The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #26
spudtruck

Re: Late model bed on my 66

66-Pmd-GMC It looks like you have stirred up all kind of ideas. The bed is quite easy to put on. I wish that I would've taken pictures. I used 2 inch square stock accross the original bed mounts and extended it out further about 8 inches on each side and bolted down the front of the bed. Then on the rear I ran 1.5 inch stock across the back and bolted to the tabs on the rear mount on the new style bed.I'm only using 4 bolts because it really isn't going to haul much except for my black lab. I really didn't take too long probably 1/2 a day.I had another person helped me lift it on the back of the truck. We took the tailgate off to help with weight.

I understand your feeling on trying to keep on a budget. I looked around and had the same luck you had on buying a bed. Not a reasonable one out there. I was able to buy mine for 250.00. The bed was straight and no rust. That is the great part about fiberglass. I appreciate everyones comments on the step shavers. They really do change the look of things.I was able to pick one up on flea bay. I think that it cost around 80 bucks plus shipping.Here is one that I really like from the 67-72 side of the forum.
Attached Images

spudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #27
spudtruck

I think the name of the person that owned the truck is Mike Nutt. He has an intresting build. He put oak in the bottom and I that is what I will do also. You might want to look at some of my other pictures on the budget build.

You really are being different with your build. Isn't that how hot rodding got its roots. You did the very best you could, with what you had and your budget. I admire you for not going into debt over your ride. It's a lot more fun if the bank doesn't own your ride.

Good Luck and keep me posted

Last edited by spudtruck; 01-06-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #28
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

That makes a nice looking package. The body lines match up and it's amazing how much better that bed looks with the back steps removed.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #29
spudtruck

[

I am looking forward to more posts on this and I am hoping that yours will be the first that looks "like it was meant to be". Shaving those rear steps was a huge improvement.[/QUOTE]

Thanks lakeroadster I hope it turns out too.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:50 PM   #30
spudtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverod View Post
Thats OK I know your cool and I like the truck. Can't wait till you put the big potato back in it.
Yep had to take it out because it was so cold up here it was turning into frozen tater tots.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #31
daverod
SSN 706

Hope your getting some good ideas for your truck.
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #32
66-PMD-GMC
The 60-66 GMC/Pontiac guy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudtruck View Post
I think the name of the person that owned the truck is Mike Nutt. He has an intresting build. He put oak in the bottom and I that is what I will do also. You might want to look at some of my other pictures on the budget build.

You really are being different with your build. Isn't that how hot rodding got its roots. You did the very best you could, with what you had and your budget. I admire you for not going into debt over your ride. It's a lot more fun if the bank doesn't own your ride.

Good Luck and keep me posted
Yes, hot rodding was built on mix and match cars.
My son wants me to incorporate mercury cougar tail lights into the build...
(Aint gonna happen)
I like Nutt's truck!
My 66 is being built to tow trailers. 5th wheel, goose neck and rear receiver.
The 63 (truck) is the go fast ride.
The 63 Carryall is the cart the family 'round vehicle...
No emissions
Cheap plates and insurance
And class no new vehicle could ever muster...
ALL powered by Pontiac..

Building Genuine Pontiac Firepowered cars and trucks for several decades.

Why Pontiac?? That's just me daring to be different.

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac

Last edited by 66-PMD-GMC; 01-06-2011 at 11:07 PM.
66-PMD-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:12 PM   #33
spudtruck

I see your use now. I think you could still bolt it down just add another crossmember. Your 5th wheel hitch would be hooked to the frame anyway. It is a really straight forward swap.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:36 PM   #34
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudtruck View Post
I see your use now. I think you could still bolt it down just add another crossmember. Your 5th wheel hitch would be hooked to the frame anyway. It is a really straight forward swap.
Yes, the 5th wheel and goose neck both mount on a plate that is bolted directly through the bed and to the frame with spacers where necessary for clearance. The bed floor is just part of the sandwich and plays no supporting part.
The 66 is the tow vehicle and will certainly pull the 63 from time to time.
The 63 will have the new M/T 19.5" wide radials in the rear and some skinnies in the front.
Because of the wrap around front window and door lines, I think the search for a fleetside bed will continue for that truck.
I am getting some great ideas from this thread. I am glad I started it...

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac

Last edited by 66-PMD-GMC; 01-06-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:02 AM   #35
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes that bed does look much better without the rear step.

The sportside beds do look good on the '67-'72's. The curvature of the bedside matches closely and the body lines are close as well. There must be a way of making this bed look as good on a '60-'66 as it does on a '67-'72.

Edit: Just had an idea. What about sectioning the front step? Cut it down so it isn't so tall. What do you guys think about that?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 01-07-2011 at 03:17 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #36
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC View Post
My preference in all of this is an original fleetside bed....
Just Do It!

The newer 'glass beds fit the body lines of the 67-72 trucks much better than ours but ... squared off wheel whell openings in the rear with round in the front? And that looks better than stock? Again, it looks different, but really, do ya think it looks better? Heck the 67-72's had redesigned factory beds that matched the body reveals and wheel well openings.

Hang tough and find an original bed, since you have stated that is really what you want. It will help with resale of your truck too.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #37
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
Just Do It!

The newer 'glass beds fit the body lines of the 67-72 trucks much better than ours but ... squared off wheel whell openings in the rear with round in the front? And that looks better than stock? Again, it looks different, but really, do ya think it looks better? Heck the 67-72's had redesigned factory beds that matched the body reveals and wheel well openings.

Hang tough and find an original bed, since you have stated that is really what you want. It will help with resale of your truck too.
Not trying to kick a dead horse but...
The original stepside bed on the 60-66.. to me.. looks mismatched and has since the day they were new. I have never liked them on the 60-66 trucks and never will.
The fender curves and shape match the 50's trucks beautifully but IMO the stock bed looks flat out wrong with the 60-66, always has and always will.
I wouldn't use a stock stepside bed if it were given to me free. I just don't like the look.
So yes, I think the 96 stepside bed is a better looking bed than the original stepside BUT......
I think the original fleetside bed looks better than any of the other beds and my only beef with that bed is the tiny unattractive and under lit taillights.
I can't find an original short box at a fair price and to shorten a long box is an option IF I can find a clean, rust free donor AND a steel short floor from a 67-72 as I want a steel floor not a wood floor.
This all becomes a matter of budget and parts availability.
I have looked for a short fleet bed for over 2 years and my patience has reached it's limit.

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 01-07-2011, 06:32 PM   #38
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
I wouldn't use a stock stepside bed if it were given to me free. I just don't like the look.
Ouch.... there's a lot of us here with stepsides that love'em. But, I guess we all have our favorites. For the record I'd take any good used parts off any 60-66 that were free.

Well, good luck to ya however you end up going.

Since you're from Arizona I gotta think if you're willing to drive east or west a state or two that there oughta be some decent short fleet boxes around. Finding one though that is "rust free", as you stated, ought to be darn tough though.

I see short fleets being used as utility trailers occasionally around here. You willing to drive as far as Colorado? I can keep an eye out for one for ya. What price range are you talking?

Last edited by lakeroadster; 01-07-2011 at 07:02 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:03 PM   #39
66-PMD-GMC

Unfortunately the edicate and rules police on this list won't let me mention wanting, seeking or selling anything without editing me.
However, minor surface rust is no big deal, my problem is finding anything without actual chunks missing completely and the ridiculous prices I am finding when I find something I can work with.
As far as what others like or dislike, I'm not slamming anyone for what their ride looks like, I made a personal statement of my opinion about stock stepsides and my personal preferances...
Thats the beauty of our hobby. What is lovely in one man's eye can be crap in anothers but I respect their choice to build their ride any way they like.

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 01-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #40
Indian113

Quote:
Unfortunately the edicate and rules police on this list won't let me mention wanting, seeking or selling anything without editing me.
Theres a EASY fix for that only costs $25.00 to do all of that you want for a YEAR!!!!
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:43 AM   #41
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
I have looked for a short fleet bed for over 2 years and my patience has reached it's limit.
This is the same issue voiced in the thread about the scarcity of hoods. Sadly when our trucks were new most got treated like fleet vehicles or worse.

By the 1990's a huge number of pickup trucks were owned primarily as passenger cars, so good parts are readily available now and will be in the future. If I'd only had the foresight to stock up on these items when they were common and inexpensive!
Old 01-08-2011, 03:39 AM   #42
losthope

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmopar View Post
i just threw up in my mouth

x2

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
H.A.M.B 54 Build Thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=622142
losthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #43
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
This is the same issue voiced in the thread about the scarcity of hoods. Sadly when our trucks were new most got treated like fleet vehicles or worse.

By the 1990's a huge number of pickup trucks were owned primarily as passenger cars, so good parts are readily available now and will be in the future. If I'd only had the foresight to stock up on these items when they were common and inexpensive!
Yes, Sheet metal for the GMC trucks is rare.
I have a beat up old hood that came with my truck too that is barely salvageable.
My 63 truck has no hood and my 63 suburban has a Chevy hood that is in perfect condition. But it needs a GMC hood.
I have been on the lookout for a clean GMC hood since I got the trucks and have bought every 63-66 GMC hood I could find regardless of condition. I now have 3 pretty crappy hoods and 1 almost nice GMC hood.
I am building a cowl induction hood from 2 other donor hoods I have. I am taking the front "mouth" of the GMC hood, shrinking it and putting it at the back of the hood as the cowl inlet and raising the entire center of the GMC hood gradually from the front to 3" higher in the rear. It makes the hood look very aggressive and it will be functional.
I have also been collecting any GMC specific sheet metal and other parts, not to resell, but to use on the 3 vehicles I am going to build.
I prefer not to sell anything frankly, but I found that the Chevy stuff that I do have can be traded for GMC stuff that others don't want but I need.
I have also been on the lookout for a short box metal floor as well and I see that they are pretty rare too. I am starting to see that unless someone is really lucky, most of the stuff needs to be fabricated from existing parts.
The re-pop stuff available that I have seen so far is garbage so that leaves us all where we started... scrounging for stuff to finish our rides.
THIS is why I am considering using a 96 bed on my 66. Because it is the best thing I could find for the money in a long hunt for parts to finish my project.
It's been over 2 long years since I started these projects. I would like to be done sooner than later.

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 01-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #44
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
Ouch.... there's a lot of us here with stepsides that love'em. But, I guess we all have our favorites. For the record I'd take any good used parts off any 60-66 that were free.
I didn't say I wouldn't take it. I said I wouldn't use it on my truck.
Of course on a 59 GMC... now your talking....

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 01-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #45
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Looking forward to seeing your modified hood.

Regardless if the later bed is your ultimate goal initiating this thread certainly inspired a lot of interest and opinions, which is what I really enjoy about this forum. Frequently on other sites someone will ask a question and either no one responds, or several members provide an answer, and the originator never bothers to acknowledge if they even read the input. I enjoy the various perspectives even when they don’t coincide with mine, because I never learn anything new only listening to myself!
Old 01-08-2011, 03:43 PM   #46
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Looking forward to seeing your modified hood.

Regardless if the later bed is your ultimate goal initiating this thread certainly inspired a lot of interest and opinions, which is what I really enjoy about this forum. Frequently on other sites someone will ask a question and either no one responds, or several members provide an answer, and the originator never bothers to acknowledge if they even read the input. I enjoy the various perspectives even when they don’t coincide with mine, because I never learn anything new only listening to myself!
There are some very cool things about this forum.
I do find it odd that people are posting to this thread and misreading and/or misunderstanding what I was trying to accomplish.
I came across a good deal on a bed that had 3 gal. of paint included with the bed for the price of just the paint. It was a GOOD deal.
I didn't ever set out with the intension of finding a late model bed for my truck. I found and bought a bed and posted for photos to see what it would look like on my truck.
In the 50's and 60's, guys would pull grills and bumpers off one vehicle and fit them to another to customize their rides. That's how it all started.
I made some personal reflective statements here and some guys took offense to them. This sure wasn't my intension...
I still would rather get a fleetside and call it a day on my 66. I might even just drop the 66 cab back on to a long bed frame and collect some long bed fleet parts and put together a truck from that to work with as that is the ultimate goal on this truck. It is a work truck not a prom queen. I am building it to tow my race car and my other truck and anything else that needs to be pulled down the road. I also want it to look nice, not show car nice, just nice.
I am now more up in the air than ever on what to do to put together a work truck now but I will make a decision this week and go for it.
I will post photos of my Frankenstein 66 when I am done.

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 01-13-2011, 11:48 PM   #47
66-PMD-GMC

Well, I found a rough short box fleet bed for my 66.
The 96 bed will go on a set of saw horses and maybe I will get a 67-72...
Who knows what the future holds?

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac