The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-20-2008, 11:26 PM   #26
pugs

Re: getting my truck today

thanx tigger, yours is looking good also. going to hit the boneyard today to find some stock wheels for the rear and whatever other goodies i may come across
Old 01-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #27
pugs

Didnt get to the boneyard today but i managed to get to the metal shop for a couple pieces of 18gauge flat sheet . being i need to replace the step areas I decided to do it my own way. started out with a few measurements and then a cardboard cutout, then transfered to metal

nice thing using the cardboard,you flip your bends and youhave the pattern fo rthe opposite side
Old 01-21-2008, 11:05 AM   #28
pugs

the lines on the step area itself is where i wanted to run the beads

and the finished product

this peice is a support i will have the metal shop bend up for me

and i will tack to the bottom side of the step

Old 01-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #29
Kim57

Nice work on the step.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:44 PM   #30
pugs

thanx kim, took me all of 2 hours from start to fiish to make the step. If my buddy wouldnt have given me the floor pans i was going to cut the firewall and floors out and do it all in one piece. hope my other parts wil show up tomorrow but i doubt it, i should go hit the boneyard today and see if i cant find a drivers side lower hingr since mine is shot, someone over the yrs drilled it and stuck bolts thu it instead of pins
Old 01-25-2008, 09:10 AM   #31
pugs

well not to much going on with the truck, some of the parts wil be here tomorrow and another package on friday, but was wandering, now that i have the floor pans in place, would id be safe to start cuting and installing the step areas or wait till i get the lower hinge areas and get that done 1st
Old 01-27-2008, 01:13 PM   #32
pugs

i finally got all my repair palens today and just about have the driver side all tacked in ,then i hung the door on and have it all but adjusted up proprely, do have to add a couple of shims under the hinges, will have the step in place tomorrow along with some pics
Old 01-28-2008, 03:08 AM   #33
pugs

a couple of pics nothing to impressive tho, i need to tack the step in place today and then pull the truck out clean the garage abit and tackle the passengerside, will take more pics today as i work on the passenger side

Old 02-01-2008, 04:46 AM   #34
pugs

not to much going with the truck the past days but i did manage to tack in the passenger side hinge plate and pocket area. for the hell of it i went out to the garage and messed with the brakes alittle, so i added alittle fluid to the m/c and started pumping them up and wasnt getting nothing, so went around and tried to open all the bleeders and made sure they were all cleaned out . i left the rear ones open and started pumping the pedel up again and it started to get a pedel so closed the bleeders up and it was getting even better, hold the brake cant roll the truck , let go it rolls nice, so nothing hanging up. so for the hell of it i pulled the left side tire to ck the shoes and whatnot and by the lookes of it everything is new even the return spring, man am i happy, will have to get the gf out to help me bleed the brakes all around properly. im so undiceded if i want to swap chassis or not , kind of have a few ideas in my head on what i can do to lower it down. 1st id like to change out the rear for better gearing, i have something 4:10's or 11's in it now and do a flip on it right awayand c-notch it. Im then thinking about reverse eye main leaves on front plus remove a leaf or 2 out to drop it down(did it on my old 54 i had a few yrs ago rode great), now i know by doing this it will get the bump stop real close to the frame, so was thinking i could possibly c-notch out the frame 2-2.5" to have the cleanence i need. Also to give it a more lowered look im thinking about actually taking 2-2.5" out of the frame right below the cab area, and what i would do is weld a piece or rectangler tubing in that area to strenghten the frame and then box the whole thing in. so i would like some feed back from you guys on my idea here, this isnt going to be a show thuck of any kind just a driver
Old 02-01-2008, 07:40 AM   #35
1-ton of fun
polishing a turd

why do you want to cut the frame? i don't understand what you're trying to accomplish.

53 buick special - straight 8 sled - blow through turbo
47 gmc - flatbed hot rod build
99 ford econoline e350 - 4x4 converted family roadtrip/overlanding rig AKA 'Monstervan' AKA 'Daddy-Van'
1-ton of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:09 AM   #36
pugs

i m going after that lowered look, dont have money to buy big ticketed parts, and by channeling the frame alittle it will help me on the appearence i looking for
Old 02-01-2008, 11:41 AM   #37
1-ton of fun
polishing a turd

i would follow your plan except for the frame cutting. you should consider notching the front too if you stay with a straight axle. i don't know from practice on these trucks, but it seems like you can get them pretty low with just notches

it sounds like you want to section the frame to lower the cab down some. you will have to modify the frame where the core support mounts also to get the front fenders to mount, and the bed won't line up either. out of the box thinking is great, but i don't think that this is a good idea.

53 buick special - straight 8 sled - blow through turbo
47 gmc - flatbed hot rod build
99 ford econoline e350 - 4x4 converted family roadtrip/overlanding rig AKA 'Monstervan' AKA 'Daddy-Van'
1-ton of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:41 PM   #38
pugs

I am considering notching the the frame above the front axle, only going with a 2" C style notch, just enough to give alittle more clearence for the bump stop. now it mite condesending with wanting to cut 2-2.5" down from the top of the frame, but 2 reasons, 1 to me not enough room with the str8 axle set to actually Z the frame, 2 im not wanting to have to z the rear or give a high notch to have the truck sitting alittle more level, would be different if i was going independant front and bagging the truck. as far as the rad support i will be ok and the bed im not worried about cuz i can raise the floor up alilte. plud i did consider the steering and i have a plan to work that out too. Im not jumping in and saying this not understanding what has to be done i did alittle homework and took measurements and i think it will work just asking opinions even tho its my truck and will do what i want but this is a great forum with alot of guys and girls with good ideas and im just looking to do something abit out of the norm
Old 02-02-2008, 07:27 AM   #39
pugs

here are a few pics, 1st couple of pass. side hinge area, other pics of the look im after

Old 02-03-2008, 03:01 AM   #40
53lochevy

U can order the 2inch drop spindles with new pins.
53lochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:22 AM   #41
pugs

who has the spindles i searched before and didnt see anything for the straight axle
Old 02-03-2008, 03:27 AM   #42
53lochevy

http://www.nolimit.net/prodinfo.asp?number=CP%2D5559DA
heres the link for the drop str axle I'm still looking for the spindles I have it mark in favorites will send as soon as i find it
Old 02-03-2008, 03:30 AM   #43
53lochevy

http://www.nolimit.net/prodinfo.asp?number=CP%2D5559DA
heres another one i may be wrong and just the str axle but I know I've seen them
http://www.classicperform.com/Store/...cks/4754DA.htm

heres the link for the drop str axle I'm still looking for the spindles I have it mark in favorites will send as soon as i find it
Old 02-03-2008, 05:21 AM   #44
GKsport67

Good Luck!
Thats the next year chevy i wanna tackle 57chevy. I wanna get my bread up & enjoy my 67 to the max.
GKsport67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:02 AM   #45
pugs

thanx, since i got somewhat normal size tires/wheels on it now i think ill be ok with just going to reverse eye main springs,be about another 2-3" ill be low enough to handle the Pa roads around here. it wont be a show truck just a driver. just ordered a few parts from Jon 2 tri-pro, parts will be here monday/tuesday next week,till then mabye i should clean the garage up abit(yea right)
Old 02-05-2008, 01:03 PM   #46
pugs

Igot the other step plare done over the weekend and started cleaning up the rear part of the frame up to the cab. while looking over the frame i noticed the upper shock mount member was off alittle onthe passenger side so i removed the old one an will get a new piece of 3.5" c-channel and replace it. alose going to replace the very end of the frame rials as the are tweeked abile and the bumper mount holes are are egged out. I was thinking about going with reverse eye springs, ? is can the main eye leaf be removed and just be dearched and flipped around. or will I just have to dearch the springs 2" and leave at that. i will get some pics this week, kidis using the camera this weekend
Old 02-05-2008, 02:57 PM   #47
69Chevy3/4ton

Looking good man. Keep up the good work and keep taking pictures.

Darrell
69Chevy3/4ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:13 PM   #48
pugs

got my parts from tri-pro today,thanx again Jon. so i wanted to get the placement of the cab corners, started cutting on the passenger side and of course the was patches over patches,

panel in place

and the drivers side

pic of the rear,machine shop bending me up a new upper shock mount crossmember. i dont remember the rear looking like this in my 56 i had a few yrs ago

Old 02-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #49
pugs

a few more pics,cleamed upthe garage abit made some more roomtowork around and the got the cab of the frame using my engine hoist

Old 02-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #50
pugs

started working on the driver side inner can corner, need to do alittle fine tuning to it toget the outter cab coner to match up properly, also got the passenger side cut out also