The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #26
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Re: Road racing suspension

Thanks

Killer
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #27
texastrendz

that motor would be riding shotgun with you to get it to handle. it would look like the 70's, 80's van did with the cover you could take out to work on them that was in the cab.
texastrendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:05 PM   #28
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Well Im still not apposed to putting the engine behind the cab & making it AWD

Killer
Old 05-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #29
cajundragger

If your really serious I'd keep the diesel,Push it back as far as possible, use at least a 1/2 ton truck spindle, solid rear axle, pan type chassis, and something like a mumford link to put the roll center under the ground(literally).

if your not that serious and just want a good handling truck I'd just keep stock front suspension with drop parts and a heafy sway bar. In the rear I'd run a parallel 4link with a pan hard and massive sway bar.

The d-max is comparable in weight to an iron head/block big block. so its deff. doable. If diesel wasnt made to turn really good, audi wouldnt be cleaning up right now.
cajundragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:31 PM   #30
joeys66pickup
Dr. Frankenstein

yeah make it go 250 at Bonnevill! that will get you as much credit as kickin ass in the twistys in a truck will

Last edited by joeys66pickup; 05-07-2009 at 09:32 PM.
joeys66pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:46 AM   #31
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajundragger View Post
If your really serious I'd keep the diesel,Push it back as far as possible, use at least a 1/2 ton truck spindle, solid rear axle, pan type chassis, and something like a mumford link to put the roll center under the ground(literally).

if your not that serious and just want a good handling truck I'd just keep stock front suspension with drop parts and a heafy sway bar. In the rear I'd run a parallel 4link with a pan hard and massive sway bar.

The d-max is comparable in weight to an iron head/block big block. so its deff. doable. If diesel wasnt made to turn really good, audi wouldnt be cleaning up right now.
Thanks

I didnt think they were super heavy, just not a light lil vette engine or something

What is a Pan Chassis ???

Killer
Old 05-08-2009, 03:28 PM   #32
project 67 sub
Account Suspended

probably something kind of like an old VW bug pan chassis but for your truck
project 67 sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:52 PM   #33
joeys66pickup
Dr. Frankenstein

yeah anything even close to being considered to weight the same as a iron block/headed big block is HEAVY....unless its a buick
Old 05-09-2009, 12:30 AM   #34
cajundragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spray-Bomb View Post
Thanks

I didnt think they were super heavy, just not a light lil vette engine or something

What is a Pan Chassis ???
pan chassis is a chassis that is basically as wide as the truck and attaches way out by the rockers and is the floor of the truck. Just makes laying out and packaging the truck much easier.

Really though, by the time you get really serious to make this package handle superbly, you've lost all practicality.
cajundragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:59 PM   #35
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajundragger View Post
you've lost all practicality.
Why does this always happen with my projects

Killer
Old 05-09-2009, 11:42 PM   #36
oldspowered67C10

Heres some pics of what Ive been working on, by no means a road race chassis but theres some things that you be interested in. I tried to use all the stock frame as possible while making it torsionally rigid as practical for street use. I boxed the frame, triangulated things a bit and made a new trans crossmember. I also made some brackets to install coilovers in the front. Right now Im playing around with sway bars and rear suspension.
Attached Images

oldspowered67C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:11 AM   #37
nuke1

Matt, here is some pics of my suspension, it is full adjustable, up, down, side to side, and back and forth. it has a frame mounted watts link and has been boxed and gusseted everywhere, should be fairly capable, will find out soon. And if you really want to road race, shocks have to have proper valving, whole new world there alone, and in most cases set to 30 degrees in, mine are at 25 degrees, i still wanted to drive it, yet if you want coilovers, they are meant to go straight up and down and then when you angle them, you cut your spring rates down so on to more calculations to get better spring weights......... I will eventually have QA1 shocks on my truck, i am gonna run it how it is for now then change what i do not like later. You also have to decide if you want a antiroll bar or a sway bar, so many options, i feel a headache coming on, later

James
Attached Images

J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587

Last edited by nuke1; 05-10-2009 at 03:15 AM.
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:16 AM   #38
patrickk1

After dealing with a mustang ii suspenison on my truck, i am trying to understand the fascination with it. On any build i do in the future i would just buy circle track parts (upper/lower control arms and spindles). Tubular control arms can be bought new for less than $100 and all the brackets to mount can be bought for pretty cheap. Overall you save a bundle. C4 suspension probably wouldn't handle the weight since the arms are aluminum. IMO the only difference between mustang ii vs corvette suspension is the suspensions angles (i.e. roll center, antidive, camber, caster, toe) and length of the upper/lower control arms. IIRC longer arms are better.

If I were to build the same type of truck as you, i would build a 2x4 boxed frame and set it up for circle track parts (speedway motors) and run a 3link on a solid axle w/ a watts or mumford setup. I would also push the motor back like the others suggested. Since you would be running a set ride height i would even run the rearend/suspension over the top of the 2x4 frame to keep the weight lower in the truck. Alot of times this is how race cars are setup. A mumford setup would be easy to do with the frame below the rearend.

1964 GMC pickup lwb ~ My newest build!
1937 Ford Coupe ~ Custom frame, LS1, quickchange
1950 Chevrolet 3100 ~ Bagged (Sold)
1931 Chrysler Roadster ~'32 Ford Frame, Channeled 8" (Originally a 60's show car)
1967 Chevelle ~ 454 Triple Black (Sold)
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS (Sold)

Last edited by patrickk1; 07-10-2009 at 11:19 AM.
patrickk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #39
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickk1 View Post
IMO the only difference between mustang ii vs corvette suspension is the suspensions angles (i.e. roll center, antidive, camber, caster, toe) and length of the upper/lower control arms. IIRC longer arms are better.
So the only thing different, is everything?

My biggest question in all of this is...Exactly where do you think that you can road race a pick-up truck with only 2-3 inches of ground clearence? The greater the total weight of the truck makes short jounce travel even more of an issue. Nothing have been mentioned in this entire thread about air-bags, so I am assuming that this would be a static height? That is going to be a problem too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:24 PM   #40
Shane
Account Suspended

i'd just like to know where one can truly road race a truck at any ride height ... only asking as a curious past WKA, IKF, SCCA and IMSA member.

Last edited by Shane; 07-10-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:16 PM   #41
71'tahoe

Im guessing open track days...I am building my 95' camaro to run ESP and those rules dont allow much to be changed in the way of suspension design. Im with you Shane.

I too have pondered the thought of how cool it'd be to build a truck to handle like it was on rails..then decided.. I could probably only to auto crossing and a few open track days...

Lets hope he doenst want to show the locals the fast way to town on public roads...
71'tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #42
mongoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
i'd just like to know where one can truly road race a truck at any ride height ... only asking as a curious past WKA, IKF, SCCA and IMSA member.
auto x... maybe a hillclimb or two... but that's not really road racing.

I know you're not allowed to use a track of any sort to get you licence for racing here, so i'm assuming they don't allow them to race.
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:35 PM   #43
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71'tahoe View Post
Lets hope he doenst want to show the locals the fast way to town on public roads...
Not to be a jerk, but the way I drive on public roads is really non of yalls concerns

I dont want to get into a big debate about whats wrong & right here, but the fact of the matter is, that everybody has to look at their surrounding & decide if it is "safe" do drive a certain way

I myself would like to drive in Auto Cross races & local road races where the road is shut down & stuff like that, but if on occasion I want to haul around a sweet corner that no one is coming on, I may just do it

What is the fun in life being a safety droid ??? You might as well drive a blue prius...

End of my

Killer
Old 07-12-2009, 03:44 PM   #44
71'tahoe

Hahaha...Hell yeah...I dig what your saying..I dont think you were being a jerk..It was more of an indirect joke...But like they say..the net doesnt show that kinda emotion. I totally get you on the hanging out a curve...I have a set of "S" curves a mile down my road where I do a lil testing of my suspensions on occasssions..

No harm no foul if your cool!
71'tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:49 PM   #45
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spray-Bomb View Post
Not to be a jerk, but the way I drive on public roads is really non of yalls concerns

I dont want to get into a big debate about whats wrong & right here, but the fact of the matter is, that everybody has to look at their surrounding & decide if it is "safe" do drive a certain way

I myself would like to drive in Auto Cross races & local road races where the road is shut down & stuff like that, but if on occasion I want to haul around a sweet corner that no one is coming on, I may just do it

What is the fun in life being a safety droid ??? You might as well drive a blue prius...

End of my
Think before you type. . ... Since I'm on those public roads in Texas, I'd say maybe it is. Would you admit it is also the concern of the persons fence you might take out? You never know who your actions might impact.

That being my , have you checked in w/the track stuff out @ Tx Motor Speedway? I know they have some events there but I'm not sure what they are or how many classes there might be. There's also the auto-cross events @ the GoodGuys shows..... They're always fun to watch & participate in.

What have you decided on as far as the frames foundation?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:04 PM   #46
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

To be honest, I havent worked on this thing in a long time

I was looking on CL the other day & found a wrecked chevy SS that could have supplied some sweet AWD, but I dont have the $$$

Killer
Old 07-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #47
SCOTI

Researching the track events that are possible for you to be involved in might help w/formalizing your plan. And . . ... research is free.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:34 PM   #48
Shane
Account Suspended

You haven't worked on it yet you took the time to post to tell us that it's none of our concern how you conduct yourself on public roads ... which are paid for by tax payers ...which are also shared with the general public?

Did you ever stop to consider why they are called PUBLIC roads?

Friendly advice time: if you want to be taken serious and not categorized in with the "know it all kids" then you should stop and think before you post such nonsense.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:06 AM   #49
Schralper

Driving? WWJD?
come on I don't even live in them big cities/states (TX) and you've got nuthin better to do than tell someone how to or not to drive their P/U?
Might be the chick gabbin on the phone that's the problem not speed.
didn't someone @ one time say something about stones and glass houses?
Schralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #50
Shane
Account Suspended

On public roads where me or my family can possibly be put in danger?

You bet you ass I can.