The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2022, 08:52 PM   #26
SCOTI

Re: Need some knowledgeable input

Easiest 2" is to cut a coil. But, if you like how it rides now & its not banging/bottoming out, the spindles get you the drop w/o altering your current set-up (as far as spring travel & bump-stop contact).

Its easy to get the drop. Its harder to decide how you want to achieve that drop within your parameters.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 10:05 PM   #27
theastronaut

I'm running original '66 drum brake wheels with CPP 2.5" spindles and stock springs with one coil cut off for another ~2-3" of drop. The bump stop brackets are completely cut off to regain full bump travel. I used 1.5" bolt on spacers to make the wheels clear the spindles. 1.25" spacers will also work, they're thick enough to clear the original studs. Thinner slip on spacers can work but you have to press in longer studs.

As is, it has zero clearance issues with 215/75 tires. I am running about -1* of camber which pulls the top of the tire in slightly- adds grip and stability and isn't enough to hurt tire wear. This is the third truck I've set up like this, it drives and rides great. I like the look of the wheels spaced out farther since I'm running deeper 8" wide wheels in the rear. Without the front spacers the narrower front wheels would look tucked in too far compared to the rear.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 10:43 PM   #28
theastronaut

There's a lot of confusion around which six lug wheels will clear drum brakes without a spacer.

The easiest way is to look at the inner barrel. If the majority of it is angled 45* it will not clear without spacing the wheel out. These **usually** have three nub/square slot centers- more on that later.

If the inner barrel has a 90* step (same shape as the outer lip) it should clear the caliper. Later 70's six lug wheels have this rim profile and usually but not always have four nub/straight slot centers.

Four nub/straight slot 15x6 from a squarebody, this is a five lug but there are six lug wheels that are identical.

Oddballs- There are some three nub wheels out there that have 90* inner barrels. I had a '69 C10 with '69 date coded Kelsey Hayes wheels that were three nub/square slot with stepped/90* inner barrels. There are also aftermarket "chrome reverse" wheels with three nub/square slot centers and stepped/90* inner barrels. So don't go by the common saying that "three nub wheels don't clear disc brakes". They usually don't, but it's not always true.

From left to right- '69 KH 5.5", aftermarket reverse offset 6", aftermarket reverse offset 8". Not pictured- aftermarket reverse offset 7".

Another variant, a factory Blazer 15x8- four nub/straight slot center beside a three nub/square slot center 15x5.5. This is a pet peeve of mine- using mismatched square/straight slot wheels on the same truck

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote