The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #26
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Re: Mexican made Crate Motors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
The reason they are made in Mexico is the strick polution laws in the States. Its cost prohibitive to build a foundry here.
I have used & sold hundreds of Goodwrench engines through the years & have never had a problem with them.
I agree its neat to build one up yourself but if you bore it & turn the crank you can't do it for what a basic Goodwrench costs.

I can have all the machine work done (bore/hone, install cam bearings/freeze plugs, turn the crank, and have a valve job done for around $600. You can buy a Northern engine kit for $180 have build a engine comparable to the basic crate engines for around $800 - $850. You can step up, and buy a Summit engine kit with hypereutectic pistons, Fel Pro gaskets, brass freeze plugs, high volume oil pump, etc. for $250, and get the cam I want and everything else for around a $1000 total, and have a much better engine than the basic GM crate engines. I have built dozens of them, and have made pretty decent money doing them.

The GM crate engines are great drop in option, and there's nothing wrong with them, but since have the tools, mics, gauges and knowledge to build engines, they aren't the best engine I can get for my money.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #27
hounddogs!
Restoring it $200 at a time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNeck View Post
We installed the engine and started the break in procedure. That's when we noticed a major amount of casting sand flowing from the radiator cap area. The block had not been washed and cleaned before final assembly!!!
The more things change....
In 1994-5, I was working at Ford's Claycomo (KCMo) plant as they were starting up production on the Contour/Mystique. There were rumors of problems with the Mexican blocks, I think on the Ecotech 2L motors. I spent a solid week putting 50 miles each on cars. The powers that be figured that if the motor didn't lock up in that distance, things were fine and the car could go on the trailer. I was never stranded, but stayed the hell away from those cars ever after.

'68 5.3L-4 speed LWB C20; grandpa bought it for the farm in '71. Now LS 5.3, rather than 327.

DD '09 Pilot

Weekender '65 Skylark 300-4V-4 speed

Wife's '07 Lexus ES350; 117 actuator motors and I can't see the engine.

Son's '04 F250 SuperCab 6.0
hounddogs! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #28
sleepertruck72

I am extremely happy with my Made in Mexico GM Crate engine It has held up real good, and loves burnouts

I guess its a gamble some people are not willing to take because its "made in Mexico" Personally I dont care because GM warranties it for whatever amount of time 12 months, 24 months I dont remember. You can probably get similar deals through a local engine builder as mentioned. I went with a crate because I ordered through the local GMC dealer and had it the next day ready to go.... Anyhow Good luck
Old 07-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #29
Wrenchbender Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_C-30 View Post
I can have all the machine work done (bore/hone, install cam bearings/freeze plugs, turn the crank, and have a valve job done for around $600. You can buy a Northern engine kit for $180 have build a engine comparable to the basic crate engines for around $800 - $850. You can step up, and buy a Summit engine kit with hypereutectic pistons, Fel Pro gaskets, brass freeze plugs, high volume oil pump, etc. for $250, and get the cam I want and everything else for around a $1000 total, and have a much better engine than the basic GM crate engines. I have built dozens of them, and have made pretty decent money doing them.

The GM crate engines are great drop in option, and there's nothing wrong with them, but since have the tools, mics, gauges and knowledge to build engines, they aren't the best engine I can get for my money.
The last time I did a simple ring valve job I wound up with $750 in it. If we could get those prices around here I would build my own also.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:53 PM   #30
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
The last time I did a simple ring valve job I wound up with $750 in it. If we could get those prices around here I would build my own also.
WOW! That's crazy! About a month and a half ago I had a 327 block bored .030", honed, cam bearings and freeze plugs installed for $260. They charge$120 to turn a crank and he gets $150 for a valve job w/ seals, unless it needs guides, valves, etc. I have been using the same place for nearly 20 years and they do great. I worked as a machinist (not a motor machinist) for over and I check everything after I get it home, and nothing has ever been wrong. The only mistake I've ever had them make was they pushed one of the alignment dowel pins down flush with the deck of the block, and I had to drill and tap it and use a snatch hammer to get it out. I mentioned the next time I took him a block and he tried to knock some money off doing the next one and i told him not to worry about it. It was a simple mistake, and no big deal.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #31
special-K
Special Order

I had a guy around the corner (who has an excellent reputation) rebuild my large journal 327 for $1,300. That's full machining,10:1 flat top pistons,he swapped the truck heads for 64cc,milled,ported,& rebuilt them,roller rockers,hardened push rods,lumpy cam/lifters,oil pump,ARP bolts,air gap intake...a ready to go 325hp motor ready to go.
I've known about Goodwrench engines being built in Mexico for a long time. I never knew about any GMPPs. That said,I have never heard any complaints about Goodwrench replacement engines other than they are made in Mexico. They are cheap,available,and reliable...what most people want.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:44 PM   #32
FLDBRED

I think the GM crate engines have a great reputation and that should be what is most important...but it does bother me that they are built in Mexico,I am just being honest.I thought they were all built in Mexico,if the GMPP aren't then that would be great!
FLDBRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #33
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLDBRED View Post
My son has been looking for a new crate motor,GM has some great combo's for a fair price.The fact that they are made in Mexico kinda bothers us,after all the reason we love these old trucks and muscle cars is because they are a part of America. Should we let this stop us from buying one? How do you guys feel about this?
I Dropped $5600.000 on a ZZ383/425 GM Crate Motor in 2004.
I had zero problems and LOVED that motor!
Attached Images

back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:05 AM   #34
69heavychevy

If your that concerned about it being made in mexico then why dont you rebuild an old core sourced from a junkyard. Like its been said before the experience will be invaluable, you might even save some money and you'll have your peace of mind...for what its worth my friend installed a mexican crate engine in his truck and so far he's gotten 2 years of trouble free service...
69heavychevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #35
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Add 383HT to the list of meximotors.

Is the zz383 made here or south?

P.S. There is another option we should research---this is GM powertrain's industrial and marine engines. Where are they made?

Last edited by C-10 simplex; 07-11-2011 at 10:41 AM.
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #36
rcrahn

If you are concerned about going with a motor built in Mexico and want something from the USA why not look into a remanufactured motor? This company in WA does them and offers a 70,000 mile/7 year warranty. Price also seems very reasonable. IMHO this is worth considering.

http://rebuiltautoengines.com/
rcrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #37
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

i'm not at all against remanufactured or even rebuilt engines---i'm just worried about the reputation of companies.

i've heard Jasper is/was great. But now i'm also hearing there are problems with them.

A company could warranty their engines for 10yrs/100,000 miles. The real question is will they honor it with no hassles? Just like this new hyundai/or is it kia's new 10yr/100,000 warranty. i don't think this will fly given the quality level of these cars so i think it's just a marketing ploy; Most people probably won't keep the car that long anyways.

i'll research more about S+S.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #38
propanemudtruck
Local Redneck Authority

Quote:

Comparable prices here. I've built 4-5 engines in the last 10-12 years and have been very satisfied in the outcomes. I've done a couple water cooled vw engines and a few small blocks, so I guess my count is low but I always suggest local machinework and a mic. job to check for accuracy! I was a machinist for a while too, so all the tools are in the box. Northern Auto is a great kit and they have a pretty sweet cam kit from Elgin that I've used.

If often considered the crate engines for ease and time savings but don't have any real experience with those.

Good luck with your decision!

four on the floor feel the beat in your soul
movin to the rhythym pumpin til ya cant take no more
dance if you want to do what you came to
you cant ignore the feeling of that four on the floor
propanemudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:25 PM   #39
67chevyc10719

Angry Re: Mexican made Crate Motors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewarme View Post
A/C delco parts are now made in china. I bought a new a/c delco headlight switch just to say i replaced it. The original was still working! Turned on the headlights 6 times and it broke! Literally fell apart! My new CPP tilt column ...... All the knobs asre cracked in less than 1 year! CHINA IS JUNK
that explain why acdelco stuff has been F&*kin up on my... DAM CHINA!
67chevyc10719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:25 PM   #40
67chevyc10719

Angry Re: Mexican made Crate Motors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewarme View Post
A/C delco parts are now made in china. I bought a new a/c delco headlight switch just to say i replaced it. The original was still working! Turned on the headlights 6 times and it broke! Literally fell apart! My new CPP tilt column ...... All the knobs asre cracked in less than 1 year! CHINA IS JUNK
that explain why acdelco stuff has been F&*kin up on mE... DAM CHINA!
67chevyc10719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #41
jayman68
Fun Stuff

If you go to rebuild a crate engine from mexico, that is when you have problems. A friend of mine worked at a machine shop for a long time and he noticed that when the blocks were bored alot of pitting opened up. the castings are low quality. when the engines are new they seem to work fine.

68 C10(project)
88 Honda Accord(DD)
93 Chevy Astro EXT 2wd
jayman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #42
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Quote:

i agree, i haven't used a crate motor ever because of the price me and dad have built several sbc. All under a grand easy. All still running we have a great local machine shop with a 2nd and 3rd generation "sons" running it.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:37 PM   #43
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

is the 502 a henco de mexico motor ? does anyone know the specs on these 502 crate motors ,i purchase the truck with the motor already built ,from what the person knew about the motor the PO owned a autoshop and had this motor installed and added the blower
Attached Images

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:59 PM   #44
Ackattack

Just an FYI, LS1 and LS6 blocks (and I assume the newer gen IV engines) were made in mexico.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:19 AM   #45
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevyc10719 View Post
that explain why acdelco stuff has been F&*kin up on my... DAM CHINA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevyc10719 View Post
that explain why acdelco stuff has been F&*kin up on mE... DAM CHINA!
You can say that again

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:22 AM   #46
eagleuh1

Darn, you beat me to it Ackattack. I have made in Mexico stickers on mine and the wiring harness. No problems with it.
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:15 PM   #47
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

UPDATE:

1) Unfortunately:

Industrial vortec 5.7 (350) is built in toluca, mex.

The industrial vortec 4.3 (262 v-6) is, however, built in romulus, michigan

Marine 3.0 (the old nova 4 cyl), 305, 350 all built in toluca mex.

However, Marine 4.3 built in romulus, mi

Marine LS L96 romulus

Marine LS3 St. catharines, ontario

Marine LSA supercharged=== silao, mex (?)

Links:
http://www.gmpowertrain.com/MarineEn...Portfolio.aspx

2. Chinese= the ultimate rednecks? They've out rednecked the rednecks at cutting corners and doing things the wrong way.

Remember the tainted milk scandal? The people responsible were executed i believe? This is a little harsh, but could the same principles be applied to car parts? After all it may be safety related. Just something to think about and to possibly bring to the proper authorities.
i think other products besides milk were exported to the u.s. that were defective (actually that's being redundant isn't it?) which resulted in the excecution of the persons responsible?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Chinese_milk_scandal

Last edited by C-10 simplex; 07-13-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #48
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLDBRED View Post
A lot of honest responses! I wish GM would get it, I hate having to defend Chevy and GM all the time when people say that their stuff is made in Mexico and toyotas are made in the US. Let's face it,the reason a lot of us love Chevy is because of the American connection,and GM themselves are doing just the opposite.With me Chevy Runs Deep!
Don't blame GM, blame the UAW. The profit margin on most parts made in the US is too low due to the high labor rates. So, the factories were moved from the Midwest to Mexico and we trade a competitive price for crap that doesn't meet the quality standards we are accustomed to.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #49
'72customdeluxe

My 350/260 doesn't smoke at starup, so the valve seals should be fine. Pcv and intake gaskets are fine aswell. It seems to burn alot of oil, exhaust smells like it too. I'm not sure $1400 for an 8:1 compression weezer was a good idea. You can get a goodwrench (factory style) vortec 350 for a little more. More aggresive factory roller cam, one piece rear seal, better heads and compression. You'll need an electric fuel pump and a new flexplate, but it would be worth it. A 5.3 trumps all of these options for a mild motor though. So much more stock power