The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2012, 10:17 PM   #26
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: new one for the herd.. a CUCV story

Heres some more pics.. they show some of the hillbilly parts i got and the nose as it sat when i got the truck
Attached Images

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #27
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i was able to score a bumper and grille guard too today for a few bucks so today i decided to pull off the old hood and the front bumper/ grille guard and replace those
im waiting for the inner fender wells i ordered from LMC to arrive to change those the right one is destroyed due to rust so that is next and when the card comes in i will do the glow plugs and card and ill go from there
i painted the yellow fender in army green today
I also discovered that the right side tie rod end on the front of the axel is all bent so i ordered a new set of those. Tomorrow they should be at the parts house so after i get the generator ready for the impedning storm (Sandy) Ill probably throw those on if they come in..
Attached Images

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
Old 10-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #28
Car'n'Guitars

Looking good man, and good luck during the storm.
1987 Chevrolet K10 Silverado
"The Beast" build 1987 Silverado http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6150257
Car'n'Guitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #29
86c20

that navy fender is the same color as my diesel. i wonder if mine was a navy truck now. i know it was a fleet order.

rusty do you plan on doing any kind of under caot? just wondering what you would use
1978 monte carlo 350 350th with 2.73 gears. no rust. sc car
86c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #30
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I have a buddy who owns a body shop so he has an in with a supply house. I get general rubberized undercoat in aresol cans which i coat the inside of the fenders , lower parts of the doors. bottom parts of the wheel wells, and the underside of the body with I would do rustoleum or por 15 on the frame and axels. I used this process on my 82 and its held up nicely

I hate cancer!!
Old 10-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #31
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

So we got the new bumper and brush guard on it and We installed the new front tie rod ends. im awaiting delivery of door seals and inner fenders. Today before the storm hit i ran back down to Hillbilly and picked up the left fender and the cucv core support if i needed new ones and he sold me both front door hinges for each side too so this way i can swap those out too. The left hinges are shot on that truck.
Hopefully i wont have a bad time with Sandy which is suppoused to score a direct hit right down the road from me in Toms River
Ill update and post pics as i can
Attached Images

I hate cancer!!
Old 10-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #32
Car'n'Guitars

Looking good, and good luck.
"The Beast" build 1987 Silverado http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6150257
Old 10-29-2012, 12:25 AM   #33
tucsonjwt

I saw you mentioned a possible tilt bed for the truck. If you mean a dump hoist, then I would think about that for a while.

I had a dump conversion done on my C20 about 10 years ago. There are two companies who supply the kits for the conversion: Pierce Wrecker (what I have) and Venco. The Venco set up looks more sturdy but costs a lot more. My Pierce Wrecker was installed professionally with a bumper modification for about $1900, but it will likely cost more now.

Remember that you would be lifting a sheet metal bed, so you really can't load 2 tons of weight on it without jeopardizing the structural integrity of that bed. I have dual tanks on my truck, so the scissor hoist had to be located farther to the rear than normal (motor and pump are located transverse between the frame rails, rather than outside the passenger frame rail.) So, my truck will only lift about 1 ton, which is about 11" deep of dirt or stone in the bed.

Another option is a dump trailer. A 4 yard trailer is not very long or wide and will handle much more of a load.

If you plan to load the bed with salt to go with your plowing operation, then the dump bed conversion would be the way to go, along with a salt spreader. Several companies make slide in salt spreaders for pickups.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #34
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

the truck would be used more for moving mulch, dirt, and broken concrete as we do alot of work on houses that are in disrepair. The plowing would be very minimal, basically just for doing my property and whatever projects are going on at the time. I also agree that a dump trailer would probably be better for load capacity but we dont really have the storage for such an item
I appreciate the the info on the kits tho Ill be googling those later today

I hate cancer!!
Old 10-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #35
tucsonjwt

Also, I don't know about your neck of the woods, but down here the local city dump charges about $15 for one ton dump or less, then I think it is $40 per ton after that - so I never bring more than one ton to the dump at a time. With general yard waste, house cleanup, etc, you will never exceed one ton loading the truck even above the bed rails.

A slide in dump insert is the quick and easy way to go, but you lose about 800 lbs. of cargo capacity due to the weight of the insert. Google dump insert and you will find EZ dumper, DEL hydraulics, etc.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #36
GM72K10
Next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
Also, I don't know about your neck of the woods, but down here the local city dump charges about $15 for one ton dump or less, then I think it is $40 per ton after that - so I never bring more than one ton to the dump at a time. With general yard waste, house cleanup, etc, you will never exceed one ton loading the truck even above the bed rails.

