The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2007, 05:17 PM   #26
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Re: Door Speakers

I would not put expandable foam in the doors. It will only trap water and cause rust.

As far as sound quality, spend some big $$$ on sound deadener on the floor, back of the cab, and doors and your system should sound nice.... that is, if you can even hear it over the roar of a nice V-8 and duals
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:24 PM   #27
Orange
Licensed to Thrill!

Just a thought here...
An $800 pair of speakers in a tin can truck cab is going to take some more modification that just the mounting troubles you face to get premium sound out of them.

I have 2 Infinity Kappa 693.7i 6x9's under the seat ($250 speakers) and some Infinity Reference 6-1/2"s in the kick panel area ($100) speakers. The sound is plenty to blast you with a sufficient amp - but isn't by any means audiophile quality.

My only point is this - these trucks aren't at all engineered for premium sound. You are going to have to do extensive work to the acoustics to get good sound out of it. The mounting of the speakers is should be the least of your worries.

DLB
Old 02-28-2007, 10:45 PM   #28
Pl4yboy
Freeeeee Mason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
You don't need an enclosure, that's what I'm saying. The problem with mounting speakers in the doors is the doors themselves. As long as you aren't mounting the speaker to the door, you are fine.

For 90% of the people out there, slapping a speaker in the door will sound good enough for them. But if you are spending more than $200 on a pair of speakers, then mounting them to 20 gauge steel is money wasted.

Line the inside of the outer door skin with about a cubic foot of sound deadener behind the speaker location. Then build a mount for the speaker out of 1/2" or thicker medite. At the very least, make a ring to mount the speaker to so the motion of the speaker is absorbed. Otherwise, the door will vibrate and ruin the sound of the speaker.

You want to avoid mounting the speaker strait to the sheet metal. I am building custom door door panels that have support for speakers. The bottom of the door is a great location, but mounting a $400 speaker to a 37 year old piece of steel is a bad idea. You will have enough problems with rattles as it is.

Just my $.02
^^the reason I originally wanted to go with kicks... just exploring options I guess.

And Orange-

I can't really change the fact that it is a tin can truck. Speaker placement is the most important thing to worry about. You can't turn the truck into a plastic heap of a new vehicle, but you can dynomat (or w/e deadner you use) and get the speakers firing in a direction that suits your tastes. For me, thats going to be from kick panels, angled straight into the listeners face. I'm running 2880 watts to my subs alone... the Rainbows take another 250. I'm fairly sure its going to rattle like a tin can anyway so i better make it sound as good as I can.
Pl4yboy is offline   Reply With Quote