The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2014, 03:16 PM   #26
Just call me Sean

Re: Low buck? More like no buck. The poor mans build.

A/C on the '83 held vacuum for the 45 minutes it took me to go to the store and get the refrigerant, so I charged it up. Book says 3.75 lbs and you only put 85% of the charge when switching to 134a. Compressor is noisier than I think it should be and with a full charge the low seemed high at 60 psi, so it may need a compressor. It also only blew at 70 degrees sitting still and 60 moving. But it works, and the old lady just took it out for a ride. Probably won't do anything to the '87 today. Still making up my mind.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:29 PM   #27
c3006

Sometimes some AC is better than no AC !
c3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:42 PM   #28
Just call me Sean

Especially here in Florida.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #29
Just call me Sean

Got a few things done this weekend. New battery terminals and soldered ends on the cables.

Drivers side gas door painted:

And the screws for the gas door:

Drivers side of the bed painted:

And unmasked:

I also picked up the missing high side a/c line, but it was different so I had to bend it to fit. I'll look for the right one later. Then I went to hook up the dangling under dash vacuums and discovered that a bunch of the ducting and stuff is missing. More to find at the junkyard.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:07 AM   #30
C@rnut001

I really like how you are doing your truck. It will look good and you will have less money in it than most people do. I am trying to do that somewhat with my Blazer, but I don't have junkyards around to get parts. However, there are a lot of old Chevy pickups in my Alaskan village, so I might be able to get some parts that way. Anyway, keep up the great job and keep the updates coming.
C@rnut001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:01 PM   #31
Just call me Sean

I went ahead and registered it yesterday so it has a tag now.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:26 AM   #32
Just call me Sean

Found out earlier the gas gauge doesn't work right. Yep, ran out of gas, at just over an eighth of a tank. Already knew the oil and volt gauges didn't work, and with the missing vent parts it must be a real mess back there. Leaks power steering fluid, but I don't see from where yet because it doesn't spray while running. And it's dripping water from somewhere, but I can't see from where. Only while running, seems like maybe the drivers side water pump gasket. I'll take off the power steering pump to get a better look at both.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:30 PM   #33
Just call me Sean

So, today I pulled apart the dash to see what parts were missing.

Then off to the junkyard to see what I could find. Not just under the dash but as many missing parts as I could find.

Got the a/c compressor and lines, defrost vent ducting, some small low duct piece, dome light housing, under dash vacuums (which were different but I made them work), compressor harness, radio harness plugs, hot/cold cable, and the missing center seatbelt.

Already had the compressor brackets, but I need two bolts for that. The cowl pocket is rusty which will allow water to come in the cab, probably will just silicone it up. Firewall is rusty where the heater box bolts to it, somebody put in a few self tappers which is good enough for now. For some reason the defrost door isn't opening, but does when I apply vacuum. Probably the vacuum part of the controls. Need to find the tube that connects the passenger side vent and the duct that connects the drivers side vent. Still have to find the water leak and power steering leak before I put on the compressor. Everything I picked up cost me $50, not too bad.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:30 PM   #34
Just call me Sean

There's the problem.

Found it last night, the freeze plug was leaking. Put that in earlier, and a new power steering pump with reservoir. Didn't want to mess around trying a seal kit, and the pulley didn't fit tight on the shaft. That wasn't a problem with the new one, broke the bolt of my installer tool in the end of the shaft. Got it out fairly easily though and with a new grade 8 bolt finished putting on the pulley. Seems good now but didn't have time to test drive yet.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #35
rusty76

Freeze plugs in my old 400 in my '76 liked to leak. I fixed three of them. Got really tired of it. They were all very hard to get to it seemed. Uggggg. But it got me by. Glad to see you making progress. Whats up with the blazer in the background? Looks like it is painted john deer green and yellow. See ya.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #36
Just call me Sean

That's my friends S10. He just painted it like that. He did mention John Deere a few times.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #37
rusty76

I bet..........
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
Old 08-05-2014, 09:40 PM   #38
Just call me Sean

Got the other two vent pieces and a radiator hold down bracket yesterday from the junkyard, $9. And I just picked up ten feet of vacuum hose and a check valve from AutoZone for $17, to hook up the vents and cruise control. Maybe the cruise will work. Put the compressor and lines on last night. Going to vacuum it when I get the chance to see if it leaks.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:14 PM   #39
Just call me Sean

The rear end is going out on my work van and is much too nerve racking to continue using to pull my trailer, so I may have to start using the truck earlier than planned for a little while. I did pick up a rear at the junkyard today for it, for $100, but not sure if I feel like putting it in right now. While I was there I looked around some more and found a couple more square bodies I didn't see last time. I grabbed these two instrument bezels:

Mine is busted out at the radio. These are like $200 at LMC, the guy gave them to me for free. So I tipped him $10 and said get a beer on me. One has an hour meter on it, the other is a little different so I don't want to use it but I had to have it, especially at that price.

He also included the tires and rims bolted to the rear because they had lug nut locks on them and I said I would deal with it if he left them, so two extra ralley rim spares too.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:13 PM   #40
Just call me Sean

Picked up the 134a conversion fittings and an orifice tube. Put those in, finished hooking up the system, stole the belt off the '83 because I forgot to buy one, and vacuumed down the system. Held vacuum for 30 minutes so I charged it up. Now I have a/c, yeah buddy. Might really have to switch to the truck now, I did fix the van so I didn't switch yet.

No painting today, damn rain as usual.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:32 PM   #41
natedogg

I like your style. Keep up the good work.
natedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:32 PM   #42
c3006

Nothin like a little air in flooridia. Good job.
c3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:07 PM   #43
Just call me Sean

Thanks guys.

Sealed up the rust in the cowl with roof sealing tape. Basically tar in tape form.

This should stop most if not all the water penetration into the cab, and hopefully the a/c will work better too. Lots of cold air coming out under the hood from around the box so I'm going to silicone that too.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:54 PM   #44
Just call me Sean

Siliconed the box to the firewall as much as I could reach, huge difference. Blows harder and colder.

So today was its maiden voyage for work, pull my trailer every day and it's 25 miles there 25 back. The a/c worked awesome, 50-55 degrees at the vent moving or stopped. The truck itself, not so well. It would randomly chatter and lose power, like if it were overheating but it wasn't, that gauge works and the chatter was random. Service Engine light came on while going there and also going home. Pulled codes, 12 (diagnostic), 32 (EGR) and 43 (EST). EGR is leaking at the base, fix what's broken go from there so I picked up a gasket. I'll check the EGR for movement and function when I get it off. I checked the timing, it was a bit advanced, I did unplug the one wire connector. The EST I'm thinking the knock sensor picked up on the chatter, or I might have to look into it further. I'll see how it does tomorrow.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:10 AM   #45
Just call me Sean

Oops, 43 is ESC, which I looked in to a little more and led me to the knock sensor. It was busted off and unplugged. Glued the broken tip back on and plugged it back in. That might do it.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:53 PM   #46
Just call me Sean

Yep, the knock sensor took care of the ESC code and chattering. The EGR code came back, it doesn't move with manifold vacuum applied but it isn't frozen up. A/C still nice and cold, but will need new window seals to keep the cold air in. The truck seems to lack power. It was good without the trailer, and I know the trailer is pretty heavy, but I think it should have more. When the time comes for tires I'll step them down to factory size instead of the 31s on it, which should help some. Trying to figure out the mileage I'm getting, which is tough when the speedometer reads 85 at 55 and the gas gauge doesn't work right. I also put a convex mirror glass on the passenger side to replace the broken one. Need good mirrors when pulling a trailer. I might smash out the one on the '83 so I can put one on it too.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:51 PM   #47
Just call me Sean

A/C compressor locked up on the way to work today. It was fun while it lasted.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:12 PM   #48
rusty76

Oh well.....At least you got a little AC.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
Old 08-24-2014, 10:10 PM   #49
Just call me Sean

Pulled this off the transmission and now the speedometer reads correctly.

My only guess is the transmission was changed, don't know why else it would be there when the speedometer is right on without it. It was way off before.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #50
Just call me Sean

Having issues with Photobucket, but at least now I can download attachments while I couldn't before. Been working on it here and there, painted some and finished the wheels. Got the caps and rings on.
Attached Images