The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
dznucks

Re: led lights

if you use a load equalizer, would you have to use one front and rear? if you use a new style flasher, thats all you need right?

Last edited by dznucks; 12-03-2009 at 03:54 PM.
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
Beatcoaster
69 Fleetside

Fixit-p, I am happy to hear those do have led's facing backwards at least, and would like to see how they perform in the daytime. At a 20 degree light pattern it will be pretty focused however, which at least makes the light they do emit, intense in that area.

Seraph, do not get those...superbrightleds has them for $4.95/ea for the exact same thing. I have come to find superbrightleds to be the cheapest, best service, fastest shipped, highest quality, cutting edge product LED supplier around, and through years of comparing prices; don't even look elsewhere these days...All of these posted links verifies that as well...

Dznucks - In general I would get 2 of the bigger resistors to begin with(one for each side, not front to back), that is usually enough load for the thermal flasher to still do it's job. That is what I did with my Subaru years ago and it worked great, but those resistors do get hot so be sure to mount them to metal(plenty of that on our trucks!) for additional heat relief. And yes, the correct electronic flasher unit superbrightleds sells works, i have those in my truck as well, need 2 of them, one for hazards, one for turn signals.

Full disclosure: both of the flasher units I recieved work great for the hazards, but my turn signals aren't operating properly and I think my steering column switch is messed up(haven't drove the truck since I bought it, just restoring it). So until I can try the old thermal flasher with the load resistors I have laying around in my box of LED stuff, I won't know for sure if there is something else at work that I don't know about keeping the electronic flasher from operating properly. 40 years of wear and tear on the column switch is my assumption...Working a job from dark to dark isn't helping me get this project done either, so I can't help you folks out much on this end of things until I get a weekend to finish this, hopefully this coming one...
Beatcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
Beatcoaster
69 Fleetside

Alright here are the photos I just took, didn't turn out quite like I wanted them but oh well, you can get an idea of it all.

Running lights only...

Brakes or blinkers...even the concrete below is glowing red = bright

Parking light closeup, notice how the whole area inside is fully lit up. The camera really picks up the LED points of light, it looks more diffused than this even. I tried putting fogged lexan in front of the LED's to diffuse it more but it didn't change anything.

Brake light closeup, again the whole area is fully lit up, brightly! The camera didn't pick up the led points this time(but you can see it in the ghost) so you can get an idea of how diffused the light truly is. People will know that you are stopping for sure!. My wife was coming home the other night when I was messing around with it all and commented on how bright they were without me even prompting her to notice - nice!

Running lights only w/flash...this is a good eyeball representation of the diffuse nature of these LED's with headlights on them, light is going everywhere in that housing and the reflectors even make it look brighter.

Dash with Kenwood cd player and cool white LED's in gauges. I painted the inside of the gauge cluster in chrome paint but I need one of those white lettered face plates so the green tinge will go away altogether...cause it sort of ruins the resto mod look I am going for here.

Front running lights and sidemarkers, even light dispersion, match perfectly..

Front sidemarkers and front parking lights blinking(hazards), this photo is a bit overexposed but it just looks cool, so I had to throw it up. Notice how the garage door and house siding is so lit up by the LED's blinking at their brighter state, they will know I am wanting to turn

After doing another run around with the camera tonight I was once again reminded that the money spent sure is worth it to me, but I love LED's! With just the running lights on they are the perfect brightness and match exactly at all corners...couldn't be happier!

Last edited by Beatcoaster; 12-03-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Beatcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote