The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #26
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Re: Like your Flowmasters?

Mine (which were on the truck when I bought it) are mounted just behind the cab/under the bed and the exhaust dumps straight down in front of t the rear axle.
For the most part they're not too bad. But on a long highway run (like to & from Lost Wages) the drone/rumble, whatever you want to call, it gets to be a bit tedious.
Or maybe I'm just getting to be a bit more crotchety as I get older.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #27
sjarrett71

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jay View Post
Mine (which were on the truck when I bought it) are mounted just behind the cab/under the bed and the exhaust dumps straight down in front of t the rear axle.
For the most part they're not too bad. But on a long highway run (like to & from Lost Wages) the drone/rumble, whatever you want to call, it gets to be a bit tedious.
Or maybe I'm just getting to be a bit more crotchety as I get older.
I'm getting older too and don't want the constant loudness. I do want it when I want it though. It sounds like I should mount them further back in the system. My truck currently has SHORT glass packs on it and they are LOUD!! They do sound pretty good while cruising highway speeds though. I'm hoping the Flowmasters will actually quiet it down a bit.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:36 PM   #28
Rdrdave
Broke and still trying

Mine are in the bed area right after the cab. A bit of a rumble buzz but love them especially when I get on it. No insulation in the cab so that might help. 2 chambers.
Rdrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:16 AM   #29
JesseH13
AMBITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjarrett71 View Post
So if they are mounted directly to the headers I can expect them to be loud no matter if I run the tailpipes out the rear?
all depends on your pipe size and where you want the pipe to end like mine is loud bkuz i am running 2 1/2 pipe with turn down before the axel
but running it to the rear will leave it with a good tone 2 1/4 would sound good

CROOKED68 (PROJECT)
JesseH13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:22 AM   #30
Chevy350V8
Semper Fi!!!

I got mine maybe a foot after my cat. Then it just hooks down from the flowmaster. Pm me if you want some pics!

"IT ONLY TAKES EVERYTHING YOU GOT!!"

Semper Fi
Chevy350V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #31
96blazr

Quote:
So if they are mounted directly to the headers I can expect them to be loud no matter if I run the tailpipes out the rear?
Quote:
What I was talking about with the tailpipe out the rear is a full length tailpipe. Would that make a difference in loudness?
Quote:
Sure, opinions are what I wanted. I've heard Flowmasters I liked like the ones I had on my 95 Dodge 4x4 with a 360. I've also heard the tin can sound on other vehicles. I guess what I needed to know, in your guys opinion, is should I cut the collector flanges off the muffler and mount them further back or would it really make any difference in the sound. From what I'm hearing, I should mount them further back to reduce the noise in the cab.
Yes, it will be loud even if you carry the tailpipes out the rear. They're still under your feet and the cab.

It might make a difference in how it's heard out back, but from in the cab, without adding sound-deadener, it will still be...annoying.

YES, cut the flanges off and move the mufflers back under the bed. Will it make a difference on the Sound? Not really, but always remember; the longer the pipe the lower the tone.

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:41 AM   #32
TobyArnot
Quit if it's not FUN!!!

I vote for DYNOMAX (Walker) Super Hemi Turbo's . Had Flowmasters on a previous project , and they were just flat too loud for my "gettin old" taste. 40 years ago, I couldn't imagine me ever saying that!.
Went to the Walkers from Advance Auto price match and loved the nice deep sound, but not offensive at all.

My $0.02 worth

I'm thinking really quiet stocker types for my truck. This time, I want to be able to hear the stereo at speed.

Last edited by TobyArnot; 10-03-2010 at 10:44 AM.
TobyArnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:50 AM   #33
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Reckon this post has almost as many suggestions/opinions as it has had replies. Weird thing....I'm kinda old school and bought the Flowmasters to satisfiy my craving for what I thought was "the right thing". Looking back, I've run glass packs that were the really old-school kind; turbo's and baby turbo's; a GN Turbo muffler on my '81 El Camino; chambered tube mufflers and also a flowmaster wannabe (on my V6 GMC). Baby turbos made me buy some chrome resonator tips to make it liveable. My flowmasters don't/didn't have the tinny sound that some people have referred to. The baby turbos behind a 229 V6 in my El Camino were so loud that it hurt to drive on the highway. Same mufflers behind the OHC-6 in my '67 Firebird Sprint, were just fine.

I think that the new exhaust system on my '69, when it is ready for exhaust pipes, is going to involve an X-pipe, a pair of Cherry Bombs and extending the tailpipes out the back, turning down and just barely visible under the back bumper.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #34
sjarrett71

Thanks for all the replies guys. I've also been thinking about a stock type muffler, especially now that my only sourse of tunes is the original Am radio. Maybe I could get the Flowmasters and sell them to help fund my new exhaust.