The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #26
davepl

Re: New trans, not happy, need useful advice

No way they dyno'd or tested it, because you can't connect the electrical connector the way the receiver is melted.

I talked to the trans builder. They said three things:

a) Customer satisfaction is their highest priority
b) They want me to be happy
c) No way it was in a fire. Probably connector melted when someone tried to heat bolt with a torch (?). Will send me a replacement plastic insert.

He also says that GM transmission castings look like that unless they're sanded out. I'd sand it out but I'm a little spooked about a Class D fire!

The funny thing is I wanted to do this deal by email but they only work by phone (over eBay... you can do the math on why). He tried to blame this on communication issues, but I cut him off because even though I didn't like it, I picked up the phone and called them like 10 times to sort out details. I guess I should have specified "Not ugly and burnt" in one of those calls. He even said had I asked they would have cleaned up the case for $50. Geeze, that's 2% of the cost, do it anyway!

Like I said initially, it either works right or doesn't. Long story short I'm going to put this abomination in my truck and hope for the best. Lesson learned. Do absofrickinglutely EVERYTHING yourself and trust no one unless you know them personally.

Last edited by davepl; 03-16-2016 at 01:37 PM.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:22 PM   #27
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
No way they dyno'd or tested it, because you can't connect the electrical connector the way the receiver is melted.

I talked to the trans builder. They said three things:

a) Customer satisfaction is their highest priority
b) They want me to be happy
c) No way it was in a fire. Probably connector melted when someone tried to heat bolt with a torch (?). Will send me a replacement plastic insert.

He also says that GM transmission castings look like that unless they're sanded out. I'd sand it out but I'm a little spooked about a Class D fire!

The funny thing is I wanted to do this deal by email but they only work by phone (over eBay... you can do the math on why). He tried to blame this on communication issues, but I cut him off because even though I didn't like it, I picked up the phone and called them like 10 times to sort out details. I guess I should have specified "Not ugly and burnt" in one of those calls. He even said had I asked they would have cleaned up the case for $50. Geeze, that's 2% of the cost, do it anyway!

Like I said initially, it either works right or doesn't. Long story short I'm going to put this abomination in my truck and hope for the best. Lesson learned. Do absofrickinglutely EVERYTHING yourself and trust no one unless you know them personally.
No dyno part sucks.

As for sanding, use some 50 grit by hand. It will knock that stuff right off.. I wouldnt use any type of grinder.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:41 PM   #28
rcazwillis

I have a used 4l80e on the shop floor. Came out of a 300k mile van. Looks nothing like that picture! That case has been abused by something.

I sand aluminum all the time. Biggest threat is inhalation of the dust. Wear a good filtration mask. The threat of creating a thermite type reaction is minimal.
rcazwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:54 PM   #29
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcazwillis View Post
I have a used 4l80e on the shop floor. Came out of a 300k mile van. Looks nothing like that picture! That case has been abused by something.

I sand aluminum all the time. Biggest threat is inhalation of the dust. Wear a good filtration mask. The threat of creating a thermite type reaction is minimal.
Funny i have a van in here with a 4l60 i believe and it looks very similar. I agree on the thermite reaction.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:01 PM   #30
cleszkie

I'm no metallurgist, but if that case was in a fire, couldn't that alter the molecular structure of the aluminum? Could there be a strength loss concern. I have seen guys heat aluminum sheeting with an acetylene torch to make it more malleable before the form it with hammer and dolly. Just a thought. You would hate to have that tranny case crack at the bellhousing.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:54 PM   #31
Mrturner1

A truck as nice as yours deserves to have what you expected when you purchased the trans, but like you stated earlier, the quality of product being sold and the criteria for "rebuilt" is different for everybody. I hate to send stuff back, but this one falls into the category of "send it back" for sure imo.
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:16 PM   #32
bronze 72 super

Another issue is the cost you paid. $2000 to your door? Part of that cost is the core charge, than shipping. Point is they are using very cheap parts, which will not hold up that long. My brother rebuilds transmission's as a side line, and from what he has told me, some of these" on line" rebuilders, and other shops, use imported parts. Cheap metal, poor castings, etc. I have never seen any G.M. trans that looked like that, not one that come out of a Chevy 50 years old!! If this was in a serious fire look out for warpage. Why didn't this rebuild shop replace the connector before selling it? Drop the pan and look for metal shavings on the bottom, check to see that nothing looks out of place.
Being up in the Redmond area, there should be some good rebuilders around Seattle, Tacoma, or even over in the Everett, Lynwood area.
2000 Tahoe Z-71
2004 Monte Carlo S.S. Supercharged Dale Earnhardt Intimidator
1970 Chevelle, Malibu Sport Coupe
2007 Harley-Davidson FLHX Street Glide
bronze 72 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:51 PM   #33
bronze 72 super

Just talked to my brother who lives up by Snohomish, and he had a friend of his go to "Jamie's Transmissions". This guy spent $2500 on a total rebuild, using his transmission, including heavy duty parts, for heavy towing. Trans shifts better and works lots better than stock, this shop use's good heavy duty parts. Point is, don't trust these "online rebuilders". Cheap cost usually isn't cheap. More trouble than it is worth. Go to a good local shop who specialize in heavy duty rebuilds. Stay away from "chain" shops.
2000 Tahoe Z-71
2004 Monte Carlo S.S. Supercharged Dale Earnhardt Intimidator
1970 Chevelle, Malibu Sport Coupe
2007 Harley-Davidson FLHX Street Glide
bronze 72 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:12 PM   #34
BAGGEDLB7

Man if they sent that to you looking like that knowing you could see that stuff I can just imagine what the inside of it that you cant see looks like.
BAGGEDLB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:55 AM   #35
BigMike

I wouldn't worry too much about sanding the trans case. I've done it dozens upon dozens of times with these transmissions as well as the magnesium VW cases I'd sand smooth & paint. The only real threat is if you grind it and then go to weld something afterwards without cleaning up the dust. Even then it's only an issue if its a pile of it or you light up a torch with a cloud of it in the air.

Almost every issue of explosions or where people have been injured or killed are all out of some sort of factory where there is a larger concentration of the stuff. Honestly unless you sand trannys for a living I wouldn't stress too much. Like rcazwillis said, your only real threat is inhaling the stuff.

In the end do what you feel comfortable with.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:55 AM   #36
davepl

I tried sanding my 200-4R case, found it tough sledding. Someone sounded like you could knock this out with 50 grit pretty easy, but does that really work for all the nooks and crannies? Aluminum is soft, but not THAT soft.

Maybe that 200-4R was an iron case? Likely not...
Old 03-17-2016, 12:09 PM   #37
Grumpy old man

Are you seriously considering bolting that trans into your perfect truck ? don't take it the wrong way but your truck deserves a nicer trans ,Will they do an exchange for one with a cleaner case ? I mean you've gone so far why settle now ?

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:02 PM   #38
BigMike

Here is the only picture I could find right now, but an example of what a few hours of hard work could look like. There was still a lot of small imperfections in the casting that was pretty hard to get rid of, but most were small enough to be filled with primer after grinding/sanding them off.

I agree with Grumpy and a couple of others, you've done so much to your truck why settle?

Old 03-17-2016, 05:32 PM   #39
Gromit

Regarding the metal powder fire thing:

For any doubters here is a video - metal powder fires are really quick - less than a second; but any skin that is in the white part of the explosions in the video will likely experience at least a deep second degree burn. Think about it- 4,500 degrees Fahrenheit - how long would it take?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhG2e6mpdEY

Or if leery about clicking on links; you can just search for this title on youtube:

Aluminium Powder Ignites in Slow Motion - Periodic Table of Videos

My electric sander ended up being full of about four times more aluminum dust than they are burning in the video - Once it finally dawned on me I ended up wet-sanding my case and felt that was quite a bit safer. I try to stay out of the hospital emergency rooms - they are really expensive these days for one thing and I'd rather spend the money on truck parts and tools.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:07 PM   #40
BigMike

No doubt here, I've seen it on the news & read about it before. But again, it was always small to large businesses that work around the stuff daily with dusk & buildup everywhere. I have been doing it since my first one at 16 and have never had an issue, I'm 52 now. I learned from my Dad who did the same thing on all of his projects, and all our gearhead friends do it as well.

