The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2007, 09:06 AM   #26
bigblock73
yeller

Re: 6" front drop question

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Jeff, why are you fighting this thing. You want it low, and you don't want to tear up all your hard work making it pretty.

Do your self a favor and bag it. You get the best of both worlds...
I didn't intend to do a 6" drop, but I like how the rear sits...so down the front must come.

And as far as air suspension...thought about it, but $$ was the issue. Also, not a real big fan of bags...maybe I am just old school, I dunno. More stuff to dink with, more stuff to possibly break...static drops seem so simple and or more cost effective (for me).

We'll see how the front turns out..
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:25 AM   #27
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73 View Post
I didn't intend to do a 6" drop, but I like how the rear sits...so down the front must come.
We'll see how the front turns out..
See, your already hooked. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with static drops. In most cases they are perfect for a mild drop. Speaking from experience of driving seriously lowered vehicles with out air, I can tell you your going to tear something up.

As careful as you might plan to be, there is always going to be a bump or dip that sneaks up on you. There is nothing worse than scraping freshly painted suspension parts or fender liners. The ultimate sick feeling is when you cut up a pretty new tire.

Just my opinion, but it is based on experience...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:32 AM   #28
los-lowrider

I definately agree to N2TRUX.
@bigblock: I also didn't plan to bag but I want go low so this is the only way. The static drop drives great but where do you find such great roads?
Old 05-17-2007, 10:56 AM   #29
solidaxel

Be sure and go with a larger rim dia. so you don't have a interference with the lower A-arm !!!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:18 AM   #30
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel View Post
Be sure and go with a larger rim dia. so you don't have a interference with the lower A-arm !!!
Offset/backspacing is more important than diameter. You can run a skinny 15" front wheel & not rub or run a 18/20" wheel w/too much BS & rub.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:01 PM   #31
bigblock73
yeller

I am good on the wheels, they are 15's, with proper BS'ing, and the a-arms have been trimmed.

I replaced the springs last night, just have to put the wheels back on, lower it to the ground, and take some pictures.

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:25 PM   #32
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Once the bug bites you, you can't quit.

I remember someone saying they weren't going to lower their truck. You don't happen to remember who that was do you?

Mike
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:40 PM   #33
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by swervin ervin View Post
Once the bug bites you, you can't quit.

I remember someone saying they weren't going to lower their truck. You don't happen to remember who that was do you?

Mike
I never said I wouldn't lower it, I said I wouldn't go lower than my initial 4/4 drop. Memory must be going as you get older there Mike.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:48 PM   #34
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Ok, I'll give you that. Memory is about the only thing I have left that is worth a damn anymore.
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:33 PM   #35
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by swervin ervin View Post
Ok, I'll give you that. Memory is about the only thing I have left that is worth a damn anymore.
If it ain't one thing it's another Mike. Everything works for me "but" my memory.

Jeff, I'm not one to dog ya on this, I was going to "restore" my 82 Blazer....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:47 PM   #36
slugish
Slugish

Wink Re: 6" front drop question

Quote:
Can you confirm this through experience, or is this just what you believe?

Not being a smart ass, but would like to know this is indeed a fact based on experience and not hear say.

I am hoping this is not the case, if it is, then I guess the inner fenders will need to get reworked.

Anyone here run or running a 6" drop in front?
replaced my 1.5 in. coils with 3 in like yours

have either 2.5 or 3 in from aim industries (chassistech) does anyone know if 2.5 or 3

so ive got either 5.5 or 6 , with bump stops left alone no problem. rather bump stop hit control arm rather than wheel hitting top of fender . Am running 255x50x17,s onfront
only problem they scrudwhen steering is turned all the way scrub , not scrud. hope this helps
slugish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:11 PM   #37
bigblock73
yeller

Well I got the springs all installed, put the wheels on, and lowered it to the ground.

Doesn't sit any different??

Double checked the part numbers, and I believe I was sent 1.5" coils...not 3"!!!!!

I thought it was strange they looked similar to my existing 1" coils...I figured they would compress more and that would be how the drop was achieved.

I hope Sport Truck Direct fixes this problem, if not, they will get a lot of bad PR from me, as this is the second order they messed up for me.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:54 PM   #38
bigblock73
yeller

OK, if anyone is still reading...

I called STD (sport truck direct), told them of my problem, and they told me these were 3" drop coils due to the fact that I have a bb and not a sb. They said part number 63c1015 is a 1.5" coil if I had a small block, but the same part number is a 3" drop coil if I have a big block.

WTF!???

Doesn't make sense to me. He said call back monday, when the mfr are open, and we can work out a return. I am soo pissed right now, what a pain in the ass!

End of rant.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:00 PM   #39
SCOTI

Quote:

I called STD (sport truck direct), told them of my problem, and they told me these were 3" drop coils due to the fact that I have a bb and not a sb. They said part number 63c1015 is a 1.5" coil if I had a small block, but the same part number is a 3" drop coil if I have a big block.

WTF!???

Doesn't make sense to me. He said call back monday, when the mfr are open, and we can work out a return. I am soo pissed right now, what a pain in the ass!

End of rant.
Yep.... Still watching to see how this works out for you.

If you were happy w/the coils that were in the truck (except for the ride height), cut 1 coil off of them & be done. I won't tell anyone .
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 05-19-2007, 01:16 PM   #40
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

Quote:

WTF!???

End of rant.
thats so stupid!

how in the hell are they going to cheap out and use the same spring for 2 different combiantions?!?!

they need to have a sbc coil with the correct spring rates, and another bbc coil with the same spring rates.

so are they saying that with a big block above the springs, it will DOUBLE the drop of the springs? so a 3" coil with a big block would drop the truck 6"????
tear them a new hole for me please

edit: jeff, if you could do you think when you talk to someone on monday if you could get them to give you the specs on all of their springs? like the spring rates and other info. i've been looking for the it for awhile and i'm sure it would help you out a little to learn what the hell they are doing there with the springs...

Last edited by ocbaud; 05-19-2007 at 01:17 PM.
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 01:22 PM   #41
boatpuller

i'm followin...........must be a big block spring rate issue.as you know they weigh more.would have been nice if they would have told you that in first place.i agree with scoti,cut one coil.you really won't notice a ride issue with cutting one coil.i've had em in different cars and trucks over the years.sometimes i get in that same groove on a project for mine,where everything turns into a pain in the butt.and you end up doing and redoing about 3 times.but when you get that perfect stance and your looking at it,sucking down your beverage of choice.it all seems worth it.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:50 PM   #42
bigblock73
yeller

Scoti & boatpuller, if I cut one coil off my Bell Tech coils, how much additional drop do you think that will net?

Eric, I will see what they say. Keep in mind, STD only sells the parts, Western Chassis makes them. I have been unable to find a phone number or website for Western Chassis themselves.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:01 PM   #43
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Quote:
Scoti & boatpuller, if I cut one coil off my Bell Tech coils, how much additional drop do you think that will net?

Eric, I will see what they say. Keep in mind, STD only sells the parts, Western Chassis makes them. I have been unable to find a phone number or website for Western Chassis themselves.
I sent you an email, but if figured others may want to see this also:

Western Chassis Inc.
2550 S. East Ave., Suite 101
Fresno, CA 93706 US
phone: (599) 266-4844
fax: (599) 266-4864

Western Chassis
Spindles, shackles, leaf springs, drop coil/control arm kits
(559) 266-2133

This company owns western same number as above and addres…..
Tanney Manufacturing. 2550 S. East Ave. Suite 101. Fresno, Calif. 93706. Ph# 559-266-4844.

I would start at 1/2 and then go a 1/4 coil at a time...

BTW, BBC and SBC factory springs are identical from all that I have seen. If it is a 3" drop, it is a 3" drop. These don't know what they are talking about.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 03:06 PM   #44
boatpuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captkaos View Post
I sent you an email, but if figured others may want to see this also:

Western Chassis Inc.
2550 S. East Ave., Suite 101
Fresno, CA 93706 US
phone: (599) 266-4844
fax: (599) 266-4864

Western Chassis
Spindles, shackles, leaf springs, drop coil/control arm kits
(559) 266-2133

This company owns western same number as above and addres…..
Tanney Manufacturing. 2550 S. East Ave. Suite 101. Fresno, Calif. 93706. Ph# 559-266-4844.

I would start at 1/2 and then go a 1/4 coil at a time...

BTW, BBC and SBC factory springs are identical from all that I have seen. If it is a 3" drop, it is a 3" drop. These don't know what they are talking about.
good advice.........we used to use a rough rule of thumb.1 full coil is 2 inches.don't do more than that,i don't think you'd be happy with the ride.or,get your money back and talk to belltech,or western,djm themselves and see what they can do.they all got tech lines.just a thought.

Last edited by boatpuller; 05-19-2007 at 03:07 PM.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 03:33 PM   #45
SCOTI

Quote:
Rule of thumb is 2" per coil on new springs, a little more than 2" on original or 'seasoned' springs (when compared to a new stock spring). Spring rate would increase slightly as well (I read somewhere that 1 coil was equal to ~20% increase in rate).

Did you get shorter shocks w/your 'kit' or relocate your existing upper mounts? When I did mine, I was left w/approx 1" of shock compression. I relocated my upper mount about 1.5" higher on the frame rails so I could use off the shelf 73-87 truck shocks & maintain @ least 2" of compression stroke.

Just more for you to worry about.....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 05-19-2007, 08:48 PM   #46
SanitysBane

When I put a BBC in my truck that came from the factory with a SBC on old '83 coil springs it only dropped the front of the truck 3/4-1 inch. No way on earth it would drop it 1.5 inches for a brand new spring.
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:04 PM   #47
bigblock73
yeller

OK guys, I talked with Western Chassis today. Their part numbers are 63c1015, 63c1025, 63c1030, and 63c1040. The last two digits indicate the amount of drop...so they have 1.5, 2.5, 3 & 4 inch springs.

STD lied to me on the phone...or they are misimformed badly.

I will be calling them and returning my order. I took off 1/2 coil on my Bell Tech springs...which should net me 1 more inch of drop...giving me a 5" front drop. I will start there and see how it looks. I have also been toying with the idea of changing mounting positions of the drop shackles and just running the flip kit...depending on how the front sits and rides (I have been listening to your advice guys, I don't want to tear anything up!).

Scoti, yes, I have lowered shocks.

Thanks for all the help everyone, much appreciated!
Old 05-21-2007, 01:52 PM   #48
jr2

Hey jeff,
If you can slide a fullsize jack under it it ain't low enough... This shot is before I added fluids and everything else for weight. This is 3" drop spindles and 3" drop springs.

BUT~ I do not have standard offset wheels either ( I think) 5" backspacing with 1.5" spacers (good ones not junkers) and 235x60x15 tires. It looks really good because it get's the wheel/tire package back out of the fenderwell.

Doesn't hit the inner fenders or the fender lip. The control arms are lower than the rim lip (which is lillegal but I didn't plan it that way) Hope it never gets a flat
-1967 Nova 2dr HT & a couple others...

Last edited by jr2; 05-21-2007 at 01:55 PM.
jr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:53 PM   #49
69BBsuburban
Right in front of you.

Talking Re: 6" front drop question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanitysBane View Post
When I put a BBC in my truck that came from the factory with a SBC on old '83 coil springs it only dropped the front of the truck 3/4-1 inch. No way on earth it would drop it 1.5 inches for a brand new spring.

Yep.....I swapped a BB into a 6-cyl truck, and it didn't drop but maybe an 1".
A bigblock doesn't weight much more than a smallblock, esp once ya start adding aluminum intakes and headers over factory castings.......

NICE truck JR!
'68 Dodge Charger R/T
1930 Ford Model A

Last edited by 69BBsuburban; 05-21-2007 at 01:54 PM.
69BBsuburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:53 PM   #50
1987 Shortwide

My 87 buildup
Daily Driver: 99 Sierra SLE 4X4. Black on Black and harder than hell to keep clean.
1987 Shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote