The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2002, 04:21 PM   #26
Luckymic34
Whisky Bent & Hell Bound

Was driving my 68 from Houston to Virginia Beach to get to my new duty station. Left at the last possible moment. Truck died about a mile from where I needed to check in. It was pooring down raining, I had to walk around in the rain for about 15 minutes before I found someone who had some jumper cables to give me a jump start (the alternator had gone out). Well as soon as I hooked the cables to my battery a huge bolt of lightning went flying out of my ears. I stood there for a few seconds frying my butt off. I actually melted the rubber from the cables to my hands. Man that hurt!

[This message has been edited by Luckymic34 (edited April 04, 2002).]
40 series Flowmasters, B&M hole shot
2,000 rmp stall, TCI TH350 Streetfighter,
4.10 gears

2003 Harley Davidson 883C

San Diego, CA by way of
Houston, TX
Luckymic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 05:35 PM   #27
bigvinnie

Here's a good one...was driving to my aunt's house for thanksgiving dinner in my 72 step, about a 3 hr. drive.... about a mile before the freeway exit to her place, 6 cyl. motor started missing and rattling. Babied it to the offramp, only had a about a mile to go, so I decided to try to make it all the way, with the motor barely running, smoking and clattering like hell.

Got about 3 blocks when the motor went BANG! and died.... so I quickly threw it into neutral and figured I'd coast to the nearest driveway and pull in.... big mistake, just my luck that the nearest driveway was an exit to a drive-in movie.... yep, by the time I figured out what the hell happened, the spikes had done their job.... so I had what turned out to be stripped timing gears and 4 blown tires.... happy fawkin' thanksgiving!

------------------
'72 short step, 350, 700R4, tilt, ps, pdb, a/c, lowered coils, etc., other work in progress... San Diego, CA
http://www.ixpres.com/vlusardi/chevtrk.htm

72 Stepside Project
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 07:43 PM   #28
Desert Rat

On my 62 SS I had,i had a cherry hood on it,had a mock up 396 in there to make sure everything cleared,had a hirise on it,a Holley sitting there with a air cleaner on it,Then i slammed the hood shut,i was like damn that wasnt right,slammed it again hood didnt shut all the way I put 2 nice volcano dents in my hood-i left something on the air cleaner,i was pissed i drove like 4 hrs just to get that perfect hood,and it was a miserable trip pring rain,Holley acted up the whole way,starter would grind,i was soaking wet,and the defroster would barely keep the windshield clear with the help of my sleeves.and tank was low and i had like $5 left.I made it home,put that hood on next day-Now for nothing,i threw it in the scrap pile,jumped up and down on it-so i wouldnt be tempted to keep it,
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 07:57 PM   #29
OLDCHEV4X4

I accidently ran over my cat on monday in my own drivway. My 4yr old son was in the truck with me. "Scrap" was the best garage cat i ever had. She never pooped or pissed in the house and slept outside year round in the 70 parts blazer. RIP
Randy

------------------
72 k/10 short wideside
72 k/5 Blazer
72 custom/10 8' bed
69 c/10 8' bed
71 k/5......rusty!! IT WENT TO THE SCRAP YARD
72 custom/10 short stepside
70 C-30 Longhorn, its Longhornmail's now.
70 K-5 Blazer
chester county pennsylvania

72 custom/10 8' bed
70 K/5 Blazer
67 C-30 GMC Flat bed
86 GMC K2500 Plow Truck
85 GMC K3500
84 M1008
85 M1008
77 G30 Motor Home
72 Sears 12hp Tractor
Glenmoore, Pennsylvania
OLDCHEV4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 04:27 PM   #30
jamiew

One morning I was about to leave for work and bumped something backing out of the carport. Like an idiot, I jump out to see what it was without setting the parking brake with the drivers side door wide open with the truck idling. I have always driven a straight shift vehicle and anyone knows that they will roll rather easily without the brake on. Well, see what I hit, my daughters tee ball bat was under my front tire. So, being the genius that I am, I bend over and pull it from under the tire. Bad Idea. The truck went rolling backwards out of the carport, the door hangs on the column and folds into the front fender. Completely destroyed both the door and front fender.
jamiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 06:03 PM   #31
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

Talking

Last Saturday i was replacing both fuel pump gaskets on my '72. I pulled off the inlet hose at the fuel pump, and it started siphoning gas out of the tank, and into a bucket i had under the truck. No big deal, i simply put the hose back on at the pump, and went and disconnected the inlet hose at my gas tank sending unit inside the cab. So anyway, i finish up the truck about an hour later, and i made sure that i reattached all of the fittings at the fuel pump. I start the engine, and i notice my see-through fuel filter is only keeping 1/4" of gas in it. I thought it was leaking out at the pump. So i ducked down under the truck, and saw a waterfall of gas pouring from my passenger side door! I jump up, and bang my head on the front bumper, and go shut off the truck. I spilled about 3 gallons on the concrete, and completely soaked my interior with gas. So anyway, i hosed out the interior (gotta love vinyl seats and floormats ) and let it air out for a day. Still has a fait gas smell though....

------------------
Lucas

"Another proud owner of one of the coolest trucks ever built"

drop_shift@hotmail.com

My Daily-Driver: '72 Chevy LWB Custom/10. Rebuilt 350, 300 HP thanks to a few go-fast goodies. Ochre with a white top. Future plans include TBI fuel injection, a 700R4 tranny, and possibly some 3.73 rear gears.

lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 06:59 PM   #32
>X<
registered IWATA user

stuid thing whitnessed:::when i was shoping fot trucks before i found my 71, i was 15 or so, i went to the ghetto to look at a "mint condition 66 gmc" hahahahh, anyway, the guy told me that the motor ran good, but he didnt have a key for it, so they played wth the wires to get it to turn over, there was no air cleaner on it, no fuel lines on teh carb either, so he takes a beer cn that he said had gas in it and poars teh whole thing in to the top of the carb, itran everywhere, my dads truck was 4 feet form the front because we had jumper cables attatched to the batt of the 66, so my dad kinda pulled me back awa form the open hod while one guy finished up pouring the gas an his drunk friend hot wired it, BOOM, a fireball nearly blew teh hood off, prob singed hir hair, they were pretty close

Take off that Von Dutch hat before i stab you with a 000 Mack.
>X< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 09:45 AM   #33
MarineNav
Official Beaver Inspector

I was changing the oil on my wifes 98 blazer when I noticed a wire hanging down in the engine compartment. I traced it back to the battery box and noticed it was a hot wire. I went to remove it and it hit the aluminum fuel line that goes to the injectors. Instantly melts through and starts a fire I run into the house grab a fire extinguisher and put it out. Went to move the wire again and started another fire. Disconected the battery and all was good until I had to pay for the fuel line. $150 for about 1 foot
Shoulda let it burn
Old 04-06-2009, 11:58 PM   #34
KevsClassics
TILT COLUMN GURU

Re: What have you done thats really sucked!!!

O t n d

64 Impala SS Conv

72 Blazer 2wd

75 Jimmy 2wd

63 Belair wagon

02 Silverado ext cab. DD

RIP EL JAY
KevsClassics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:11 AM   #35
CG
BlahBlahBlah

How the heck do you dig up a thread this old? I only seem to be able to go back a year or so.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:29 AM   #36
70LonghornCST

My wife, at the time my girlfriend, had driven my Plymouth to her parents house. She parked it behind her VW Bug, which sat in front of the garage. The next morning, I went to start my Plymouth and it wouldn't start. I figured that the ignition switch had gone out. I opened the hood to attempt to bypass the ignition switch by crossing the connections at the starter relay switch on the firewall. Well, it started. Yay! Except for the fact that that beast was now starting to drive forward. My Plymouth ran into the back of her Bug, which then got pushed through the garage door. OUCH! Bent Plymouth bumper, bent VW bumper (front and back), and demolished garage doors. Luckily, her parents love me...even after that. It turns out my wife did not put my car in park...she just shut it off. Of course it won't start in drive. Duh!
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Speedwarning, Tach & Vaccum
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal
70LonghornCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:45 AM   #37
Papa Smurf

In the early 70's my wife loved to drive VW bugs(go figure). I found a 67 with A/C which was very rare. The salesman said since it had the A/c it had a tendency to vapor lock, so the PO had installed an electric fuel pump to give it a boost. Drove it around the block and it ran great. Paid the man and headed home. Made it about 10 miles and it started seizing. Somehow made it home and had it towed to mechanic. PO had installed the electric fuel pump in line with the factory pump and it blew the diaphragm which then filled the crankcase with gasoline which doesn't lubricate very well. So long rings. Dealer said "you bought it it's yours". typical. Had to rebuild the motor. Got it going great and my wife called me one day on her way to work and said the generator light came on. I told her to park it and get a ride and I would fix it that afternoon. She had stopped at a friends house and he said you can make it to town on the battery. So she took off and made it about 5 miles before it sputtered to a stop. When I checked it that afternoon you could spin the motor with your fingertips. The back side of the generator is the cooling fan. Got to put another motor in. They should put zippers on those motors. Believe it or not, I still have the same wife - just got rid of the car.
72 Chevy SWB, Factory BB, Leaf Spring
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:07 AM   #38
williamt
68 just like me

One day I pulled into the drive way at the top of the hill to run into the house to get a tape mesure to see how much hose to buy so I could reinstall bed after puting in a blazer tank. I was shocked when I came back out and my truck was gone. more shocked when I saw it over the bank and totaled at the bottom of the hill. crushed front end warped frame . I found a donor truck for 100.00 and it is almost back to road worthy.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #39
chevy72pu

Test run in my 72 one night. Started skipping on the way home. Quit running completely and I coasted to the driveway. Used my z 71 to pull it up the driveway to the shop. Then hooked the winch on the front of my four wheeler to the front frame of the '72 to pull it into the shop. My wife got on the grizzly and started backing into the shop pulling the '72 with her. Rear Tires started spinning on the grizzly. Told her to put it in 4 wheel drive and try again. Next thing I know the front wheels of the grizzly are gripping and the back ones are off the ground. The grizzly stood on its nose with her on it till the engine stalled. It fell back to the ground and she was sitting on the running board on one side and her foot was hung under the handlebar on the other side. When I picked her up, she yanked her foot loose from the handlebar, hitting me in the head with her knee. SHe still won't ride the grizzly and doesn't like riding the golf cart. The '72----- oh, it was out of gas.
chevy72pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:18 PM   #40
tim21391

what i did was stupid was have my cab un bolted and forgot i did that and took it out and roasted tires... oops!!
2013 Mustang V6/6speed w/300 ponies
I may be 23, but i sure do knows 67-72s are sexy!
Its not MPG its smiles per gallon!
build started 11/25/08
build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2993796
tim21391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #41
old Chevy guy

Ive probably seen as many stupid thing as Ive done,or is it the other way around? One time when we were still almost kids me and a bunch of friends were swimming at the local swimming pond.My friends older brother had an old dodge dart about a 71,a rear piece you know the kind. It had blocks of wood 2x4s and such jammed in the trunk holding the rear springs down where them were tearing tru the trunk floor.The stering column was all ripped apart and there was no key and you had to start it with a screwdriver.Since the column was all broken the gear selecter didnt lock in positions to well either.We were all swimming around when we heard the distinct sound a dodge starter makes.Everone looked and the car started turning over by itself then started and somehow the shaking when it started dilodged the shifter and it went in drive and started driving itself down the old boat ramp into the pond.They didnt want anyone to use that ramp anymore so there was a big rock in the water at the end.The dart drove in until it smashed into that rock.Funny as hell we all rolled on the ground except the guy whose car it was.I think it was trying to comit suicide.
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #42
ERASER5

I used my shop vac yesterday. That sucked!
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:52 PM   #43
truckintexas

Angry Re: What have you done thats really sucked!!!

Dropped a real nice truck tilt column. Bent the turn signal housing (now it has a flat side) and the indicator housing (cracked).
truckintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #44
Senator350

Bungees seem to be a fun recurring topic:

My battery on my '70 K10 was held down with one of these infamous bastards... a worn out one at that, and on the way up the highway doing 75mph, I fail to notice crazy blueish white smoke POURING out of my truck. I finally notice in the rear view, pull off an exit, and find my battery melted to my headers!!! The smoke was burning battery fluid!! All that corrosive fluid left a neat patina on my headers and inner fenders!

Couple people metioned lug nuts, and I got one of those stories too:

Replaced front pads on my '95 Mazda 626. Was on way to work, on a curved entrance ramp to highway when steering wheel goes crazy and wobbly clunking starts... I start coasting off the adjoining exit ramp only to watch my left front wheel not coming with me! Luckily, the left handed turn kept me on three wheels until I stopped where the car rested on the lower control arm. It took me FOREVER to get a jack under the car while it was sitting so low, and I felt like a total douchebag picking my wheel out of the weeds and rolling it back to my car in rush hour morning traffic!

Dumb wire problem??? sure... I got that too!

First date with Keri Lucadamo... A real born and bred NYC Italian Republican! She knew nothing about us country folk, and wanted to go mudding with me. Course I was romping on it good in the '70 to show her I was a real man's man! 1/4 mile off the road into the woods and... NOTHING... Stalled out! I think something is horribly wrong. Dad's highschool buddy sends his biggest wrecker to pluck me out and bring me home... Keri was totally impressed. Good thing I borrowed Sis' car and kissed her goodnight before coming home to find my pos battery cable disconected from all the bouncing! We dated for a couple months anyways

Trying to drive after a little flirting with the gaurdrail in a snowstorm... nursing it up the lonely highway in 6" of the white stuff and BANG! the hood flips up and smashes the windshield all over my lap..

Etc, etc, etc...
Old 04-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #45
Senator350

Oh...

and when installing my new high output alternator, wiring it to my optima yellow top... and NEVER disconnecting the negative cable... EVER

My open end slips off the pos lug on the alternator and welds itself between the lug and my new stainless headers... while throwing a beautiful shower of sparks and causing me to get shocked so hard I jerked my arm back and caused a golf ball sized bruise on the back of my arm by smashing it into the fender

600 amps, burning a hole through the headers with a wrench... Nice way to start the bluing process on the headers, aye?

Last edited by Senator350; 04-07-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Senator350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:31 PM   #46
greystoke

i put in a new motor and spent a lot of time chasing down why it wouldn't fire only to find out an end didn't get plugged into the distributor...oops.

Of course the suckiest thing I've ever done was marrying the wrong woman
greystoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #47
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

1. Wrecked my first car....wasn't my fault.
2. Sold the second one to buy a worn-out '57 Chevy....4-dr.....6/stick. Made no sense in the afterthought department.
3. Sold my '60 TR-3 a week before I went on active duty in '67.
4. Married my first wife....twice....don't go there.....

Crap, this just doesn't end, does it???? As old as this thread is, we still seem to be able to add to the mix.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited by ChevLoRay; 04-07-2009 at 01:49 PM.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:39 PM   #48
LEEVON

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Chevy guy View Post
Ive probably seen as many stupid thing as Ive done,or is it the other way around? One time when we were still almost kids me and a bunch of friends were swimming at the local swimming pond.My friends older brother had an old dodge dart about a 71,a rear piece you know the kind. It had blocks of wood 2x4s and such jammed in the trunk holding the rear springs down where them were tearing tru the trunk floor.The stering column was all ripped apart and there was no key and you had to start it with a screwdriver.Since the column was all broken the gear selecter didnt lock in positions to well either.We were all swimming around when we heard the distinct sound a dodge starter makes.Everone looked and the car started turning over by itself then started and somehow the shaking when it started dilodged the shifter and it went in drive and started driving itself down the old boat ramp into the pond.They didnt want anyone to use that ramp anymore so there was a big rock in the water at the end.The dart drove in until it smashed into that rock.Funny as hell we all rolled on the ground except the guy whose car it was.I think it was trying to comit suicide.
I literally laughed until I cried on this one.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #49
Indyuke

1. I got an old buick skylark for a few hundred bucks with a bad miss. I tore the top of the engine apart to fix the miss but I had forgotten to check what cylinder was bad first, so I just ended up lapping all the valves something fierce and put it back together. I took a long time adjusting the valves... the motor heated up nicely... oil got all over the exhaust manifolds and WOOMPH! the engine caught on fire. I was outside and had no water, it was either snuff it with an oily rag or throw sand on it. I used the oily rag, which then caught on fire... I threw that into the sand and kicked it till it went out. Interestingly the engine fire went out soon after that. Put it back together, closed the hood and drove it for a year. Didn't even clean up the engine compartment or open the hood again, not even to change the oil.

2. This is just a random story. Had a 72 f100, and every week something would fall of it while driving down the freeway. Big things. I could hear them tear away and and sometimes actually see them bounce clangingly off the side of the road. I was 17 and at first I would get worried, stop and check, but I could never find where the pieces were coming from. Everything seemed in place, even underneath. And the truck ran great... everything worked. To this day I still can't figure out where all those pieces came from. Several dozen lbs must have fallen off that truck in all the time I drove it. I thought every part on a vehicle was necessary.
Indyuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #50
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

thought id hang my door correctly cause it was catching up...

so i thought id adjust it, and shut it and 2 mo. later still cant open the danged thing lol

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote