The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #26
ole dollor

Re: 68 chevy is it for real ???

ItsRandy: just can't understand why someone would or could loose that much money on a truck. you said you would be keeping yours...this man is trying to sell his, its a sharp truck, and i guess some one will buy the truck, most of the time you can buy a tricked out truck cheaper that you can build one, just like this truck....i guess i am just old school , or maybe grew up in a way different time....everyone hear can spend as much on there truck as they want to, i know i have more in mine than i expected to, and i plan on doing more as i can....like others have stated depends on how deep your pockets are...i have watched the TV shows where all the big name builders build these great cars and trucks, but in my mind i just can't make it work....i guess i just don't get it, and i guess i never will....and maybe it will work out for me ....i hope your truck works out for you, good luck on your build....have fun with it.
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:06 AM   #27
ItsRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole dollor View Post
ItsRandy: just can't understand why someone would or could loose that much money on a truck. you said you would be keeping yours...this man is trying to sell his, its a sharp truck, and i guess some one will buy the truck, most of the time you can buy a tricked out truck cheaper that you can build one, just like this truck....i guess i am just old school , or maybe grew up in a way different time....everyone hear can spend as much on there truck as they want to, i know i have more in mine than i expected to, and i plan on doing more as i can....like others have stated depends on how deep your pockets are...i have watched the TV shows where all the big name builders build these great cars and trucks, but in my mind i just can't make it work....i guess i just don't get it, and i guess i never will....and maybe it will work out for me ....i hope your truck works out for you, good luck on your build....have fun with it.
Thank you, here's my truck.
Attached Images

ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:17 AM   #28
chevysrumble

Who`s throwing stones, I was not saying anything negative about the truck.

I have been doing this for many years and do respect anyones vehicle regardless , if they are happy with it, then that is what really matters, not what I think.

The question was , how can you put that much money in a truck?? I know a lot of guys do their own work where they can and hire it where they can`t. I personally have to hire some of my work done, mainly spraying the paint on after I prep it, and I recognize I can`t do upholstery work, so I hire that done, point being I am just like a lot of other people, doing all I can and hiring what I can not.

Saying that, I also know a lot of people who either cannot or will not do any of their work, they hire it all or most of it done. How many stories have you heard about someone getting ripped off by someone else doing work for them, if you just read they are all over this board. Depending on the condition of what you have to start with also plays a big part with it.

I personally do not see 65k in parts on this truck, its a nice truck and the parts bill was high, but I do not see near that much.
chevysrumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:22 AM   #29
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole dollor View Post
Randy has owned this truck for 30 years. 20 of those years he used his truck for work and to support his family (old school style). I am quite certain that over those 20 years his truck made him a lot more than 30K. It is the truck his son grew up in and learned how to drive in. It is a member of his family, and in its retirement has received a royal restoration treatment to include a crate 502 and a show quality 2 stage paint job, not counting hundreds of hours of block sanding. Oh...and he planned this restoration and began saving for it 20 years ago so that he would not have to mortgage his house or use a credit card to do so. I don't think it gets any more Old School than that.
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #30
ole dollor

leddzepp: i totally agree with you, and i believe that our trucks will loose value as we drive them, just like the brand new ones do, if you invest in these trucks and drive them awhile you will be getting some of your money back, just in money saved in monthly payments. randy has a great truck, one that anyone would be proud to own, as long as he has had the truck, and plans to keep it and drive it and have fun with it , in the long run he will have made his money back, i fell the money that i have in ole dollor will be well spent, i will drive it and get my money back out of it, then may even pass it down to my grand son.to have fun with......
Old 10-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #31
davepl

I'll spend $40K on mine, completely stock, and that's doing every minute of labor except paint and body and upholstery by myself.

Figure on top of that 2000 hours of labor, and if you were paying someone to do it, that's another $150K right there, so it's easy to push $200K if you count labor (or pay someone to do it).

And if it's an L-88 Vette or a Hemi Cuda Convertible, you might get it back. On our trucks it better be a labor of love, because you'll lose it all when you sell it.

My solution is never to sell anything... but that has its own problems!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:56 PM   #32
ItsRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post

Figure on top of that 2000 hours of labor...
You're supposed to add your labor into how much money you spent on your truck? Oh...that changes things. I'll have to get my calculator out...I'll get back to you.
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #33
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke1 View Post
I have $35,000 in receipts for parts so far, not including my labour, so the answer is YES you can.
100%

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #34
c10srule

you can put a lot of money in real quick, myself i wouldnt put that much in one, i have 10 grand in parts in mine thats to include the bad ass 477 in it, everything on this truck is new hard lines cab mounts you name it, we built my wifes for 7 grand to include the 1000 purchase price, i build shortbeds every few months with anywhere from 2,000 to 3,500 in them and sell them for a five grand profit, these arent just cheapy paint jobs hashed together, i tear them all the way down to the cab and gut the cab, if you farm the work out it gets pricey quick but a really nice truck can be built for a whole lot less, it depends on what your going for, but it is real easy to put thousands in one in a hurry it just depends on what you want to do to it and what goodies you want on it, heres a pic of the last truck i built, had 3,500 in it to include purchase, it turned out show quality, sold it for 10 grand
Attached Images

c10srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #35
ole dollor

c10srule : now that's what its all about.....i like it a lot.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #36
AusTx68

I met a guy in my town with a 69' C-10. It's a 700+ hp retro-mod. At last check he's in over $150k. And he runs a shop!
Old 10-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #37
sduckworth13

I know a guy with a 40,000.00 1972 cheyenne truck for sale and is asking 15000.00 seriously. And he still can't sell it.