A slide in dump insert is the quick and easy way to go, but you lose about 800 lbs. of cargo capacity due to the weight of the insert. Google dump insert and you will find EZ dumper, DEL hydraulics, etc.
Wow, around here the minimum per ton is $105 dollars. In september 1.62 tons of roofing waste cost $170.10 plus $19.72 fuel charge EVF per load (whatever that is) fee of $14.00 for a whopping $220.40. Gotta love it.
86 K30 C&C 6.2 4:56s, 4M, 11,000 gvw, ex fire truck, now lowboy dump
More square bodies and CUCVs than I care to admit to
2020 Silverado K3500HD Work truck
GM72K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #37
Skunksmash

the herd lol. We're just a herd of guys with these trucks
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #38
GM-M1008

I was not bidding against you

John (hillbilly) is a great guy. He is where I got the frame cab and box to rebuild my wrecked cucv.

86 K30 M1008 CUCV (wrecked)
87 V10 Reg. cab/ Long bed
GM-M1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #39
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

latest update.. We got the new card from CUCV electric and i got a new relay from Hilbilly wizard got the whole thing together and now the glow plugs work and it starts without assistance..
Our next trick on this truck is to get the inner fenders delivered. We had a small storm blow through here ( Sandy) and UPS shipped my parts to an area with no power so who knows when im gonna get them UPS has no clue.. but still progress is being made

I hate cancer!!
Old 11-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #40
Car'n'Guitars

Good to hear you made it through, what are the things that stick through the grille that are on all CUCV's? Man I want one of these trucks so bad.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #41
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

on the right side of the grille they have a jumper cable kind of thng that they have to jump two trucks the left side is a number thing that they use for something.. on the grille itself and on the bumper are two blackout lights.. you turn these on and they allow you to see just a little directly in front of you. THey have a switch on those trucks that black out the lights and horn and anther that allows these on they are used in battle

I hate cancer!!
Old 11-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #42
Car'n'Guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
on the right side of the grille they have a jumper cable kind of thng that they have to jump two trucks the left side is a number thing that they use for something.. on the grille itself and on the bumper are two blackout lights.. you turn these on and they allow you to see just a little directly in front of you. THey have a switch on those trucks that black out the lights and horn and anther that allows these on they are used in battle
Very interesting thanks for the info.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #43
GM72K10
Next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car'n'Guitars View Post
Good to hear you made it through, what are the things that stick through the grille that are on all CUCV's? Man I want one of these trucks so bad.
That's for a slave cable, when you have more than one cucv they're .handy to have, I've got a 20 footer, and Bob
I knew you could do it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2012, 02:22 AM   #44
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Cool - another CUCV owner. I recently got around to putting the Banks Sidewinder turbo on my M1009, and the difference is night and day on these things. I built a custom 3" exhaust system using a stock Powerstroke tailpipe. It sounds mean with the turbo and new exhaust.

'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:34 AM   #45
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
Yep, the blackout lights are small LED lights in the bumpers that only emitted enough light to see each when in convoy at night. There's also a sheilded driving light that cannot be seen from the air. The front blackout lights are 2 amber bars, and the rear are 4 red bars, white 1 white bar in the center when the brakes are applied. When in black out mode, the normal brake lights, taillights, parking lights, headlights, signals lights, and horn are all disabled so you cannot accidentally turn them on or blow the horn. There is a full blackout mode that no lights will work all at. Pretty cool stuff.
The blackout system is always a cool conversation piece.
Attached Images

'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #46
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Im loving the idea of the banks turbo lol my son and i were just discussing this for this truck but the intent of this truck was more of a work truck than a toy. I dont know what it is with these old chevys.. every time i get one i wanna make it a toy outta it lol

I hate cancer!!
Old 11-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #47
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

well today i had time off so i took off the incredibly rotted right fender and inner wheel well. The batteries were flapping at idle as the whole front of the inner fender had rotted so finally after LMC dlivered I was able to paint up the inner fenders and replace the right side today Ill take some pics as i can tomorrow we do the left and the lower door hinge

I hate cancer!!
Old 11-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #48
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

pics as promised
Attached Images

I hate cancer!!
Old 11-11-2012, 10:42 AM   #49
GM72K10
Next!

Bob, make sure you change the 25042443 CDR VALVE too, looks kind of "used hard"
Old 11-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #50
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

dont mean to sound stupid what is the cdr valve?

I hate cancer!!