I think it's best to just work smart when it comes to working around ANY flammable material. On the same hand I don't think there needs to be a panic where people are scared to death to do it.

Lets just leave it at that and get back to the issue of his transmission problem.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:09 PM   #41
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I'd contact them for certain, tell them your concerns and ask for images for some others they're offering. If you want to make a good gesture, AFTER you've seen one you like, offer to pay to ship the new one only, or maybe half that. Check out Mikes tranny......PRETTY!
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 03-17-2016 at 11:15 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:29 PM   #42
davepl

I decided that I'm just going to repaint it, change out the connector (which they're sending to me) and hope for the best. I have my concerns that the inside will reflect the outside, but ultimately what matters is it works properly and lives a long life. I don't have the confidence in it that I would if I saw a ton of attention to detail on the case.

After talking to the shop, I don't think I'm going to sand it out. It's not like a connecting rod where it'll prevent cracks, and you can't see the top of the trans once installed. I'll know its there and I'll know what it looks like, but hopefully that'll be forgotten when it works.

Now the question is should I bother to add the name of the vendor? I don't think I've been inflammatory, and I let them read this thread. The only reason I would is for other people that are considering using the same shop, which is all over eBay and Amazon.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:15 PM   #43
cleszkie

Quote:
Now the question is should I bother to add the name of the vendor? I don't think I've been inflammatory, and I let them read this thread. The only reason I would is for other people that are considering using the same shop, which is all over eBay and Amazon.
That is up to you. So far they seem to be on the up and up. Yeah the core was hideous to look at, but it might be a real runner. However, if that tranny craps the bed, then you definitely post the name.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:31 PM   #44
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

There's no way I'd accept that transmission the way it looks. They sweet talked you into submission on the phone hoping you'd just quietly go away. I want to know the name of this hack-job business, and who cares what they think?
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:05 PM   #45
davepl

I think I'll wait until the end of the summer and then post it. At that point I'll have the context of how it worked (or didn't!). That'll tell a more complete story.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:57 PM   #46
DBK81

Quote:
I think I'll wait until the end of the summer and then post it. At that point I'll have the context of how it worked (or didn't!). That'll tell a more complete story.

I think that's a fair move, be sure to post back to this thread. Best of luck, hope the internals are top quality.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:31 AM   #47
Tim Christian

Dave, I don't mean this bad toward you in anyway what so ever but I have been burnt so many times on Flea-Bay I would not buy a box of Crayons from there I learned my lesson a long time ago. I will pay a little extra and get things local. That way if I have issues I can at least look the guy straight in the eyes and his actions will tell the true story.
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:16 PM   #48
davepl

Hey I know the risks of dealing online, but like I said, if the truck MOVES with this trans its doing better than the local guy. Well, if it moves more than 48 miles that is. Remember I started local.

Best trans I ever had was from FB Performance in NY, and I'm in Seattle! Didn't need a race trans though.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:37 PM   #49
wahl4m

i would at least post a notice to "e- bay" about this transaction and what has been done ! also if you used a credit card,find out how long you have to file a complaint ! {also tell them the situation?} might help you out down the road ! and dont settle for a slight settlement on this transaction! you must be satisfied ! it was you hard earned money spent !! GOOD LUCK
wahl4m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 03:36 PM   #50
JW72ChevyTruck

I replaced my auto trans with a 700R4, purchased from eBay. Installed trans, it leaked all of the fluid. Contacted seller, seller claimed that I installed it incorrectly. So, I had to pull the trans and fixed the leak.

Warning about eBay !!!!! eBay requires that you contact seller, which you have done. eBay will only warranty or protect buyer for 30 days from date of purchase, after 30 days you are on your own. Suggest you file a resolution, if your time has not run out, you can always cancel the resolution.

Read the sellers fine print under return policy, most state buyer to pay for return shipping, some charge a restocking fee of 25%.

To return the trans may coast you $200 - $275, you have to board it up and take it to a commercial trucking dock.

The seller that I purchased my trans from, is no longer on eBay.

Hope this helps. JW
JW72ChevyTruck is offline   Reply With Quote