The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
Hagelin

Re: Building My Grandfather's 64 C10

Really nice truck!
Hagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
Flathead Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64C10Fleet View Post
.....Any idea where these hubcaps came from?...
I don’t think anyone has answered this yet so…

I'm fairly certain those hubcaps came from a 1956 Chevrolet Car. I think (not entirely sure though) that the 1955 Chevy also used the same hubcap, but with a white strip. They were most likely used on the higher end vehicles like a Bel Air or maybe even a 210, whereas a 150 would just have a dog dish caps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64C10Fleet View Post
…. My grandfather was a HUGE fan of the Powerglide transmission. He tried to stuff one in just about every vehicle he ever owned. As far as I can tell, this truck came with a Powerglide and V8 from the factory. Naturally, I'll keep the Powerglide in it for now. This truck will be a daily driver when its complete (Why build something if you can't drive it?), so I may end up swapping the Powerglide for something else later depending on how much highway driving I do.
The Powerglide is great transmission. I run one in my truck and plan on keeping it. Unless you go to an overdrive transmission it is no different in high than any other transmission in that high is a 1:1 ratio. The other transmissions just give more gear multiplication in low gear, but that also means more shock for the rear axle and driveshaft.

Plus Powerglides have that cool blower whine in park and neutral.

Last edited by Flathead Smith; 08-15-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Flathead Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
64C10Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagelin View Post
Really nice truck!
Thanks Hagelin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead Smith View Post
I don’t think anyone has answered this yet so…

I'm fairly certain those hubcaps came from a 1956 Chevrolet Car. I think (not entirely sure though) that the 1955 Chevy also used the same hubcap, but with a white strip. They were most likely used on the higher end vehicles like a Bel Air or maybe even a 210, whereas a 150 would just have a dog dish caps.
I'll have to look into that. I'm just curious how they ended up on the truck and why. I assume is has something to do with the original wheels being swapped for a slightly wider wheel at some point.

Back to the engine... Two nights ago we measured everything to get an idea of what we were working with before going any further. Cylinders were at max wear and one of the mains was way off, so I decided to scrap the block and start over. My old block isn't a total loss, it can be line bored and have the cylinders bored to .060. Of course, this will be a street truck and I don't want the extra heat that comes along with that.

Last night we spent about 4 hours looking through the pile of old blocks at the shop. I think we tore down 7 or 8 blocks and as luck would have it the last block standing was the only one that won't be making a trip to the scrap yard this weekend. We found a .030 over four bolt with a broken rod. So we'll bore this one to .040 and install all of my parts. I worked out a deal to swap my used .030 over pistons for a new set of .040 over.

I picked up all of the stuff I needed to put the front brakes back together. My neighbors will be happy after this weekend when I bolt the brakes back on and reinstall the wheels. I was going to be cheap and only replace the faulty parts, but I changed my mind and bought everything new.

And finally, after months of calling (and threatening, lol)... I GOT THE TITLE!! I'm going to the DMV today!
64C10Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
64C10Fleet

Slow couple of weeks here. I've been out in the desert teaching grunts how to drive offroad. Yeah, I know... probably not a good idea.

Finally found a good block after tearing 12 down, lucky number 13. Block was bored on Saturday and will start assembling as soon as the new rings come in (I somehow forgot to buy new rings when I ordered all the other stuff a few weeks ago).

Front brakes and suspension are DONE. Feels good to say something is actually finished.

Got the first fine from my HOA last Friday. I think I'll hang them all up in the garage as they come in each month!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
64C10Fleet

Seems like it has been a REALLY long time. I spent the last couple of months searching for the parts for the engine and assembling everything. For the last two weeks, I've been running the engine on the stand and tuning. Finished tuning tonight and it is ready to bolt in.

Name:  Picture 002.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  69.9 KB

I finished up the steering last week. Everything was relatively new, just needed a good cleaning, fresh paint, and assembly. I installed new boots on the tie rods.

Hope to make some progress between now and January 2nd. I have a lot of time off over the next few weeks, just need the weather to work in my favor.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
64C10Fleet

Sooo... This thing is sucking down about 2 gallons in a little over an hour at idle, haha! We ran it out of gas on the stand, here's a video of startup after adding some fuel.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
Zane M

Just read through your build.
Congrats on getting your Grandpa's truck. When mine died, his wife wouldn't sell his to me(but did sell it to a family friend???).
Looking forward to the rest of your progress.
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
Ta2Don

Just read thru your build... Welcome aboard... Great story... Great progress...subscribed!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
Low Elco

Great Build! The sound deadener is called Peel-n-Seal. Lowes in the roofing Dept. Like 8" wide in the store or you can order bigger online. Works awesome, I have 3 rolls worth in Yeller. Keep it up!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #10
chevyrestoguy

Peel and Seal works great. I recently did the area behind the dash in my '64, and I bought the stuff on a whim thinking that it might work. After I laid the first piece in and rolled it nice and flat, I was blown away. Honestly, the stuff works just as good as some of the expensive stuff out there. And, your friendly neighborhood Lowes store always has it in stock.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #11
64C10Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Great Build! The sound deadener is called Peel-n-Seal. Lowes in the roofing Dept. Like 8" wide in the store or you can order bigger online. Works awesome, I have 3 rolls worth in Yeller. Keep it up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
Peel and Seal works great. I recently did the area behind the dash in my '64, and I bought the stuff on a whim thinking that it might work. After I laid the first piece in and rolled it nice and flat, I was blown away. Honestly, the stuff works just as good as some of the expensive stuff out there. And, your friendly neighborhood Lowes store always has it in stock.
Thanks for your input guys, really appreciate it.

I did some research yesterday and I read a lot of posts on different forums where people complained about Peel n Seal melting and/or coming loose in hot climates. Others talked about how great the stuff worked and seemed really happy with it. I live in SC and the inside temperature of the vehicle easily reaches 130 degrees in the summer, so the negative comments concerning heat left me thinking it might not be the best option for me. In the end, I don't want to hear anything inside the vehicle; I want to be able to hold a conversation without having to shout.

I called up a good friend that runs a stereo shop and asked for his opinion. We talked for a while about my end goal for sound deadening and came up with what he says is the best solution. So... he recommends I buy two bulk packs of Dynamat to do my firewall, floor, rear cab wall, and inside of the doors. He said I should also put in the "bubble wrap stuff" (I can't remember the official name) and jute for the carpet.

Seems I always start out thinking about doing things the cheap and easy way on this truck and then end up going the exact opposite direction, haha. At least I'll get the material at cost this time, can't complain there.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:50 AM   #12
64C10Fleet

My wife and I celebrated our 11 year wedding anniversary today. I think we were even more excited about dropping the final payment on my daily driver. No truck payment equals more money to put in the C10.

It was 83 degrees here in Summerville, SC today. I took advantage of the beautiful weather and put a full day in on the truck. My youngest daughter and I took a parts run this morning that lasted over 2 hours. We had to go to several different stores to find everything I was looking for. I picked up the rest of the parts to complete my rear brakes (shoes and self adjusters) and just about everything I needed to complete things under the hood. Got an upper and lower radiator hose, battery and cables, throttle return spring and bracket, oil pressure switch, exhaust manifold donuts and downpipes, factory replacement terminals, and a bunch of brackets to hold down brake lines and wiring... it was like Christmas all over again.

This evening I jumped online and ordered the inner fender seals, firewall grommets, and radiator core support mount set from Brothers.

And as if all of that wasn't enough, I logged into LMC and ordered new bushings for the factory panhard, heat sheilds for my spark plug wires and all the hold down brackets, a heater seal kit, and one of those universal coolant overflow kits.

Best part... I got all that stuff for under $300. Well, the battery was under warranty so I just had them swap it out.

Got the hood hinges and springs installed today, along with most of the stuff I bought for under the hood. Also started on the rear brakes. I finished installing the shoes and all the new hardware, but the drums seem really tight, even with the adjusters all the way in. I think I might take the drums and have them turned tomorrow morning.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #13
notsolo

For sound deadening I used this( www.lobucrod.com ) over the top of Rattle trap. Truck is looking sweet.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:08 PM   #14
dantimdad

Great build!

I have a 65 falcon as well.

What did you do to the fuel sending unit to make it work with the chevy gauge?

I was planning on using a falcon tank and couldn't figure that part out so I ditched the idea. If I could make it work it would save a bunch of money.

Thanks,
Steven

Matt. 6:27 "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?”

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...=507266&page=2
dantimdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:46 AM   #15
64C10Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantimdad View Post
Great build!

I have a 65 falcon as well.

What did you do to the fuel sending unit to make it work with the chevy gauge?

I was planning on using a falcon tank and couldn't figure that part out so I ditched the idea. If I could make it work it would save a bunch of money.

Thanks,
Steven
Man, I just typed up a whole page write up on how to reside the sending unit to match, but my fat fingers hit the wrong button on the iPhone and I lost it.

Send me a PM with your number and a good time to call tomorrow and I'll call and explain the process.

--Josh
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #16
Low Elco

Great Progress! Sorry about your gig. Truck stuff is coing along great, good to see Momma so on board with it, must be nice.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #17
64C10Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Great Progress! Sorry about your gig. Truck stuff is coing along great, good to see Momma so on board with it, must be nice.
Hey, thanks! No worries, I was tired of the job anyway. For the first time since I was 14 I don't have a job, but I'm debt free. I enjoy spending time with the kids and working on the truck. Not sure I want to go back anytime soon.

I definitely couldn't do this without my wife. A few nights ago I told her I was going to buy something for the truck that cost around $700, but it was something I could do without. She looked at me and said "after all the money you spent so far, don't start taking short cuts now." I think she's a keeper, haha!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #18
rob_stang2000

Wow what a great build.
I have just bought my grandpas old 66 that he bought new. My dad had the truck, and now I have it. It is in about the same shape yours was in and has all the same issues. It also has the exact same hubcaps that yours had on it. I also have no clue where they came from they look somewhat like the 50’s chevy ones but I haven’t found an exact match. I have decide to keep them on the truck because that is how I always remember it.
I am also not able to work on my truck in the garage because it has all my other projects in it and I have to resort to working in my drive way.
I also am in the middle of installing a Ford fuel tank just like you did. If you don’t mind can you PM me how you did it also. I have a good idea of what I’m going to do but would love to hear how you did it.
I was going to start a build trend, but it think people would think I was just trying to copy you. LOL
Keep up the good work I love what you have done so far.
rob_stang2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #19
64C10Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_stang2000 View Post
Wow what a great build.
I have just bought my grandpas old 66 that he bought new. My dad had the truck, and now I have it. It is in about the same shape yours was in and has all the same issues. It also has the exact same hubcaps that yours had on it. I also have no clue where they came from they look somewhat like the 50’s chevy ones but I haven’t found an exact match. I have decide to keep them on the truck because that is how I always remember it.
I am also not able to work on my truck in the garage because it has all my other projects in it and I have to resort to working in my drive way.
I also am in the middle of installing a Ford fuel tank just like you did. If you don’t mind can you PM me how you did it also. I have a good idea of what I’m going to do but would love to hear how you did it.
I was going to start a build trend, but it think people would think I was just trying to copy you. LOL
Keep up the good work I love what you have done so far.
Thats awesome! And you should definitely start a thread, I certainly wa not the first to do some of the things I did to this truck. PM me your number and a good time to call.

Look forward to talking with you!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #20
allaboutchevelles

Your truck is coming along nicely. I also went down to the pee dee street rodders car show at the beach. It was my first time to that show and I had a blast. I walked all day saturday looking at cars and dont think I saw all of them.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:47 AM   #21
Benny00z71

great lookin truck!
Benny00z71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #22
64C10Fleet

I give up in trying to attach photos from my iPhone, haha!

Quick update, I know it stinks without pics... We have the front end painted and installed, that includes everything forward of the doors. There must have been a gallon of filler in the hood when we started. I spent the better part of a day with a hammer and dolly straightening the dents.

I completed all the panel replacement on the driver side and fitted the bed.

I now have all of my parts!! Installed an American harness last week along with a Boese Engineering gauge cluster and Autometer gauges (I know I change my mind way too often) and began my stereo install. I've been getting burned out on the welding so I started skipping around a little bit to keep things fun.

Seat came back from upholsterer last week and looks amazing.

I have a few spare parts if anyone is interested... Have gas tank straps and the lower mounts that were spot welded to the floor and rear wall. Have an almost brand new alternator and external regulator I ditched after deciding on the new harness.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2013, 11:01 PM   #23
64C10Fleet

Finally finished all the sheet metal work!!! I never thought I'd say that.

I hit all the bare metal and surface rust with POR. Sanded the dash, ceiling, and rear wall down yesterday and painted this morning. Paint dried pretty fast and I was able to get started on laying down the sound deadening material today. I finished the firewall and rear cab wall after laying down new seam sealer. Installed the new firewall pad this evening, too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #24
68longhorn

lookin good! still think you'll make it to OC?
68longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #25
64C10Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68longhorn View Post
lookin good! still think you'll make it to OC?
Thanks, little bit more each day... That's the only way to do it. I won't make it to OC, my painter is tied up with dent repair from a recent hail storm. We're shooting for end of month completion.

I finished laying down Dynamat yesterday. Installed freshly painted steering wheel installed today along with new sun visors and mirror bracket. I also began stereo install today. I'm using a Memphis blue tooth receiver and mounting the controls in the ash tray. I'll be able to stream music from my phone to the receiver and play through JL 6.5" kick panel speakers and a JL 10" sub mounted behind the seat. I mounted the amp that came with the unit this afternoon on the top of the glove box insert and ran the wiring for the sub amp.

I've had quite a bit of trouble finding someone to install a new windshield in my truck, so I decided tonight to do it myself. I pulled it a few minutes ago and plan to reinstall tomorrow after I clean up the surface a bit. Good news is... No rust!!!
Posted via Mobile Device