The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #1
c20pickup

engine oil priming... dont do this!

just a short story id like to share about this saturday. well anyway i was priming my fresh 350 with a drill driven tool i bought from lmc. I spun the tool over by hand just until i felt resistance from the oil, so then i took the drill and spun it slowly. well, didn't seem like much priming was being done, so i went balls to the wall with the drill, and about a half second later, about 60 psi of oil shot out of the port for the oil pressure gauge two- three foot high and all over my arm that was running the drill, all over my transmission, frame rails, everything, made a mess! well after taking off my oil soaked sleeve of my sweatshirt, i installed a guage and got a healthy max of 65 psi of oil pressure. well.. lesson learned here is that you should always put a oil pressure gauge or even a plug in your engine while you are priming it so you dont get a 2 foot oil geyser that makes a mess of your work like i did! well now that everything is cleaned up and pretty looking my motor is almost ready to fire off!!! well i guess this is part of the learning experience, wont make that mistake again, all in fun! like my dad always says, you can live and learn, but you still die dumb!
c20pickup is offline   Reply With Quote