charity.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:08 PM   #34
RonG

Your truck is immaculate. Any car person can see the love, time, dollars, blood, sweat and care that you have bestowed on your truck. You will never please everyone. Be proud of what you have created and have pity on the ignorant and the biased. I would be proud to have a truck as nice as yours.
RonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:13 PM   #35
RichardJ

Sweatback, you mentioned the Ventura Nationals. I hope you don't take this as hijacking your thread. I looked it up and it says;

CAR QUALIFICATIONS:
Pre-1968 American cars & trucks ONLY Promoters option for later lowriders and Vans 1965-1973All cars, trucks and motorcycles that pre register must send a side shot photo that shows the wheels with each entry regardless of past entry. ...............................................

MOTORCYCLE QUALIFICATIONS:
1979 and earlier American and Foreign motorcycles. We will allow traditional old school choppers and bobbers with new powerplants. Still, no billet wheels, no rear tires larger than a 160.

Sorry, NO Muscle Cars or VW's.

What kind of car show is that? A pre-1968 American car that isn't a Muscle Car? So, I guess they're looking for 1967 Oldsmobile station wagons? I see, it's A-OK if you bring lowered crap.

They charge $15 to each spectator to see a 1973 low-rider van?

Dozens of free car shows in SoCal and all with better cars than that. "Cars & Coffee" are becoming very popular and they welcome all cars. No cheesy trophies, no fees, no club membership and no rules. Just no burn-outs, no loud music and of course "look, but don't touch".
Old 08-29-2016, 03:21 PM   #36
OregonNed

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
I entered my minty 1975 Pontiac into a car show in 2003. The judges came around and turned their noses up at it when they looked at the engine.

I said, "what do you mean? This thing is like the day it left the factory."

They said "you need a lot of chrome."

I shook my head and realized car shows were something of a joke, to me at least. "More chrome." You'd think there would be a "factory stock" category.

I did have fun though but I doubt I'd ever pay money to enter one again.

*I did "win" 4 quarts of oil as a door prize.

Oh! You know how car shower-goers will put all their previous trophies around their engines? Well I put out those 4 quarts of oil as my "trophies."
This is funny! I always get no looks at my engine bay, not a lot of chrome, only the alt and a few pieces elsewhere. I won (as raffle prizes) two watermelons this last weekend... lol

Last edited by kcsa75; 09-03-2016 at 11:43 AM.
OregonNed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:24 PM   #37
Jarvis-69 GMC 1500CK

Even if I get a shiny crate engine Ill paint it factory.

Am I crazy? Yes. I just like keeping it stock
Old 08-29-2016, 03:34 PM   #38
Grumpy old man

I used to enter a lot of cars/trucks/bikes into the shows and back in the day if it wasn't finished it didn't enter all the judges were experts in their field ,mechanics ,paint,interior and the competition was tough . Now with the younger generations they have different tastes in how their stuff is set up and that's all good they are all cool in their own respect . I stopped entering shows when they would be judged by the local hooters girl or some YoYo they pulled from the crowd , one show had the best of show decided by a 12 yo little boy and some of the guys drove hundreds of miles and spent real money to be there . When you walk past a trophy table and there are 200 participation awards it's time to leave .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:00 PM   #39
In The Ten Ring

OregonNed,

You can guess what I'd have done: put those watermelons on my engine as my "trophies."

At the end of the show, as dusk was fast arriving, everyone started up to leave. All those glass packs did make it feel like we were all in some NASCAR race, with the green flag about to drop.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:03 PM   #40
demian5

Same thing in san clemente. Concourse show cars only.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:16 PM   #41
TwoFiftyShifter

I agree. The only thing your truck needs to be car show nice is paint. That is just the consensus at most shows. It's not usually an environment I like - the big ones at least. I like the small town car shows and cruise ins. My ride has patina and isn't very nice though so YMMV
Old 08-29-2016, 04:23 PM   #42
Jarvis-69 GMC 1500CK

Lets not get into a debate patina vs paint. It should not matter if you have paint or no paint, if the truck has clearly had work on it and not some field find the day before, it deserves to be in a show.

**UNLESS** the show has clear rules against it.

Im sure if the show had told him, or had it posted somewhere about paint status requirements Sweatback would not even be the least bit upset or have posted anything.

As far as the award thing, allot of shows up here I have seen have 2 categories. A
n award which you pay to enter for, and a free entry where you just show your vehichle.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:27 PM   #43
68 CRACKERBOX

I'm not much for judged shows anymore, for over 5 years I showed a 67 Peterbilt at all the big truck shows all over the country (Los Vegas,Loiusville,Walcott,Carlise,Wheeling, Walpun,Etc) drove 1000's of miles,spend days cleaning&polishing,spend 1000's of dollars to win two dollars trophies and get on calanlars,and get in maginzes. alot of times get judged by people that didn't know anything about big trucks.I look back on at it and wonder WHY??? any show I go to now is just bring it and show it. we put on a show here every year for the past 6 years and it is show what you show what you bring ,even if it don't run or is in pieces and it is here at my yard, and I find everybody that come looks at the junk in the back as much as the show pieces.but the big thing is it is a chance for everybody to get together and have a cookout & a good time.just a fun show.

72 gmc 2500 longhorn
68 chevy c-30 50th anniv. 9ft step side
68 gmc crackerbox 8v71 detroit
72 gmc astro95 8v71 detroit
68 CRACKERBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:39 PM   #44
Metaldoc

Don't ever change to make your truck/ vehicle what someone else likes. I love the fact your truck is a 2016 with 50 year old style. Mine is the same way and being able to leave it and not worry about scratches, dents or polishing. Just drive it. As was said no one looks at the rusty one, even to steal it. I know what I have under her skirt.
Attached Images

Metaldoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:01 PM   #45
Husker

Nice Truck. They suck.
Ron
Member #111
68 C-10 Daily Driver
70 4x4 Project
76 Jeep CJ-5

Help Support the Board:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
Thomas Jefferson
Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:20 PM   #46
custom10nut

And how many foreign made, stereo equipped, flashy light equipped, "tuners" we're allowed? Your truck wouldn't have been appreciated by the crowd that those kinda shows attract anyways. You would have wasted a lot of time on attempting to explain "what's wrong with your paint?". (BTW, there is nothing wrong with your beautiful truck)
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:51 PM   #47
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

BOOOOOOOOO! HSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Awesome truck
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:29 AM   #48
toolboxchev

Re: Rejected at Car S Marina Car Show Long Beach

I would not let it bother me, with the amount of craftsmanship you have done there its their loss, not yours.

I would not ever let someone let me feel bad about what I love to do.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:11 AM   #49
tonkatrux2

MY thought it's only original once. These guys saying it needs to be shinny are same ones that walls in garage are full of old rusty signage and old memorabilia. These old patina trucks are same to us as your old crap on walls. I do have little issue with fake patina trucks I have seen some real nice but most are way off. Your truck is a great mix of new and old love it.
tonkatrux2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:13 AM   #50
tonkatrux2

One last thing anyone can make shinny
tonkatrux2 is offline   Reply With Quote