The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #26
84 400
Sb 400 club

Re: How hard to replace gas tank and all associated hardware?

Another good tip for those wanting to clean there tank is to use a length of chain inside as it will loosen any rust or crud build up.
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:08 PM   #27
D-Day
Live fast, die young

Should I use any sealant putting the sending unit in, or just the rubber ring that comes with it?
D-Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:37 PM   #28
asphaltburner

Yo! Just the rubber ring. Rotate the locking ring with a hammer and punch until it's in it's locked position. Todd.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:49 AM   #29
D-Day
Live fast, die young

Excellente...

I picked up a can of Permatex rust treatment. I'm gonna dig up a big box, and a garbage bag, put the brackets in and bug bomb them mercilessly. Need to paint warm, so I'll do it in the house. I'll use the box and bag for my own little paint shop to keep the fumes in there.

Last edited by D-Day; 12-04-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:58 PM   #30
D-Day
Live fast, die young

Slight predicament...the vent outlet on the tank is bigger than the other one, and the hose that fits it will not fit the vent outlet on the filler neck (hose too big).

I'm pinching pennies, is there a way I could just notch the rubber and clamp it extremely tight? It's just a vent, not the actual filler hose.

If not, does the auto store have a big enough adapter for this? Yeah, lazy question, but pinching pennies. If it wasn't a financial matter, I wouldn't be asking. Plus, I'm tired of trips to the store...
Old 12-07-2008, 05:02 PM   #31
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

Run both hoses down to napa and pick up a reducer to join the two together by splicing them in the middle.
1 reducer 2 clamps 1 knife done deal
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:15 PM   #32
D-Day
Live fast, die young

After all that...NOTHING.

All hoses, lines, wires, everything hooked up, I still have the sucking air problem. I took the line off at the regulator and blew it out, nothing blocking it as far as I can tell. I even took the line off completely, turned the pump on, NOTHING. I know nothing is blocking it, because I just replaced every damn thing there is.

The only thing I have left that I can think of doing anything is the tank selector. I'm gonna go pick up a connector to connect fuel lines, and I'm gonna go connect it directly to the tank to the pump. If it doesn't work then...

My guess would be maybe something in the tank selector switch in the cab is messed up, and it's not switching it. I don't know why, because when I switch it, it registers that tank as having gas in it, because something is switching. I'm just not sure if it's physically switching inside the unit. Which, by the way, is also BRAND NEW.

Bah.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:50 PM   #33
D-Day
Live fast, die young

Oh my God...you're not gonna believe this.

I was under there trying to siphon some gas from the tank, with my mouth for the record (desperate times call for desperate measures), to make sure it was pulling through, and when some started to come through, I hooked it to the pump...it blew it out.

I grabbed the flashlight and moved it to the bottom of the electric fuel pump so fast I almost broke my arm. And what should I see... IN - OUT...reversed. Even though I had mounted an identical model pump in the exact same configuration, every time I was under there I did it in low light and failed to notice the bottom of the pump.

Since, naturally it could be assumed that if it was mounted the same way before, it'd work this way, right?

WRONG.

For some reason, the pump they gave me must have been configured for a driver side frame rail placement, either that or my old one was for the passenger side, or whatever. Bottom line: The pump was blowing, not sucking.

So...I replaced everything but the pump for nothing.

Oh well. I'm glad everything is replaced in retrospect...but what a price for stupidity.

Last edited by D-Day; 12-11-2008 at 08:51 PM.