The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #26
solidaxel

Re: What is the best IFS kit for a 55 2nd series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meter swinger View Post
I recently had a conversation about putting IFS on my truck with a local builder. Him and his son stared doing MII's years ago and evolved in doing kits. He claims to have installed 120 set ups. Anyway i asked what "kit" he thought was the best out of the ones he installed. His response was "heidts is the prettiest, but no limit is the best in every other way".
FWIW. i plan on going that route, ill just have to sell off a truck or two to pay for it.
Posted via Mobile Device

...................... Did you ask him which "kit" was the best for his "business" ?
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #27
blindman

Cool Re: What is the best IFS kit for a 55 2nd series?

[QUOTE=Dan in Pasadena;5026782]You sayin there's something wrong with us Californians? Well ARE 'YA punk? naaa you guys are a bunch of hippie surfers lol.. jk what i was gettin at if you were going to buy a product like this i always thought id buy close to home so i could haul it straight there and handlee situation .. but since there in ca thats a long haul to kick a mans ass if something went wrong lol but no limit is top notch i guess im the east coast PR man for them lol
blindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #28
candyx

[quote=blindman;5027151]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
You sayin there's something wrong with us Californians? Well ARE 'YA punk? naaa you guys are a bunch of hippie surfers lol.. jk what i was gettin at if you were going to buy a product like this i always thought id buy close to home so i could haul it straight there and handlee situation .. but since there in ca thats a long haul to kick a mans ass if something went wrong lol but no limit is top notch i guess im the east coast PR man for them lol
I thought everyone here was from the east coast..............
candyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:05 AM   #29
robnolimit

Ha, thanks Blindman for the great testamonial. So, I did surf for 20= yrs, and I do have long hair,(never cared much for folk rock, and if you listened to my I-pod it would scare you) guess I fit the stereotype somewhat. lol. As for rubber bushings, It's been done, but's it's mostly a cost issue. rubber makes good sense at appx 25000 parts. Next is the assembly issue, rubber bushings would have a press in steel shell, higher labor cost. While I understand and believe the 'harsh ride with urathane' argument, it's more of a design/materials issue. If I made a rubber bushing out of the hardest rubber, and only .065" thick it would ride like crap too. Urathanecomes in all shapes, sizes and 'durometer' ratings. (hardness) So, if a certain product has a harsh ride, it's a desing problem, don't blame the urathane.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:27 AM   #30
Scottshotrods

We have some great deals going on our ifs kits now and if you like some info you can p/m or e-mail us at
justin@scottshotrods.com
scotts@scottshotrods.com
sales@scottshotrods.com
www.scottshotrods.com
Scottshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #31
wutnxt

Location: vancouver b.c....is the biggest place most people would know but I am actually out in the valley 45 mins away

Awesome thread ....

I wish i would have found it sooner....like before i asked the same question....thanks for all the input this makes it easier to narrow down my options
1966 SBFS street HULK http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post5886625

Poject Low and go gets a 6.2 ltr LSA supercharged with 6 speed automatic

Aluinum Radiator Dealer pm for details
wutnxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #32
made2drag

ttt
made2drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #33
mr48chev

Right now, if I wasn't planning on spending the money for one of the better rated kits I think I'd be taking a serious look at the Jag XJ6 crossmember swap threads.

One thing to remember on most subframe, frame stub or oem crossmember swaps is that there isn't usually a free lunch with them as you quite often end up rebuilding the whole unit with new bushings, ball joints and rod ends. On some you also end up replacing damaged or missing parts.

While our resident suspension builders/vendors build some of the best setups on the market those setups are beyond the budget of many of our members. The forum encompasses a wide expanse of income levels and an equally wide level of truck build budgets. While a $3000 front end might not seem that expensive to some, that same 3k is a large portion of the build budget for some of the others and may be more than one or even two years budget for the build.

While it might not be everyone's cup of tea a quality aftermarket MII crossmeber running factory MII pieces might fit within many budgets and then they can upgrade to tube A arms later if the budget allows. While some scoff at the stock Ford pieces a search though the parts books will soon tell you that things like the upper ball joints are the same ball joint that Lincoln MKIV runs and most other bigger Fords for a number of years.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #34
made2drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Right now, if I wasn't planning on spending the money for one of the better rated kits I think I'd be taking a serious look at the Jag XJ6 crossmember swap threads.

One thing to remember on most subframe, frame stub or oem crossmember swaps is that there isn't usually a free lunch with them as you quite often end up rebuilding the whole unit with new bushings, ball joints and rod ends. On some you also end up replacing damaged or missing parts.

While our resident suspension builders/vendors build some of the best setups on the market those setups are beyond the budget of many of our members. The forum encompasses a wide expanse of income levels and an equally wide level of truck build budgets. While a $3000 front end might not seem that expensive to some, that same 3k is a large portion of the build budget for some of the others and may be more than one or even two years budget for the build.

While it might not be everyone's cup of tea a quality aftermarket MII crossmeber running factory MII pieces might fit within many budgets and then they can upgrade to tube A arms later if the budget allows. While some scoff at the stock Ford pieces a search though the parts books will soon tell you that things like the upper ball joints are the same ball joint that Lincoln MKIV runs and most other bigger Fords for a number of years.

good points
made2drag is offline   Reply With Quote