The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2014, 05:12 PM   #26
AirSpeed

Re: New engine, not so wonderful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOut67shorty View Post
Well thats good that there letting you hold onto the old engine till the new one arrives. Ive had the same hassels with smaller parts such as wheel cylinders that were off by a year, not i triple check everything like a madman. I hope this engine wont give you anymore issues.
Yea, they were pretty cool about it, I was actually thinking of keeping it and putting it in my 69. It's got the original engine and is getting tired.
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:12 PM   #27
jjzepplin

Nice fan! Wish it was that easy. How is this going? Thought you were going to post some pics for us to admire and come up with something for you...
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:16 PM   #28
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
Nice fan! Wish it was that easy. How is this going? Thought you were going to post some pics for us to admire and come up with something for you...
We got it figured out, going to drill some holes in my concrete floor and mount an electric winch to it, going to winch the truck out then back my son inlaws lifted truck up to the retaining wall and try to winch the engine out of his truck, onto a sled then up the hill and into my shop. According to my calculations we'll be able to do it with 1.5" to spare! Maybe!
Old 10-26-2014, 06:53 PM   #29
jjzepplin

You're kidding right?
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:18 PM   #30
57larry

gotta see some pics to appreciate your problem
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:49 PM   #31
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
You're kidding right?
??????
Old 10-26-2014, 11:14 PM   #32
57taskforce
All about them K’s

I gotta see all this taking place!
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:05 PM   #33
AirSpeed

Got my truck moved, new engine installed but what a pain! The outer exhaust bolt holes on the crate engine were 1/8" further than my original engine, had to drill the exhaust manifold bolt holes out a little to get the holes to line up. Not before breaking one bolt off in the head! Got it fixed though. Also bike the bolt holding the harmonic balancer, had to drill out the broken bolt but it's fixed now. Had many issues to deal with just getting my truck in and out of my basement so I didn't get it started yesterday. Still have exhaust to connect, install dist, and a few odds and ends but hopefully it's done today!
Old 11-03-2014, 01:46 AM   #34
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
Got my truck moved, new engine installed but what a pain! The outer exhaust bolt holes on the crate engine were 1/8" further than my original engine, had to drill the exhaust manifold bolt holes out a little to get the holes to line up. Not before breaking one bolt off in the head! Got it fixed though. Also bike the bolt holding the harmonic balancer, had to drill out the broken bolt but it's fixed now. Had many issues to deal with just getting my truck in and out of my basement so I didn't get it started yesterday. Still have exhaust to connect, install dist, and a few odds and ends but hopefully it's done today!
Didn't you say that old engine had the newer style non-ram's horn (log style) manifolds?

They were known for shrinking, seriously. They make a spreader tool for installing them after they are on awhile. Later, they extended the castings to include between the outlets to stop the shrinkage.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/oe...MOlBoColHw_wcB
Attached Images

mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:42 AM   #35
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Didn't you say that old engine had the newer style non-ram's horn (log style) manifolds?

They were known for shrinking, seriously. They make a spreader tool for installing them after they are on awhile. Later, they extended the castings to include between the outlets to stop the shrinkage.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/oe...MOlBoColHw_wcB
I actually measured the exhaust bolt holes on my old heads and the heads on this engine and the new engines holes were off by an 1/8".
Old 11-06-2014, 06:39 PM   #36
AirSpeed

Got my new engine running pretty good, just changed the oil but noticed a few drops of oil on the torque converter cover, I'm hoping I don't already have a leaky rear main seal. If so do I have any recourse to get it fixed? I cleaned it up and will check it again tomorrow but just wanted to be prepared to talk to whomever deals with issues such as leaks on new engines, Summit or GM. I really don't want to pull the engine to replace a rear seal, I doubt they will do anything about it but I thought I would see if any of you experienced such problems with crate engines?
Old 11-06-2014, 07:48 PM   #37
luvbowties

Smile Re: New engine, not so wonderful!

Quote:
Got my new engine running pretty good, just changed the oil but noticed a few drops of oil on the torque converter cover, I'm hoping I don't already have a leaky rear main seal. If so do I have any recourse to get it fixed? I cleaned it up and will check it again tomorrow but just wanted to be prepared to talk to whomever deals with issues such as leaks on new engines, Summit or GM. I really don't want to pull the engine to replace a rear seal, I doubt they will do anything about it but I thought I would see if any of you experienced such problems with crate engines?
Considering what you've been through, and how you have managed the work arounds, I'm sure a simple rear main seal replacement should be a piece of cake for you!

Congrats on maintaining your cool and getting concessions from Summit--many could not have handled such a situation so calmly, so gentlemanly! Now, that's the way problems should be handled.

sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:59 PM   #38
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbowties View Post
Considering what you've been through, and how you have managed the work arounds, I'm sure a simple rear main seal replacement should be a piece of cake for you!

Congrats on maintaining your cool and getting concessions from Summit--many could not have handled such a situation so calmly, so gentlemanly! Now, that's the way problems should be handled.

sam
Well, I was polite on the phone because sugar gets more flies but when my first engine came with a broken valve I did proclaim loudly in my shop the "F" word a few times! Thanks!
Old 11-06-2014, 08:01 PM   #39
Lee H

Hang in there, get a good flashlight and small mirror and search for the leak. It's rarely the rear main that's really leaking.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:49 PM   #40
duallydude63

when u uncrate the engine take pics i work for a trucking co and a lot of customer do that jst in case there is concealed damage !! hope this helps
duallydude63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:13 AM   #41
Shinysideup

Holy cow this is OLD news! Why dig this up? Check the date duallydude
Shinysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:09 AM   #42
Mollzyie

Just spent 20 mins reading first page before I realized I'm reading old news
DOH ! ... Might as well get a post out of it .
Old 01-02-2017, 02:18 PM   #43
davepl

Well, for those like me that read all the way to the end to find out how old this thread was, I'll say that uncrating stuff to inspect it is a good idea.

I ordered all new bed polished aluminum bed strips, and when they were delivered they were in a long (10') cardboard tube. So I popped the caps off each end, and while each strip was individually wrapped, the ends were fine on both ends, I figured they must be OK.

Nope, turns out they were all kinked right in the middle, even though the tube was fine.

Lesson learned! I used to sweat it that delivery drivers would be impatient, but one actually told me he gets paid 15 minutes on the schedule for "customer inspection" of every freight delivery. May not be universal, but made me feel better...
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:14 PM   #44
El Dorado Jim

I did the same thing, read to the end ,such an old thread!!!, but I have had great luck buying a crate engine and am going to buy a 290 hp 350 through summit, hopefully soon....Airspeed, which engine did you get? hp and you live in a beautiful place, I have been through there many times, my parents used to live in Hat Creek, looks like your avatar is at the museum?
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:05 PM   #45
garyd1961

I read the whole thing also. Was about to tell the OP his problem wasn't all that bad. someone stole my new GM crate engine right off my engine stand. I had to buy a new crate engine as my HO insurance wouldn't pay for it.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:17 PM   #46
toolboxchev

Quote:
Got my new 35o from summit Tuesday, loaded in the back of my truck to unloade it in my basement where I was going to install it, my house is cut into a hill so it was and incredible challenge to get it in but I did it, pulled the old engine, uncreated the new engine and notices the valve cove was tweaked, the crate was perfect but the valve cover looked like a banana. Decided to pull the valve cover to check the rockers and found a broken exhaust valve. Called Summit, they're sending me a new engine next week but now I have no way to get the engine in front of my truck, you'd have to see the situation to appreciate it! There simply isn't a way of getting my truck out with out and engine in it. Before I noticed the broken valve I pulled the heads on the old engine to see if the block was cracked, it looks like it is, I have to reassemble my old engine, put it back in my truck, and get it out of my basement so I can pull the new bad engine out and load it in my truck so I can take it to exchange for a new engine then precariously get my truck back in my basement so I can do it all over again! You can't imagine the long string of absolute FOUL language that came out of my face when I realized all this! I am EXTRAORDINARILY LIVID! The crate was perfect, who ever slammed the valve cover hard enough to break a valve had to know they caused some damage but they crated it up anyway and let it get shipped!
This whole issue is why I do not do business with NAPA. They are great for picking up oil, nothing more.

I had just been the rounds with them on brake parts. I am done with that avenue.

On an engine, they would be paying me to install it.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote