The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2005, 03:19 PM   #26
shifty
Questionable

Damn, I can't find any 12-gauge pink wire anywhere!

I found the coil - the '75 Camaro also had HEI on a 250-L6. 77Nova showed the wrong part . Damned auto parts stores.

Trying to pull this off today. Will post back.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 01:09 AM   #27
Kas68c10

vet is right, 10 guage wire to fuse box !!!!
1968 SWB Stepside, 250,pwr disc brake and tilt pwr steering, 5 spd tranny, HEI,Accel coil,K&N filter,Seat from a later truck with built in seatbelts, front and rear sway bars, moved gas tank to under the bed, headman hedders, new chrome bumpers,one wire alternator,Weber k550cub carburator...WORK IN PROGRESS, Freeland MI , Just bought a 72 Jimmy!!!!!!!!!!!
Kas68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 07:37 AM   #28
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I wouldn't get too hung up on 10 guage or 12 guage or whatever.

I usually just cut out the resistance section of the original wire and splice in a section of 14 guage.

Think about it this way, the supply wire for the electrical system isn't that big either. Why run a 10 guage distributor wire when the wire feeding the whole fuse box is not that big?
Old 03-26-2005, 12:58 PM   #29
shifty
Questionable

Tex is right - a signal is only as strong as its weakest link. Kinda reminds me of people I'd see come into the stereo shop with one 10-gauge wire going into a fuse block and splitting it ouw to four more 10-gauge wires...as though that would provide adequate power. If you're running a 4-gauge or 6-gauge wire to a four-way 10-gauge split, that would work....

Maybe I should just rewire everything

Seriously though, I'm on a mission today to find pink wire. I'm taking photos. I'll post a FAQ entry next week unless problems occur.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:44 PM   #30
Kas68c10

I just know it made a difference to my truck when i used a bigger gauge wire, and ran it directly to fuse box, as opposed to splicing it in....
1968 SWB Stepside, 250,pwr disc brake and tilt pwr steering, 5 spd tranny, HEI,Accel coil,K&N filter,Seat from a later truck with built in seatbelts, front and rear sway bars, moved gas tank to under the bed, headman hedders, new chrome bumpers,one wire alternator,Weber k550cub carburator...WORK IN PROGRESS, Freeland MI , Just bought a 72 Jimmy!!!!!!!!!!!
Kas68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 04:54 PM   #31
shifty
Questionable

I'm actually going to run direct from the fusebox. I'm using a thick-strand 14-gauge wire. Home Depot had some (I kept the SKU# for the FAQ), it was listed as 'red' but it was really pink in color. Seems to be perfect for the job, even though it's a little more rigid than I would like, it's gasoline resistant and heat resistant, so that's what I needed.

I'm going downstairs to work on the truck. I'm taking pictures as I go. I'm going to try to post a FAQ entry tomorrow or monday if all goes well. Gotta have the truck up and running by tomorrow to go help a friend pick up a new washer/dryer.