The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2010, 06:33 AM   #26
gavinmosher

Re: Wont Fire.... Need any input....

alright guys... went and loosened the rockers, tried to fire her up.... nothing again.... rolled it around to what i thought to be top dead center rotor was pointing at number one.... Not quite understanding this 180 out stuff.... if i turned it 180 wouldnt the rotor be pointing to the 6th cylinder????? AND i know i sound like a moron but im new to the older stuff all my vehicles have been 95+ except for this one.... SO back to what i did... i pulled the harmonic balancer water pump and timing chain cover to check if the timing chain was loose at all or any broken or bent teeth on timing gears... nothing and hardley any slack in the chain.... heading to the auto parts store on thursday to get new gaskets and put it all back together.... Anything i may be missing? should i just order a 60 dollar distrubitor off ebay and try that? im running out of options i suppose...
gavinmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:12 AM   #27
joe231

make sure you get the plug wires in the correct firing order with the correct distributor rotation. If you get the rotation backwards it will act like you are describing
Old 05-27-2011, 03:28 PM   #28
iceship

Is that diagrame the same for a 87 silverado
iceship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:09 PM   #29
iceship

Ok ... . .. I found it... it is. Different for a 87
iceship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #30
mooseknuckles

sounds to me like its out on the timing....pull the #1 cyl spark plug, stick your finger over the hole and get a buddy to bump the key till you feel the air being pushed out of the spark plug hole, stop and take off the dist. cap and see if the rotor is pointing at the #1 terminal on the cap.(the one in the pic) if its not, you have to take the distributor out and turn it a little forwards or backwards,(depending on what # it was pointing at) and drop it back in. if it doesnt go all the way in you may have to turn the oil pump gear with a long scewdriver to get it to drop in with rotor pointed at #1. doublecheck that all the plug wires are on correctly, and if you have spark and fuel it should fire...hopefully your rockers arent to far out of adjustment now! if their too tight it will run poorly if at all...
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote