The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
Blue_Aura

Need Opinions on Bed Ideas Before Sale

Ok everyone, since you are all a wealth of information and experience, I need your opinions on what would be the best thing to do with my truck's bed before I put it up for sale. I am on a limited budget, but also know that whatever money I put into the bed will return x-fold.

The current condition of the bed is this: The inside of the bed is not painted to match the truck (I was told that the "painter" died and the PO promised that he would get the 1.2 gallon of Emron paint that was left over for the bed - never happened); there is no bed floor; and the frame and rails have surface rust all over them.

I have been thinking lately if I should go a different route with my plans for the bed in order to make it more appealing to prospective buyers.

Here is what I was originally planning on doing:

First, remove as much surface rust as possible and then POR15 the frame and rails.

Second, coat the inside of the bed with a roll-on bed liner or POR15.

Then, install marine grade plywood as a sub-floor, coat the edges with a waterproofing coating, apply a butyl-based (for high temps) peel and stick waterproofing membrane, and then install a polished aluminum diamond plate with tie down rings.

Now I am wondering what would be better for a prospective buyer...

1. Stick with the aluminum diamond plate idea?

2. Should I just remove all the rust, POR15 the inside of the bed and the frame and rails, and leave it like that, so the buyer can choose what they want to do with the bed?

3. Buy a cheap wood bed kit, finish the wood myself, use non-polished stainless strips, and use bed liner for the inside of the bed?

If you were looking at a truck to buy, which one would YOU prefer? Remember, I'm on a tight budget. I might be able to convince my wife to up the budget if the end result would bring more profit on the project (for those who didn't read my earlier thread, I am selling the truck soon to pay for our baby boy due in July).

Here is what the bed looks like now (I'll see if I can get some better shots).
Attached Images

Some Past Projects:
'69 Nova - 350 , '70 1/2 Camaro Z28 - LT1 350, '73 K20 Full-time 4x4 - 400 SB, '77 1/2 Camaro Z28 - 350, '84 Camaro Z28 - 305, '68 Buick - 430 BB
Blue_Aura is offline   Reply With Quote