The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2011, 02:25 PM   #26
HTX86chevy

Re: a/c help needed.

38*F wow, thats amazing! mine is still only at about 80*F , but i havent had much time to tinker with it yet. today is supposed to be another 100*F Texas heat wave so i'm not leaving the house unless absolutely necessary!
Old 06-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #27
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheApocalyptican View Post
Wanted to post in about the condenser. Tonight I got down to 38°F at idle in my driveway. I basically have a new compressor, new parallel flow condenser, 1 year old hoses, and a 4 year old evap. It took quite a bit of playing around with the charge to get to this point, and right now I am not really sure how much charge I actually have, but I'm guessing around 28-30 oz.

Is there a source for the seal/gasket that is attached to the small duct portion that removes for access to the blend door? I am currently losing air due to the seal not being good enough.
seen some use of the thin tin tape for that ducting
if you had that off then you know if the blender door control is ok?not broke like my #2
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #28
TheApocalyptican

HTX86chevy: Keep in mind....this was last night when it was maybe 80°F outside. However, after taking it out today....it was ice cold when moving . Forgot the thermo so I don't know the exact temp, but it was nice and cold when moving. My problem now is I need to buy/make a cover for the top of my rad, and space the fan farther into the shroud so it works better at idle during the day when it's 100°+ out. Gotta get that air flow across the condenser, and having a 4 row rad doesn't help.

Motornut: My blend door's clip is broken too. But as of right now the local dealer is out(should have em on wednesday), and it only is sending a very small amount of air to the floor, and as a result keeps my feet cooler, so for now it's ok with me that it's broken. Also, dealer no longer stocks the seal I asked about, so I'm gonna have to figure out my own way of doing it.

Last edited by TheApocalyptican; 06-17-2011 at 04:45 PM.
TheApocalyptican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #29
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheApocalyptican View Post
HTX86chevy: Keep in mind....this was last night when it was maybe 80°F outside. However, after taking it out today....it was ice cold when moving . Forgot the thermo so I don't know the exact temp, but it was nice and cold when moving. My problem now is I need to buy/make a cover for the top of my rad, and space the fan farther into the shroud so it works better at idle during the day when it's 100°+ out. Gotta get that air flow across the condenser, and having a 4 row rad doesn't help.

Motornut: My blend door's clip is broken too. But as of right now the local dealer is out(should have em on wednesday), and it only is sending a very small amount of air to the floor, and as a result keeps my feet cooler, so for now it's ok with me that it's broken. Also, dealer no longer stocks the seal I asked about, so I'm gonna have to figure out my own way of doing it.
sticky back foam,like a house door seal maybe?
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #30
TheApocalyptican

Quote:
Originally Posted by motornut View Post
sticky back foam,like a house door seal maybe?
Problem with that is that the foam is all too thick. It needs to be like 1/8" wide and 1/4" deep by like 16" long. I haven't had any luck finding anything. I picked up some cork tape, and once I get the blend door clip, I am either gonna use the tape, or maybe stretch the windshield seal stuff I have to make it thin enough.
TheApocalyptican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #31
tucsonjwt

Camper shell tape - cut it to appropriate/desired width. Pipe insulation on a roll - often sticky on one side and metallic on the other side, foam style.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote