The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2011, 11:05 PM   #26
Frkypunk70

Re: Kids and Trucks some ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubscrub View Post
even in a late model truck the middle only uses a lap belt, i don't see a huge issue with it. I rode in a 71 all my young life never even wore a seatbelt and also rode it the back as much as the front. The wife and i WILL NOT deny our kids from the fun of cruisin to the shows to cruise ins or just out for a drive in our old iron life is to short in my op.
That's completely true. I was looking at 99 and up seats but the people say those are unsafe in our trucks because of the way we mount them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-07-2011, 11:07 PM   #27
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

I know this is not "helping" you, but in ref to the few booster seat questions... yes booster seats and car seats both work with lap belts. When you purchase a car seat new in the box, it has this funky metal clip in it..

The clip secures the lap belt, so it can not slide and allow the child seats to become loose. Like everything else, it needs to be installed properly, or it is useless.

My son rode in a 65 caprice, 69 pickup etc when he was small. It was what we owned,, it was what was used. I used the clips and the seats were fine. Mind you he was in an infant seat and car seat at the time. If he was in a booster alone, I may be more concerned as they can fling forward. Thankfully you can purchase booster seats, with a back and a 5 point harness in them. That would work fine with a lapbelt and metal clip IMHO.

Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #28
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frkypunk70 View Post
Yes, they still ride in booster seats...but booster seats are only used because of the shoulder harness being to high. My 70 doen't have shoulder harness though. But Its all a grey area to me.
according to Pa law its like NC ages 4-8 in a booster seat. (Im assuming we are talking about Pa)

Child Car Seat Laws
Kids under four must ride in a federally-approved car seat or booster.
Kids between four and eight must ride in a booster if they have outgrown a safety seat.
Kids between eight and 18 must use a seat belt.

http://www.dmv.org/pa-pennsylvania/s..._Car_Seat_Laws
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:38 PM   #29
Ryan5O

As far as the legality portion, I think Liz nailed it.
On a personal note, the kids think its great. For my little girl, its the only time she ever gets to sit in the front. You can tell its special.
Is it as safe as a shoulder belt? Without a doubt, no its not. Will it stop me from taking her on rides? No it wont. I grew up on motorcycles and have been riding in traffic almost my entire adult life. I use the same motorcycle riding mentality when Im driving the truck. Drive defensively, use common sense, look for the idiots, etc. Enjoy your truck. Better yet, enjoy it with the one's you love.
Ryan5O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:32 AM   #30
ldgn63

Im putting 3 non-retractable shoulder belts in mine. The two outer top anchors are already there (but truck came with lap only in base '67). Its a small window so I will put in middle top anchor just above the window (with a good backing plate). Plan on using the cab light hole for access.... wish me luck.

Maybe a BETTER option for you is BRITAX car seats. The models I have right now will keep my kids in a FULL harness until 65lbs.
BRITAX also makes a version that will keep them in a full harness until 85lbs. They are not cheap... but price really wasn't a consideration for the purpose they serve for me.
ldgn63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #31
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Do you really think that kids have never ridden in pickups with lap belts before let alone all the other classic cars back in the day, I'm sure most of the over 40's on this board did so with their parents, they were safe enough then and they still are...granted todays vehicles are "Safe-er" but unless your going out in your truck with a mind to being broadsided by a Mack Truck, Train or rolling down a Ravine, then your lap belts are going to keep your beautiful kids perfectly safe in the event of any of the usual daily prangs that may ocur...unless your planning on driving them around at 80 MPH.
I would add, you'd take your kiddies on a plane right? and lap belts on them are about as usefull as a chocoalte fireplace, it's all about playing on fears these days, driving is and always was an unsafe business, heck life is an unsafe business, but if we are all going to worry about every possible eventuality then we wouldn't leave the house....but then most accidents involving kiddies happen in the home.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #32
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbanger View Post
Do you really think that kids have never ridden in pickups with lap belts before let alone all the other classic cars back in the day, I'm sure most of the over 40's on this board did so with their parents, they were safe enough then and they still are...granted todays vehicles are "Safe-er" but unless your going out in your truck with a mind to being broadsided by a Mack Truck, Train or rolling down a Ravine, then your lap belts are going to keep your beautiful kids perfectly safe in the event of any of the usual daily prangs that may ocur...unless your planning on driving them around at 80 MPH.
I would add, you'd take your kiddies on a plane right? and lap belts on them are about as usefull as a chocoalte fireplace, it's all about playing on fears these days, driving is and always was an unsafe business, heck life is an unsafe business, but if we are all going to worry about every possible eventuality then we wouldn't leave the house....but then most accidents involving kiddies happen in the home.
I agree 110% that's exactly how I feel well said
Posted via Mobile Device

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #33
eyebuzz
Licensed driver

Don't use the a booster seat with just a lap belt (booster seat meaning just the lower platform part) - the point of the booster is to raise the child up so the shoulder strap fits correctly - without the shoulder strap and the child raised up you create more of a problem - one, their head is raised up so it doesn't have the back of the seat to act as a "head restraint" and two at that higher position they can fling forward more in an accident.

But there should be plenty of all in one car seats that you mount with a lap belt but then the seat itself has all they need (5 point harness, head restraint).

So let's say you have the needed car seat and the issues is just having them ride it the front seat - I don't think this is much of an issue - in your truck you have so much metal up front you're good - and no airbag.

There are times when my wife and I let our 6 year old ride up front with us (Suburban) without the car seat - which is wrong, illegal, and dangerous - but also really nice for us as a family - so you just have to balance it all out because the reality is you shouldn't drive at all if safety is the number one concern in life.

And why don't buses even have seat belts...lap or otherwise? (Well our local school buses do - but in general).
eyebuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #34
Papa-J

I'm not that old and I also grew up with R.A.R.S, or sleeping on the back window of the Grand Prix doing 120KMH to the Ontario border.
I am always scared about my children also, I do know that here it is law to keep them in a booster until 100LBS, 20LBS to get out of the infant seat(rear facing) and 40LBS to get out of the toddler seat. I was told by a local officer that if you are driving a vehicle the has no seat belts then you dont have to wear them(obviously), if you drive a vehicle that has only a bench seat then you children have to sit in it, but the Booster seat laws still apply always. It's a kind of use your own head system, if you don't mind them being in the front then do it, but just be a safe as possible, as I am sure you will be. My son sits in the front on a booster using the lap belt, and he is 5, my daughter who is 3 does not come in my truck, I just can't do it, doesn't seem safe enough, but thats me.
Born and raised on the east coast
Papa-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #35
Frkypunk70

Well thank you all for the replies. Lots of food for thought. I'm gonna put them in the seat with the lap belt and if a cop asks me why they are not in boosters I'll let him know I feel its more dangerous. I normally just cruise around and run errands in my truck so I dont think it will be a problem. Thanks again. Tim
Old 06-08-2011, 05:13 PM   #36
blkcorvair

Looks like some State Laws state that you may use a Lap Belt Only with NO booster seat when there is no shoulder harness available. That being said I still plan to find a good "Safer" way to get my son buckled in. I plan to have an all original truck that may have a passenger side shoulder belt to acheive this, but he is the main reason I bought the truck anyways. They do apparently make Car seats that are good possibly up to 60 pounds with a harness that can use just a lap belt or a lap belt and a tether. People might look at you sideways. They did me when my little guy was strapped in my C4. But he fit better in that than my new Chysler. My best memories was taking Sunday Drives with my Dad in his 67 C-10. (Of course times have changed, I think I played on the Passenger Floor most of the time) But My truck is specifically so my son can sit up front with me and take in a nice drive or hit a car show and be one of the big boys for the day. Safely strapped in of course...

blkcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #37
sstone69

I agree with blkcorvair, we used to ride in the back of my fathers 63 Chevrolet. I think that is why I am interested in these trucks.
I think part of the reason on newer cars that you can't let your child ride up front is the air bag issue. When it deploys it can seriously hurt a child. At least that is what I understood when my kids were younger.
Now they ride in my 69 with aftermarket seatbelts.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #38
Flint70step

I rode in my Dad's 1953 5 window truck from when I born(brought home from the hospital in it)till I was 15 when he parked it.Me and my brother always wore our laps belts that my Dad installed.Some of my very best memories are times from being in that truck.Then my Dad got an Orange 70 cst and I loved that truck too.Now I take my Son everywhere in my 70.He is a year and 3/4's and absolutely loves my truck.Enjoy the ride with your kids and have fun.Great memories in-store for yall.Be good

72 Custom Deluxe Burb(Arizona truck)Nice interior
Great patina

Project Patina Azul http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=467668

Last edited by Flint70step; 06-08-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Flint70step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #39
blkcorvair

I just gotta get my son used to the olive green. I plan to repaint original, but he keeps screaming for orange. Think Im gonna have to dissapoint him on this one. Calls it Poopy Green. I like it tho. never was big on orange...
blkcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote