The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #26
OleBlue79

Re: Fixing a cracked dash pad

I think they moved the VIN tag to the dash in 1979. I have a 78 parts truck and it seems I remember the VIN tag on the door pillar on that one.
79 C-20 Scottsdale 350/400 3:73 gears 9 leafs and a headache rack (I speak English, thank you)
OleBlue79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:47 AM   #27
duane350

I still use my speakers holes. I was thinking of taking some speaker covers out of a newer truck and digging out the foam so they sit flush. Then screw them down. Hope it goes well.
duane350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:08 AM   #28
mrhurt73

has anybody tried one of these?

http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto...ml?3593=127560
mrhurt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:45 PM   #29
Skunksmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleBlue79 View Post
Trim down the turned up edges around the crack. Fill in the cracks with Great Stuff foam. Spray the entire thing with spray can bedliner and paint to desired color.

This is the way to go with those covers. But make sure you don't use the triple expanding foam. Coverlay makes some pretty decent covers for these trucks. Only thing is, my dash was so warped back by the vent holes, that the cover just couldn't properly do its job. It couldn't bend all out of shape like that, in order to properly cover the dash. If your dash is in good shape other than the cracks, one of these covers might be right for you.

But be warned, sand the inside of the cover very well with something like 80 grit. Even in the narrow channels that are at the very back where the dash meets up with the glass, and the parts that go all the way around the defroster vents. These covers are plastic and they are VERY slick when they come off the assembly line. And silicon doesn't like to stick to that slick plastic very well at all. Also, if you know what's good for ya, you'll use silicon colored to match the dash. Found that out the hard way lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhurt73 View Post
NO! Do not get that! I already got one from JCwhitney and sent it back. Its just a big heavy blob of urethane that bows in the middle. Its junk, trust me. You want this:

http://www.classicparts.com/1973-78-.../#.UJG2Lobkr3s

Don't know if that's your color or correct year model, but they got one for you. Crappy pics but if you notice their description says blue vinyl over foam, just like the factory. I've got one sitting on my couch right now waiting to go into my truck. It looks to be of excellent quality so far. I have no complaints. Although I can't yet say a whole lot because I've yet to get it fully installed. First impressions are good so far though. It is indeed vinyl over foam, just like the factory. And its lightweight, just like the factory. So its got those things going for it already.
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:37 PM   #30
mrhurt73

i think this would be the one for me

http://www.classicparts.com/1981-91-...info/30-819DB/

thanks for the heads up, let us know how this one installs.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #31
Ski-me

Yea, I'd love to find out what dash you actually get. It says "Like OEM" so that could be good. Hopefully it has some metal in there similar to the factory dash. $330 is a lot better than $500 I paid.

If you find out the brand name, post back. DashesDirect????

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #32
Skunksmash

No metal. Only vynal, foam, and plastic. The only metal on there is those tabs that attach this "cover" (cause that's what it is in reality, just a cover) to the actual metal dash underneath. The real dash in these trucks is of course, just a giant piece of metal that you wouldn't want to smash your face on.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #33
mrhurt73

did you ever get it installed? i wanted to know how it turned out before i ordered mine
Old 11-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #34
mrhurt73

anybody have good info about replacement dash?
Old 11-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #35
Skunksmash

Sigh... I wish. But I hindered my own efforts. As I have often done in the past. I was RIGHT there too. Right there at the finish line.

I have recessed new aftermarket gauges in the truck and that required taking out the whole cluster. Then I installed a radio, which required the gauge face plate bezel thing to be installed over the gauges. Now I done messed up. I have to take the radio back out, cause the gauge cluster housing is not situated far right enough for the dash to go on properly. Sigh. The joys of building. At this point I'm taking a break out of frustration.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #36
mrhurt73

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543735

go to the above page on page two and you can see the dash i am dealing with. it had way to many years of sitting in the sun.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #37
Skunksmash

Ok I messed around with that one that I recommended from classic chevy trucks. The one I linked. All in all, it fits pretty well. It still not on permanent yet cause I have to take the gauge bezel back off cause I put the radio in too soon. Made more work for myself. Sigh. Long story.

