The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #26
FAT TONY

Re: Help please!!!!

alright i went outside on got a quick video of the trucks engine running you can hear the sound in there a couple times but its not the best quality since it was dark outside but i mainly want yall to hear the sound...... by the way .. step by step instructions on how to add a video?
FAT TONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #27
FAT TONY

Alright here is the bad quality video but you can still kind of hear the grinding over the loud lifters ticking away

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=s_Tcq4h6qCk
Old 12-06-2011, 10:51 PM   #28
E911manager

It sounds like sporadic noise is the alternator. But you also have a sticking or loose lifter or maybe an exhaust leak. That tick tick ticking doesn't south right.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #29
FAT TONY

so the grinding, would i need a new alternator to stop that sound, and yea the lifters i plan on changing them soon as i get bout 40 bucks to buy some new ones but that would also mean i have to re adjust the valves any idea on the best way to do that ?

Last edited by FAT TONY; 12-06-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #30
E911manager

Just my guess!! But I am 500 miles away!! I would google adjusting the loggers for that engine. They are all a little different
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2011, 11:33 PM   #31
FAT TONY

alright well ill keep trying to figure out some stuff that can be wrong and tomorrow if i get home early i will make a complete video of the time i turn on the truck to the time it starts making noise which is like 5- 10 minutes later and then i will make another video of it running without the belt to see if it still sounds bad.... by the way would the outside temp affect the noise in the lifters and how an engine reacts to working with no water pump? .... if its cold outside can it run without it longer or does it not matter?
Old 12-07-2011, 12:05 AM   #32
E911manager

Not the noise but it can run cooler longer. But I would keep an eye on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-07-2011, 08:24 AM   #33
tincan1966

You could just try spinning the alternator and water pump by hand(with the truck NOT running) after taking off the belt. This would allow you to feel if they spin rough or not. I am a little curious why you keep adjusting the valves, but that is not the concern you have.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #34
FAT TONY

the reason for adjusting the valves is because i hear a misfire noise coming from the exhaust pipe and some one told me the valves might need adjustment so ive done that and the timing and it has helped a lot rite now it has minimum misfire i will add that to the video when i post it as well
Old 12-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #35
old cruiser

As has been said you can spin the alt and water pump by hand with the engine OFF. You'll feel it if something is wrong they should spin freely and smoothly. The exhaust misfire you hear is possibly a leaking manifold gasket drawing in air leaning out some cylinders had this prob not long ago. New gasket, runs like a dream now. good luck
old cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:18 PM   #36
FAT TONY

Video of the day time plus the misfire

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFatTony94?feature=mhee
Old 12-08-2011, 12:29 AM   #37
FAT TONY

Quote:
Originally Posted by E911manager View Post
Just my guess!! But I am 500 miles away!! I would google adjusting the loggers for that engine. They are all a little different
Posted via Mobile Device

you start hearing the grinding after bout two minutes
Old 12-08-2011, 03:43 AM   #38
glendale

Have you tried taking the belt off or checking the alternator? It seems to me that these guys keep offer help and you keep running the motor and not trying what they say. Did you try the stethoscope? When it's make the noise instead of filming put that thing all over and narrow it down. Not Trying to be super harsh just a little. These guys are very knowledgeable.
Posted via Mobile Device
glendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:50 AM   #39
glendale

glendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:53 AM   #40
losthope

Just watched the newest video. Its hard to tell where its coming from still but make sure all the wires are away from the van they look really loose and close and almost sounds like the are getting hit buy the fan, and at the end of the video your showing the tail pipe,if you can hear the noise coming out the tail pipe it most likely not good........if it takes awhile to start grinding it most likely cause the metal part is heating up and expanding causing it to rub against another metal part.......not to be a A-hole but in the time you've been making these video's, it would of take less time to lossen the bolt on the alternator and taken the belt off and hand tested the water pump and alternator like was stated many times in above posts, or you could run the motor tell it makes noise and the turn it off and remove belt and start the truck just for a little bit to hear if noise stopped(not a long time)......id buy a mechanics stethoscope like i said before and listen to diffrent parts of the motor ,water pump,alternator and start ruling stuff out....besides that cant help you much more if you dont follow advice being given....good luck

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
H.A.M.B 54 Build Thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=622142

Last edited by losthope; 12-08-2011 at 04:15 AM.
losthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #41
FAT TONY

well i did what yall told me, take off the belt and turn water pump and alternator by hand and it turns out its not the alternator its the fan/water pump.... what could cause this?
Old 12-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #42
49studebaker

It sounds to me like the impellor inside the water pump is kinda bouncing around inside the water pump housing. It kind of makes sense that possibly once it heats up and the thermostat opens the flow dynamics change causing it to rattle around. Is your thermostat installed? Do you have an accurate temperature gauge on your truck? If that were the case and the impellor is broke then of course your temp would climb rather quickly.
49studebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #43
FAT TONY

i don't think it has a thermostat in it i checked the hose and the elbow looking thing and it wasn't in there . an no t doesn't have a accurate temp gauge
Old 12-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #44
49studebaker

Ok, you would have to take the elbow looking thing off and it would be sitting right on top of you motor. I don't quite understand, you said you did turn your fan/water pump right? And YOU did feel something weird? Or you didn't. Your video sounds like something bouncing around, then maybe getting hung up, etc.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #45
FAT TONY

i turned the fan and while it span you could barely hear it where its grinding then you turn on the motor and u cant hear it but as soon as i hooked up the belt again you could hear it
Old 12-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #46
49studebaker

Sounds like the impellor to me. You should of (barely maybe) been able to hear/feel it as you turned it. What you say makes sense because without the fan belt hooked up, and the motor running, the pump is not turning so you wouldn't hear anything. It makes more noise hooked up and spinning then you spinning it cuz it's spinning much faster. If I were you I'd take the belt back of and concentrate on your waterpump turn it back and forth. listen/feel whatever. The impellor is kinda like the lid on a jar, not really heavy. You may not even feel of hear it cuz it is rather light weight. It may hang up once and then not for awhile. Hard to say.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #47
FAT TONY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49studebaker View Post
Sounds like the impellor to me. You should of (barely maybe) been able to hear/feel it as you turned it. What you say makes sense because without the fan belt hooked up, and the motor running, the pump is not turning so you wouldn't hear anything. It makes more noise hooked up and spinning then you spinning it cuz it's spinning much faster. If I were you I'd take the belt back of and concentrate on your waterpump turn it back and forth. listen/feel whatever. The impellor is kinda like the lid on a jar, not really heavy. You may not even feel of hear it cuz it is rather light weight. It may hang up once and then not for awhile. Hard to say.

but why does it only make noise when the engine gets hot and what should i do?..... should i buy a new pump or can i some how fix the one i have so that it doesn't make noise?
Old 12-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #48
padresag

just buy a new pump and put it on and get it over with
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #49
49studebaker

Yeah, if it were mine, I'd do what padresag just said. It's easy to remove, shouldn't be too expensive, and me....I'd take it apart just to see what it looks like inside. It may not be your problem but it's a good place to start. It the impeller came loose I doubt it can be fixed. Gotta be broke.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #50
FAT TONY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49studebaker View Post
Yeah, if it were mine, I'd do what padresag just said. It's easy to remove, shouldn't be too expensive, and me....I'd take it apart just to see what it looks like inside. It may not be your problem but it's a good place to start. It the impeller came loose I doubt it can be fixed. Gotta be broke.
ok well ima go do that rite now and ill be back with more info on what i find out