The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2015, 02:45 PM   #26
toolboxchev

Re: Thoughts on how safe our trucks are

Not very safe in my opinion. Mine was clobbered in the rear at about 30 while I was at a dead stop.

I could hear the tires scream for a brief second. My Big Ass bumper is bent, the frame is bent ( not to bad 3/4 of an inch ). Tailgate got mushed inside, exhaust all loosened up, front end out of alignment, shocks toast. And I have not had it to the body shop yet!

His vehicle was totaled, it was bleeding green from the class 5 hitch, that is most likely saving me from further damage. I am very grateful for that rear work bumper. Had it been a chrome fancy pants one I would have been in much worse shape.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 02:47 PM   #27
cdowns

these trucks are pretty much as safe as can b depends a lot on the nut behind the wheel to how really safe they can b tho little or no skill leads to more and bigger crashes
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:21 PM   #28
57taskforce
All about them K’s

These threads seem to come up here from time to time, I generally avoid them but I'll bite this time. No one else can answer what is right for your family. If your not sure about it follow your gut. As for my opinion on these trucks, they don't have air bags,abs, blah blah... And I love them that much more for that reason. They are simple and they are tough as nails. I'd rather drive the old stuff than the new anyday of the week. Everything we do in life is a gamble, when it's your time to go it's your time to go. These old trucks are important to me and my family and we'll drive them till we no longer are able. Granted I'm fortunate to live in the middle of nowhere more or less and don't have to worry much about other drivers and city traffic these days. If I did it wouldn't stop me from taking my family around in my trucks.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:41 PM   #29
trac209

It's not how the vehicle fairs in the crash that matters as much as how you fair in the passenger compartment. Real metal don't mean anything if that's what you come in contact with as well inside the vehicle. New stuff is safer due to that fact. Better belts and airbags are saving more lives then a 6 foot long hood in front of you ever could.
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:06 PM   #30
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

As much is I love my old trucks. They are cruise night cruisers. My Tacoma will always be my daily driver.
Canuckvetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:45 PM   #31
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

The largest factor in the SMALL percentage of people that die from air bag impacts is because they're not wearing their damn seatbelt. Airbags ONLY work if you're wearing your seatbelt, they were designed to work together. They become a danger when you are not wearing it.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:16 PM   #32
Coley

Actually one thing most people don't realize is that our trucks and their drivers are safer on the road now because of all the new vehicles on the road.
Remember a crumple zone does not have to be on both vehicles....its a shared area or zone. If it happens to be on a car you hit (or hits you) you both benefit from the crumple.
Keep some perspective....we have never been safer on the road than we are today....so live your life and believe that your kids will be fine because the chances are without a doubt that they will be just fine.
Enjoy the holidays.
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:04 PM   #33
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
these trucks are pretty much as safe as can b depends a lot on the nut behind the wheel to how really safe they can b tho little or no skill leads to more and bigger crashes
"cdowns" rubs a lot of people the wrong way (he's even had that effect on me) but he's usually right.

I feel, based on my own experience and what I've seen is this. Most people do the following three things that causes crashes:

1). THEY DRIVE TOO FAST.

2). THEY FOLLOW TOO CLOSELY.

3). THEY DO NOT PAY ATTENTION TO THE ROAD AND THREATS.

If your child can realize the three things above, she'll most likely be fine. Of course, you have to look out of the other guy!

I hit a black bear last month in my 2002 Honda Accord. I drove it home and I'm still driving it. A lady hit the same bear, no more than 10 seconds after I hit it and her new Chevy Traverse left on a flat bed and if her husband had any sense about him, would have forced her to leave in the ambulance I called for her (she didn't know what had happened even an hour after the impact).

I drive 55 on the interstate. I pay a lot of attention. I saw movement and started slowing down. She was probably going 70 or more (limit is 70 in WV) and she never saw it. (At 55 I have a lot more reaction time than someone doing 70, it's way easier for me to stop, and I get 25% better gas mileage than I do at 70).

Accept the risks, explain the risks to your daughter, and buy her a bluetooth and maybe one of those "hands free text" devices. Put in a fire extinguisher she can actually get to and make sure she can use it (test with a gasoline fire). Make sure she can change a tire and keep the spare pumped up. Put in a powerful flashlight. Teach her how to avoid angry drivers and how to be alert for them.

I think quite a few women (and even a few men) have fallen victim to roving predators because they had to wait for help to change a tire.

Once my truck is back together and running, I will put on a period correct grill guard and I will either find an original step bumper or weld up one. On the flip side, I am NOT moving the fuel tank or putting in shoulder belts. I may later, but not right now.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:15 PM   #34
catch2otwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 CRACKERBOX View Post
I personally think you are alot safer in an older truck.than anything new.they were made out of real metal, not plasic and beer cans.as far as seats belts,that is a good thing about the older trucks you do not have to have them. I will not use them. I have rebuilt to many wrecked big trucks where driver would have been killed if they had wore a seat belt. not been able to get out of the drivers seat,I will not be straped in to something where you can't get out of the way.same thing about air bags I unhook them in anything I have.I have seen them kill older people when they come out so hard.So I feel alot safer in an older truck after all it weighs twice as much as most cars today. I will not even ride in these newer little cars.I know alot of you will not agree with me, but this is my opinion. thats my 2 cent for what it is worth.
Good luck, you are going to need it
catch2otwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:50 PM   #35
67ChevyRedneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
I feel, based on my own experience and what I've seen is this. Most people do the following three things that causes crashes:

1). THEY DRIVE TOO FAST.

2). THEY FOLLOW TOO CLOSELY.

3). THEY DO NOT PAY ATTENTION TO THE ROAD AND THREATS.

I drive 55 on the interstate. I pay a lot of attention. I saw movement and started slowing down. She was probably going 70 or more (limit is 70 in WV) and she never saw it. (At 55 I have a lot more reaction time than someone doing 70, it's way easier for me to stop, and I get 25% better gas mileage than I do at 70).
Since you're mentioning factors that can cause accidents... driving 55 mph in a 70 mph zone can cause wrecks as well. While it may be legal to do 55 in a 70, you run the risk of some idiot coming up behind you doing 75-80 and not being able to move over or slow down in time.

Just being honest... If I came up behind you on a 70mph interstate doing 55 I would likely cuss you out (to myself - I try to not get too pissed anymore).
Project "On a Dime"
Old 12-28-2015, 07:09 PM   #36
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
Since you're mentioning factors that can cause accidents... driving 55 mph in a 70 mph zone can cause wrecks as well. While it may be legal to do 55 in a 70, you run the risk of some idiot coming up behind you doing 75-80 and not being able to move over or slow down in time.

Just being honest... If I came up behind you on a 70mph interstate doing 55 I would likely cuss you out (to myself - I try to not get too pissed anymore).
So what you are saying is, "it's not a 'speed limit' it's a 'speed minimum' and the person in front is responsible for accidents, not the person in the back." Personally, I wouldn't type such things onto a discussion forum, just in case your car insurance agent happened to read those. Further, admitting that you might have anger issues is another thing best left off the internet.

Seriously brother, if you cannot look ahead and see that traffic is moving slower than you are, and be smart enough to get over into the passing lane and pass before you get trapped behind the slower vehicle, well, there are some driving courses you may need to take. Just being honest.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:17 PM   #37
joeydurango

These threads never end well. Opinions... we all got 'em, but we all don't need to agree! Do what makes the most sense to you for you and yours. Just make sure you think about it first. I sure wish I had, would have saved some cash...
1976 Trans Am | 455/4-spd | TOTALED
joeydurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:43 PM   #38
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydurango View Post
These threads never end well. Opinions... we all got 'em, but we all don't need to agree! Do what makes the most sense to you for you and yours. Just make sure you think about it first. I sure wish I had, would have saved some cash...
No kidding!

Hopefully whatever he decides works for him and his daughter.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:58 PM   #39
Lattimer

Quote:
Seriously brother, if you cannot look ahead and see that traffic is moving slower than you are, and be smart enough to get over into the passing lane and pass before you get trapped behind the slower vehicle, well, there are some driving courses you may need to take. Just being honest.

Its not the slower driver's fault, and nothing wrong with it legally, but anyone SHOULD be able to recognize that moving substantially slower than the traffic around you can be a hazard.

All you need going 55 in a 70 is one driver on the phone doing 80, and you are now in a major accident.

The point was it is not necessarily safer going less than the speed limit. Especially on a major highway in a heavily traveled area, it can be as dangerous as speeding.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:10 PM   #40
davepl

If you're 55 in the left lane with a 55 limit and there are cars backed up behind you, you are breaking the law.

Saying that "Oh, they don't need me to follow the law and get out of the left lane because I'm already going the speed limit" is a fallacy - you AND the guy that's about to speed are BOTH going to break a law. One doesn't absolve the other. It ain't football and major fouls do not offset.

The biggest risk I face each day is where my 55mph, one-lane-each-way road goes through a shopping district where people pull out of Safeway at 20mph on the highway.

Speed kills, but deltas in speed kill quicker. Ten people doing 65 in a 55 is probably safe until they encounter grandma doing 45 or Timmy on his phone.

No tickets, no accidents, not pulled over since 1987. Outta my way. Unless I'm in my '70 GMC, then I'm the guy going 50. But I'll do it in the slow lane like the law says.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:26 PM   #41
67ChevyRedneck

Quote:
So what you are saying is, "it's not a 'speed limit' it's a 'speed minimum' and the person in front is responsible for accidents, not the person in the back." Personally, I wouldn't type such things onto a discussion forum, just in case your car insurance agent happened to read those. Further, admitting that you might have anger issues is another thing best left off the internet.

Take it as you want. Lets say worse case, it's dark out and cloudy, with no moon, no stars, and I come over the top of a hill expecting the car in front of me to be going at least 65-70 mph... yes, in this case, you are the dangerous one.

And I bet you thought all those times you got beeped at was because people liked your truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattimer View Post
Its not the slower driver's fault, and nothing wrong with it legally, but anyone SHOULD be able to recognize that moving substantially slower than the traffic around you can be a hazard.

All you need going 55 in a 70 is one driver on the phone doing 80, and you are now in a major accident.

The point was it is not necessarily safer going less than the speed limit. Especially on a major highway in a heavily traveled area, it can be as dangerous as speeding.
Yes, this is what I was "getting at." I've also seen people damn near wreck other people because they got stuck behind the slow car and had to cut into the freight train of cars in the passing lane to get over.

So again, slow is not necessarily "safe." See it every day on the SC highways and dieways. I drove 20-25 thousand miles a year for personal or work for a period of about 8 years. Saw all sorts of stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
The biggest risk I face each day is where my 55mph, one-lane-each-way road goes through a shopping district where people pull out of Safeway at 20mph on the highway.
This sounds like a safety issue that could be taken care of by petitioning the local DMV & DOT. Are there acceleration lanes? If not, the speed limit should be 35-45 mph.
Project "On a Dime"

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 12-28-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:19 PM   #42
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
This sounds like a safety issue that could be taken care of by petitioning the local DMV & DOT. Are there acceleration lanes? If not, the speed limit should be 35-45 mph.
Chief of Police died there in a head-on with a kid on my son's football team. Chief, his wife, the kid all killed instantly. If that doesn't get it fixed, nothing will.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:33 AM   #43
El Dorado Jim

Quote:

Here in Ca, if you are driving 55 in a 70 zone, you may get a ticket for impeding the flow of traffic, I always look ahead as far as possible, but have almost hit slow drivers, they are usually old people that aren't comfortable doing the speed limit, ,I know I will get old someday, just hope I don't end up being a hazard to someone and causing an accident
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:56 AM   #44
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Wow, she'd have the nicest truck at school. As far as safety, it really depends. Newer vehicles have come a long way in safety. Not worth much in the snow, and of course the gas tank is in the cab, but I've never heard of a specific incident where that was "a problem". If she's a good driver, lays off the BB, and doesn't drive it down the highway much, I wouldn't hesitate.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:09 AM   #45
4 Wheelin Fudpucker

Ill take my 79 Burb in a demo derby against 20 ricers and come out the last man standing
Old 12-29-2015, 02:27 AM   #46
In The Ten Ring

I recall the driver's license study guide saying something about "let off the accelerator when nearing the top of a hill." Darn kill joy DMV!

Rear end someone and explain it to the police (and the judge) how "it's the car in front's fault."

It is indeed illegal to use the passing lane if poking along. If you see me in the left lane, I'm passing someone even slower than me. It may be hard to believe but it has happened.

When in congested areas, I switch to "Charlotte Motor Speedway Mode." You NJ and CA drivers are safe though, the crazy gun laws alone keep me out.

As for my truck, with a 4.11 rear end, I don't plan on ever taking it on the interstate!

Now all you guys' advice and encouragement aside, had I been banging along at 70 like the lady that hit that bear, it might have killed me. It certainly would have killed my car....and that's the only car I have right now (that runs) and at 13 years old, the payout wouldn't have bought anything near her equal. I'll stick with my driving methods, they've done me very well these last 26 years.

Sorry OP, I never expected anything I'd have to say would cause a thread to go off track.

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 12-29-2015 at 02:54 AM.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:06 AM   #47
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Wow, she'd have the nicest truck at school. As far as safety, it really depends. Newer vehicles have come a long way in safety. Not worth much in the snow, and of course the gas tank is in the cab, but I've never heard of a specific incident where that was "a problem". If she's a good driver, lays off the BB, and doesn't drive it down the highway much, I wouldn't hesitate.
"Lays off the BB." I've been thinking.....how about putting in a 4.11 rear end and a 3 on the column? It sure kept my speed down, even when I was 16 and gas prices were less than a dollar per gallon!

It's hard for a young person to really be a "safe driver" since the experience gained from bad judgment just isn't there. Maybe if she built the truck herself, with own time, money, and sweat, she'd be safer as a driver but she might be a safe and careful driver already.

I think this thread has covered about all you can do: tank relocate (debated endlessly on here and may be superfluous), shoulder harnesses, head rests, fire extinguishers, tire change ability....I think you'll have to just trust her and let her go.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:30 AM   #48
BCOWANWHEELS

These trucks are far safer than any new vehicle whether it be car or truck. Even with tank in cab. There made out of real steel.
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 03:31 AM   #49
BCOWANWHEELS

P/s she dont need a bbc engine.................. I-6 or "stock" sbc
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:38 AM   #50
hamjet

This threads got me paranoid! I'm selling ALL my vehicles, locking all my doors and hiding in the basement...LOL

Last edited by hamjet; 12-29-2015 at 08:04 AM.
hamjet is offline   Reply With Quote