The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
dads longhorn

9.5Rx16.5 tires...the price of authenticity

The tires on my truck are cracking splitting even though the tread is still like new. Tires are older than 10 years, but had very few miles put on them. Wildcat Radial LT 9.5x16.5 aggressive tread is on there now. Time for new tires before long. Price for BFG or Goodyear are near $200 ea. I have the original rims on there, 8 lug with hubcaps, C20, 3/4 ton, taken out 2x monthly for 30 miles each time, so not daily driver. Doubt Ill ever make it carry camper again or maybe pull an RV. Maybe a dirt road or two but no serious off roading.

I can buy new alloy wheels and 16 inch tires all day long for under$1000. But they're not what would have been on the truck to begin with. Original recommended size is 9.5x16.5. And the original hubcaps won't fit the new 16" alloy wheels.

Questions... Are the rims "split steel"? What's that mean? Are they safe? (They have been for 42 years)
Do I need load rating d, e?
Brands I'm considering are good yr workhorse or BFG all terrain, not Firestone or cooper. Any input on these? I will make sure of the mfg date per advice on this forum, thanks.

I guess I'm really asking the value of original or authentic sizes of wheels tires. Cheaper to go 16 inch but not authentic. Dad did a great job of taking care of this truck and I don't want to go modifying it. Originals are more rare and to me, a great part of the value of the truck. I'm leaning to keeping 16.5's and just suck up the extra cost.

Any input is welcome, thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
dads longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote