The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2007, 03:00 PM   #26
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: I think I need a new bumper

Most states.The law is that whoever is in the rear is completely at fault.The lady behind you should not be at fault since she was stopped and had not hit you.She has no way of knowing how fast the car behind her is going or how far it will bump her.The only way she could "Keep her distance" or "maintain distance" would be to stay a couple hundred yards behind you even at the stoplight.A van hitting her at 90 is going to knock her quite a ways.
I know this is the law in Tx,Ok,Georgia,and NC.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:09 PM   #27
66skylarkpost

thats the law here in nebraska . she was at total fault . she even got cited for no operators license on person and of course following too close . i dont think there is a charge of rammimg here.
'70 k-10 longbox- mid 70's drivetrain 350/350 487x heads 10.1:1 flowmasters ,35's 3.73's auburn posi ,rear shackle flip. '72 short stepside U.S. forestry truck, '73 455 buick,400 turbo,dropped 2"-4 1/4" ,3.07 posi,:'89 silverado 1500 ,OK truck ,5.7 holley tbi ,trick 700r4 3.07 auburn posi ,and my '66 skylark ,'73 centurion and my '84 monte carlo imca stock car
66skylarkpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:12 PM   #28
66skylarkpost

when i got hit , it shoved me about 20-30 feet . my truck even left one and the only 6 foot black mark , from my left rear tire draging from my foot firmly on the brakes .for her car it was like wall !
'70 k-10 longbox- mid 70's drivetrain 350/350 487x heads 10.1:1 flowmasters ,35's 3.73's auburn posi ,rear shackle flip. '72 short stepside U.S. forestry truck, '73 455 buick,400 turbo,dropped 2"-4 1/4" ,3.07 posi,:'89 silverado 1500 ,OK truck ,5.7 holley tbi ,trick 700r4 3.07 auburn posi ,and my '66 skylark ,'73 centurion and my '84 monte carlo imca stock car
Old 06-03-2007, 03:58 PM   #29
Frizzle Fry

Just saw this! That sucks!!! Glad you are OK. Hopefully that's the extent of the damage...
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:39 PM   #30
heavy71chevy

had that happen in my old beater saturn...totalled both cars involved..glad yall are ok
heavy71chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:37 PM   #31
71chevylowrider

Thanks everyone for your support, I talked to the eye witness today & she said that she saw the guy in the van come flying off of the freeway & quickly coming up on a car in front of it, & then the car moved over in the right lane at that point the guy in the van must see that there's only stopped vehicles in front of him & she see's a bunch of smoke come out from under/behind the van & then it slammed into the lady & pushed her into me, so his story of hitting the brakes & nothing happened must be BS. I also called the lady who hit me & talked to her husband & they were just wanting to see if I was okay, she is really sore & he was at the pharmacy getting some pain meds for her, they sound like very nice people & are just inoccent victims as I am in this accident. So hopefully our insurance company will play nice with us, cause I want my truck to get fixed at Roger's auto body on St. Johns blvd. in Vanocouver, they painted the truck & are very familiar with this/these trucks & I want them to look it over from top to bottom & make sure all is well with the truck/frame ect. My welded on hidden hitch took the full force & is pointing a little bit towards the ground now, (maybe an inch or 2) & if it is welded to the frame & is bent, might have tweked the frame back there a little, I don't know, I'll let them look at it witha microscope.
71chevylowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:38 AM   #32
watahyahknow

be carefull that they dont go overboard on the price or they might consider the truck total loss (at least thats wat happens here in the netherlands when a car is old and hasnt had a taxationreport

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:06 AM   #33
Slammed70

I noticed in the lot of the posts y'all said that your glad to see the other driver wasnt hurt.....Lol

Id be going to prison on murder charges if someone hurt the only thing I care about that bad...
Old 06-04-2007, 08:39 AM   #34
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71chevylowrider View Post
Geez, Redneck what ran into you? a bicycle? That bumper is hardly bent, man that really shows how solid these trucks are huh? Glad you guys are okay & only a little sore, bad things can happened anytime anywhere.
The guy was *almost* stopped when he hit me. He hit me at about 15-20mph so I can only image how hard your truck got slammed! I actually pulled the bumper yesterday and got the backside of the new one painted. The brackets are bent. I hope I can straighten them.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:59 AM   #35
71chevylowrider

Hey redneck, I was just playing with ya, it sucks anytime someone slams into your pride & joy.

OKay so I get a call from the guy in the van's insurance company (Geicko) & they say that the lady's car that he hit into me is probably going to be totalled & she didn't even mention thae fact that the lady was hurt also, (there may not be enough policy to cover the damage on my vehicle ( oh boy, I got pissed) I pretty much let her know that I will be contacting an atty & according to what the eye witness say's she saw, I think your insured was negligent, I have a truck that has close to $30,000 into it & your saying go get it fixed from my policy! Thanks for nothing.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:59 PM   #36
BACKYARD88
On the fast track to nowhere..

Just seeing this for the first time. That really sucks. My wife was rear ended last week(lady said she was on a cell phone and not paying attention) but I don't think it was as bad as your accident.

My Dad was in an accident a couple months ago, a lady slammed on her brakes in front of him, he stopped in time but the guy behind him didn't and pushed my Dad into her. She said she was fine (talking on the cell phone before she got hit and never put it down until the police arrived) but a month later she filed on my Dads insurance saying she is having back and neck problems now.

Norwood, Houston, Cecilia, Jackson, Monroe and counting

Last edited by BACKYARD88; 06-04-2007 at 12:59 PM.
BACKYARD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:02 PM   #37
71chevylowrider

ouch, how did the bed hit the cab that hard & then go back to it's present position? Also, how do I join the 71 club?
Old 06-04-2007, 01:04 PM   #38
1969k10stepside

Sorry to hear about the wreck.To join the 1971 club go here
1969k10stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:07 PM   #39
bryanw1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66skylarkpost View Post
oh , i can feel for you . i got driven into begining of last month while turning into where i wor k . i was at a dead stop , foot on the brake ,waiting to make a left turn on a four lane street ,inside lane . when a 95 lesabre drives into the back of me doing at least 35 mph , accellerating . at first i got out pissed , but the older woman was very shook up .we were all amazed no one got seriusly hurt , i had a sore shoulder , buit she was fine , deployed both of her airbags ,trashed her car , i dont think the front wheels would turn . worst of the deal ,it messed my '89 up bad . so far i bought another truck and in the proccess of fixin the cab and box then changing frames
THAT sucks. Glad you're ok.
bryanw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:36 PM   #40
67ChevyRedneck

Quote:
Hey redneck, I was just playing with ya, it sucks anytime someone slams into your pride & joy.
I know

I was just reiterating that my hit was at 15-20mph and did a little damage... you must have been slammed pretty hard!
Project "On a Dime"
Old 06-04-2007, 01:45 PM   #41
71chevylowrider

66sky, that really sucks! I've seen some steep rake on some trucks before, but that is rediculous, serioulsy though, is the frame bent on your truck?

Even though the damage looks minimal on my truck, when I look underneath it looks like other things are out of shape, I'm hoping it's not gonna be serious,

Last edited by 71chevylowrider; 06-04-2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:50 PM   #42
70ChevyStepside

Exclamation Re: I think I need a new bumper

Yep check those brake lines too. I have a lifted 71 with 35" swampers that I used to drive daily. Heading to work one morning here in Phoenix traffic I took my exit and hit the brakes doing 50ish and "Nothing" happened. Oh shizzle I thought. I still have yet to replace the missing emergency brakes from when I bought the truck!! It has a th400 tranny so I tried shifting it to low and got nothing again !! Mind you this is a downhill exit so I'm gaining speed. three lanes are before me into this T intersection the two left turn lames are occupied by three small cars. The road i'm turning onto is five lanes wide two in either direction and a turn lane. I'm looking at either side of the road to drive into a wall and they both have transformers and BIG power poles on them. Accross the T intersection is a train yard filled with oil cars and locomotives so not an option. I say to hell with my tranny and throw it into park but either my ratchet sifter prevents it or it has a saftey bypass and I get nothing for the third time. I think OH Hell three strikes and i'm dead. So last option (as using the poor cars in my way as cushioning was in no way an option. Man I would have cut the tops of them off!!) is trying to make the turn and pray to GOD I don't kill or maim somebody, hopefully I'll just hit a tractor trailer and injure only myself and incurr property damages. Grand Ave is a very busy road and all the trip downhill I saw cars on it. Just before I got to it there was a lull in traffic. I swing it wide left behind the cars in the center lane to make the right hand turn cranking it just before the car, thinking this ain't good I'm going to roll 30 times and it's gonna hurt...BAD !! Now days I wonder if the driver in the center lane ever looked in thier rearview, if they did I bet they soiled themselves !!!! Anyway, I slid across four clear lanes sideways and I mean sideways and those tires were howling at what I'm guessing was around 60 mph and coasted to a stop 3/4 of a mile down the road using a brick building to stop me as the next oncoming intersection was a 6 way. No damage to anything!!!!!!!! As I slid across the lanes I could see traffic heading towards me about 1/4 mile down the road. Once I got down to a low enough speed the tranny started grinding. I'm also thinking that the mud tires not having so much grip allowed me to slide and not flip. Turns out that the brake line going into the proportioning valve on the rear pumpkin had the flare brake off from vibration and age and pump all the brake fluid out. I walked the last mile to work and it took and hour or so for the adrenaline to wear off. After work I replaced the line and drove it home very warily and needless to say I have parked the truck until I replace the entire brake system. It's the orange and grey one in my user profile. I had every spare guardian angel busy that morning. So please keep your braking system ranked top of your list for everyone else's sake on the roads.

Last edited by 70ChevyStepside; 06-04-2007 at 01:53 PM.
70ChevyStepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:57 PM   #43
67ChevyRedneck

^ Holy
Project "On a Dime"
Old 06-04-2007, 02:04 PM   #44
BACKYARD88

Quote:
ouch, how did the bed hit the cab that hard & then go back to it's present position?
Not really sure, it got the pass. cab corner good, a little ding on the drivers side, and scrubbed the paint on the back of the cab in the center. It was a 1 ton 4X4 Dodge dually that hit her. I'm just glad atleast the frame went back to where it was supposed to be

Old 06-04-2007, 02:08 PM   #45
71chevylowrider

HOLY CRAP! Dude, as I'm reading your story I'm feeling myself getting pumped up on adrenaline too! MAn that is scary!
Old 06-04-2007, 04:13 PM   #46
bcanini
"Taste It"

Dude,
I just saw this one!! sounds like you're OK bummer bout the truck.
keep us informed about how it comes out.

You going to Sherwood?

B

2007 Silverado Crew with the MAX Pack and loaded
2007 CX-9
"Hopefully when I die.. my wife wont sell my stuff for what I said I paid for it"

It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission.
bcanini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:29 PM   #47
BACKYARD88

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ChevyStepside View Post
Yep check those brake lines too. I have a lifted 71 with 35" swampers that I used to drive daily. Heading to work one morning here in Phoenix traffic I took my exit and hit the brakes doing 50ish and "Nothing" happened. Oh shizzle I thought. I still have yet to replace the missing emergency brakes from when I bought the truck!! It has a th400 tranny so I tried shifting it to low and got nothing again !! Mind you this is a downhill exit so I'm gaining speed. three lanes are before me into this T intersection the two left turn lames are occupied by three small cars. The road i'm turning onto is five lanes wide two in either direction and a turn lane. I'm looking at either side of the road to drive into a wall and they both have transformers and BIG power poles on them. Accross the T intersection is a train yard filled with oil cars and locomotives so not an option. I say to hell with my tranny and throw it into park but either my ratchet sifter prevents it or it has a saftey bypass and I get nothing for the third time. I think OH Hell three strikes and i'm dead. So last option (as using the poor cars in my way as cushioning was in no way an option. Man I would have cut the tops of them off!!) is trying to make the turn and pray to GOD I don't kill or maim somebody, hopefully I'll just hit a tractor trailer and injure only myself and incurr property damages. Grand Ave is a very busy road and all the trip downhill I saw cars on it. Just before I got to it there was a lull in traffic. I swing it wide left behind the cars in the center lane to make the right hand turn cranking it just before the car, thinking this ain't good I'm going to roll 30 times and it's gonna hurt...BAD !! Now days I wonder if the driver in the center lane ever looked in thier rearview, if they did I bet they soiled themselves !!!! Anyway, I slid across four clear lanes sideways and I mean sideways and those tires were howling at what I'm guessing was around 60 mph and coasted to a stop 3/4 of a mile down the road using a brick building to stop me as the next oncoming intersection was a 6 way. No damage to anything!!!!!!!! As I slid across the lanes I could see traffic heading towards me about 1/4 mile down the road. Once I got down to a low enough speed the tranny started grinding. I'm also thinking that the mud tires not having so much grip allowed me to slide and not flip. Turns out that the brake line going into the proportioning valve on the rear pumpkin had the flare brake off from vibration and age and pump all the brake fluid out. I walked the last mile to work and it took and hour or so for the adrenaline to wear off. After work I replaced the line and drove it home very warily and needless to say I have parked the truck until I replace the entire brake system. It's the orange and grey one in my user profile. I had every spare guardian angel busy that morning. So please keep your braking system ranked top of your list for everyone else's sake on the roads.
That's one heck of a first post! Glad you managed to avoid catastrophe.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:51 PM   #48
66skylarkpost

Quote:
66sky, that really sucks! I've seen some steep rake on some trucks before, but that is rediculous, serioulsy though, is the frame bent on your truck?
oh yeah ! in a few spots . ive got the body work just about done to the cab ( gm b-pillar and alot of metal work and a new drivers cab corner while i was dirty ) to be swapped onto the other truck frame that i bought . suprising enough with the help of a ratchet strap to the rear bed stake holes and a sledge hammer with a piece of 2 x 4 hitting the bed floor ,the box straightened pretty good .
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2007, 09:59 PM   #49
66skylarkpost

pics of all the work . this all could 've been avoided .
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2007, 10:05 PM   #50
66skylarkpost

what i live for more carnage
Attached Images