The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2017, 10:47 PM   #26
andyh1956

Re: Gathering info for a restoration

Greetings from Thomastown Ms!
Hey don't sell that seat short- it looks like it has great foam! That seat's repairable! I know where a bed is in Vancleave if you need it.
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:04 AM   #27
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You should upgrade the radiator to the correct V8 radiator that sits on top of the frame and closer to the radiator support. Personally I would run the 700R4 from the Suburban. It will lower your rpm's and make the truck more enjoyable to drive. And I agree on the front suspension upgrade with power discs and power steering. I have the brackets for the brakes and steering.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:28 PM   #28
65 c10 project

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrfoot View Post
Cool info on it.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack B View Post
It's worth mentioning that the front crossmember off the suburban (if it's a 2 wheel drive 1/2 ton) will be a bolt in for your truck giving you disk brakes if that's something you are interested in. The steering box can also be adapted if that interests you.

Good luck on your project!
Good to know! it is a 2wd 1/2 ton
I would enjoy disk brakes and power steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh1956 View Post
Greetings from Thomastown Ms!
Hey don't sell that seat short- it looks like it has great foam! That seat's repairable! I know where a bed is in Vancleave if you need it.
Howdy!
Do you happen to have contact information or a price for the bed? I think i can repair the current but but options are always good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
You should upgrade the radiator to the correct V8 radiator that sits on top of the frame and closer to the radiator support. Personally I would run the 700R4 from the Suburban. It will lower your rpm's and make the truck more enjoyable to drive. And I agree on the front suspension upgrade with power discs and power steering. I have the brackets for the brakes and steering.
I'll look into the radiator, thanks.
Do you happen to know if there is a difference between the 230/250 3 on the tree and V8 3 on the tree or are they the same trans? According to LMC there are both 10" and 11" clutches available.

I'll probably get the brackets from you within a few months.
65 c10 project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:24 PM   #29
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I have no idea about the 3 speed. I have never owned one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 c10 project View Post
I'll look into the radiator, thanks.
Do you happen to know if there is a difference between the 230/250 3 on the tree and V8 3 on the tree or are they the same trans? According to LMC there are both 10" and 11" clutches available.

I'll probably get the brackets from you within a few months.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:43 PM   #30
65 c10 project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I have no idea about the 3 speed. I have never owned one.
Ok, thank you.

I think i'm gonna roll with the auto, I can give the engine/trans combo to my dad to use in his '51 chevy as he would like to stay close to original.
65 c10 project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:16 PM   #31
MikeN

The I6 and V8 3-speed manual transmissions are the same, except possibly in 66 when I believe the larger, fully synchronized 3-speed became available.

I also believe that the 10.4" clutch is standard in all 60-66 C10 applications. You can use the 11" clutch as well, PROVIDED that your flywheel is drilled for both the smaller and the larger bolt patterns. No way to know without taking it apart and looking at it.

I have a 350 in my 64 C10 with 3-speed, and the smaller 10.4" clutch is fine.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:23 PM   #32
MikeN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 c10 project View Post
I've been doing some reading and it appears as though the 350 uses the same towers as the 230/250, and the 3 on the tree will bolt up to the 350. Not sure if the I-6 radiator will work.
Yes, I upgraded my 64 C10 from I6 to 350. The engine stands, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, and starter all move straight over from the I6 to the V8. You need to go to NAPA or somewhere similar and ask for 283 V8 motor mounts for your year model of truck.

As CaptFab suggested, you will definitely need the V8 radiator and a good fan, preferably a factory clutch fan set-up.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote