The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2016, 07:05 PM   #26
Huggerorangeblood

Re: Where's the best place to get a wiring harness?

I have a 1972 Chevrolet SWB K10 with factory air. I'm looking for OEM type harness. Only change I have is HEI distributor. I don't mind new style fuses but I want plug and play as much as I can.

Price is not the biggest concern. I want a complete harness and good quality.
Huggerorangeblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:35 PM   #27
TheRocket

We are in the final steps of a rewire on a 1971 C10 longbed using a Painless Performance chassis harness. Opening the box upon its arrival, I was instantly impressed with the quality of the product. My sons are the experts in this install and they were equally impressed. The truck came with a 250 inline six and a three-on-the-tree. It now has a locally built 350 and a 700R4 transmission in it. On top is the fuel injection from a 1989 Firebird, courtesy of one of my sons. I purchased the 67-72 harness, their Classic Braid loom and their Easy Install Tool. We have loomed everything, in part because of the quality of the loom and, since there is so much of it, in part for the appearance of the loom. Every wire has a loom around it. You do have to add grounds at certain points. We have found one wire so far that is not labeled but everything else we have found labeled which makes it easy to route and to install. As I said, every wire has been loomed, even the wires under the dash and the wires to the dome light. Buy the tool; you'll be glad you did. The computer is EZ-EFI from Fuel, Air, Spark.

Painless has a $150.00 rebate going on now through December 31, 2016, when purchased through a Painless retailer.

Good luck.
TheRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:06 PM   #28
HO455
Post Whore

I replaced the dash harness in my Burban this fall with a stock replacement. I was able to compare the AAW version and the H&M version with my old one prior. Both looked like they used the same hard parts. The only difference I was able to see was that the H&M harness was wrapped tigher and and more in the style of the original. Having once been an electrician I appreciated this fact that most people wouldn't ever notice or have an issue with. But the deciding factor came down to lead times. The H&M was 8-12 weeks out and the AAW would ship in 10 days. As such I went with the AAW, which plugged in and worked with no issues. The only side note is that when I compared the harness I got with my original there was a difference in the wire locations in the headlight switch. When I called to ask about this they picked right up and said they used the last update schematics that GM used so there would be small difference's. And if something failed to operate correctly to call them. I did use a H&M heater harness and it was good. The difference in price between one of these and the generic styles is your labor is required to finish. If your patience and your skills are up to the task have some fun and make a custom harness that matches your personal truck. I'm almost done with a 69 Camaro AAW custom installation right now but it isn't plug and play. The fuse block had to trimmed up to fit. And I have had to come up with the convertible top wiring differences as their kit is only for hardtops. I will have about twenty hours in the job when it is finished. It is a complete restoration so that includes battery/starter conections and the hideaway conversion. In comparison the truck would be much easier do to the fact there is so much more room under the dash and the top doesn't move.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:26 PM   #29
TheRocket

One thing I need to tell you about the Painless kit. It comes with a bulkhead connector that will require some modification to the firewall to make it fit as it is slightly larger than the original. It does use blade type fuses, which I like.

I saved all of the old wiring. The pickup was repainted several years ago and there is overspray on the old fuse box which makes it hard to read the circuit descriptions. I would be happy to give this to somebody if they would like to try to make it work or use some of it on a repair. All you have to do is message me and pay for the freight to ship it to you. Son tried to remove it intact, to the extent possible. I am not sure of the status of the wiring to the bed.
TheRocket is offline   Reply With Quote