But there are a couple of problems with the dash. First let me say that I don't know if this is really the fault of the A-pillar cover.... or what. But where it meets the A pillar over on the passenger side, there is room between the pillar and the dash. This bothers me. Passengers are going to sit there and see that and wonder why it looks poor.

So I'm thinking of maybe... another piece of vinyl sewed on to the end of the dash right there. Cause you have a little piece that sticks out, that you could attach something to. If you look at the guys who have had an upholstery shop sew a new vinyl cover on their dash, they leave a fat, wide tab sticking off the side of the dash towards the A pillar on the passenger side. It would seem to be for a reason. To go in there and soak up that extra gap. The dash I recommended did not come with a wide enough tab. Though it does have one, so the potential for a fix does exist.

The last thing is the trim. I swear I never get any kind of luck when it comes to fitment with aftermarket parts. The trim just doesn't fit. The aluminum, (or you might have black) trim that runs down the middle of the dash and holds the vents in. It also has the little silverado logo on it. That stock trim could be made to fit this aftermarket dash, in all places but one. On the very end where the trim curves around towards the passenger side door. That little lip where the dash sticks out is a real fitment nightmare. I've had nothing but trouble out of that lip on the end from every dash I've tried.

So there is really only one thing you can do, if you want to fix it. Fab up your own trim out of a piece of aluminum flatstock. lol.

And that's what I'm going to do. Just don't know how. Or where. Or anything else about it. But I'm going to do it cause its all I can do and I'm real, REAL tired of looking for a dash replacement for these trucks.

BUT

If you can solve those two problems, which I intend to try to do, then you'll have what is basically a stock replacement that you can't tell any difference between it, and an OEM one.

Last edited by Skunksmash; 12-03-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #38
mrhurt73

skunksmash, i guess the million dollar questions is, are you happy with what you got for the money you spent?

also anybody tried one of these?
http://store.73-87chevytrucks.com/me...tegory_Code=DC

i saw it and it looks just like the one from classic parts, but i dont know that for sure. nobody ever shows the underside picture to let you see what it really is.

my 85 GMC 2wd to 4wd conversion for the wife.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #39
bigchopz

yea this is what my turn out like
Attached Images

1998 Suzuki Gxsr Stetch & Low
bigchopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #40
mrhurt73

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchopz View Post
yea this is what my turn out like
where did it come from? did you redo it? buy it?

my 85 GMC 2wd to 4wd conversion for the wife.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #41
bigchopz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhurt73 View Post
where did it come from? did you redo it? buy it?
i had them redone, door panel also.
Attached Images

1998 Suzuki Gxsr Stetch & Low
bigchopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #42
INSIDIOUS '86

This is how I did mine.
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #43
kwin

http://www.spike.com/full-episodes/y...eason-4-ep-114

PowerBlock covers some repair options here. I have done the fiberglass work in the past. Next one will be the poweblock approach for me.

Good luck

www.ramsaywinsor.com
kwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #44
Skunksmash

Yeah no matter what you do you're going to be filling in those cracks. If you decide to repair.

I'm starting to wonder why you really have to have a seam going down the middle if you take your stock dash to an auto upholstery shop though. Couldn't they just stretch the vinyl in all the right places, and then use some powerful glue to glue it to the metal on the underside?
Old 12-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #45
bnoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunksmash View Post
Yeah no matter what you do you're going to be filling in those cracks. If you decide to repair.

I'm starting to wonder why you really have to have a seam going down the middle if you take your stock dash to an auto upholstery shop though. Couldn't they just stretch the vinyl in all the right places, and then use some powerful glue to glue it to the metal on the underside?
Yes, it can be done, but... even with the best of glues the dash is under HUGE stress from heat. Combined with stretched material and the fact that you're putting it on top of textured original dash anyway, it's much easier to run a seam. Your statement about bonding it to the metal underneath doesn't do much because the stress isn't going to be at the metal edge, it would be at the stretch itself up on the bend and that's where the vinyl would let go.
bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #46
chevymadness

Bondo is trash! Use paste that's what I'm going to do
Posted via Mobile Device

It's all about original guys original let me say again original.
chevymadness is offline   Reply With Quote