The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2011, 10:04 AM   #26
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Re: IHC resurection

Ive always thought the old IHC trucks had a look only a parent could love =) But I have seen quite a few lately that are really cool. Like the finished one yukon did above. Here are a couple of links I have saved on this computer you might find interesting.

http://www.oldihc.org/

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...=international

I would probably pick up an old IH (or a Stude, I like those too) but I have way too many projects now Ill never ever get to.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #27
pugs

well finally got my 83 GMC up and running this week and started messing with the IH. as i had mentioned before about the #1 cylinder valves stuck open and worried about the piston being messed up. well good news the piston is fine, no marks on it or rust in the cylinder. so now i need to pick up another head and gaskets for it and slap it back together. will also need to find a rad to mount to my stock support, gauges, driveshaft and a couple other odds and ends and maybe be able to move it around in my driveway in the next week or so. going to try to hook up the trans linkage to the stock 3spd column or build a crazy tall floor shifter.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:46 PM   #28
pugs

well i got to tinker in the IH this afternoon. im looking to keep the str8 axel front suspension but of course it needs to be lowered. so today i pulled the spring packs out and apart to flip the main spring. now i did put alittle heat to the spring which isnt the safest way to go but i did it this way to get my stance and will have to have a new main redone. anyway a few pics, will get better ones tomorrow during the day.

before

Name:  Photo0410[1].jpg
Views: 448
Size:  42.4 KB

after with different wheels

Name:  Picture 054.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  26.7 KB

Name:  Picture 057.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  34.4 KB

Name:  Picture 059.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  35.4 KB
Old 06-12-2011, 10:17 PM   #29
pugs

nothing to spectacular to report. i did pull the vlaves out the head and got it cleaned up. need to clean up the valves, rockers and such and get it back together.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:20 PM   #30
pugs

.... and most likely since i know the engine does run i will most likely pull it back out and get it all the gaskets replaced and everything painted.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:15 PM   #31
pugs

heres a few pics of the ih how it sits now.

Name:  Photo0644[1].JPG
Views: 418
Size:  106.1 KB

Name:  Photo0645[1].jpg
Views: 416
Size:  27.1 KB

and a shot if the cylinder head, half way there

Name:  Photo0641[1].jpg
Views: 418
Size:  44.9 KB
Old 06-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #32
pugs

went to pull the park lites out of the grill and they werent held in by much as of all the rust and bondo, more on the passenger side. so after grinding out the bondo and what little metal was there the best thing i could do is cut it out to good metal and just remove the park lite area all together. is does mean i need to reshape the headlite area some to make it look better. now im thinking what to do about the parklite, one thing is to maybe just revamp the fender mount turn signals(which im keeping either way) to dual bulbs or maybe use some like on my 83 gmc and mount them behind the grill in the upper outside corners above the grill bars. hope to have my gaskets here tomorrow so i can get the engine back together and fired up.

Name:  Photo0649[1].jpg
Views: 400
Size:  30.6 KB

Name:  Photo0647[1].jpg
Views: 399
Size:  22.1 KB

Name:  Photo0650[1].jpg
Views: 401
Size:  19.8 KB
Old 06-28-2011, 10:30 PM   #33
pugs

more done the past few days. went to the yard on sunday and picked up a radiator from a dodge truck, another exhaust manifold, and a nice pr of fender mount signals. for the most part i have the engine together. even tho i had to try 3 different carbs cuz the other ones flooded out and messed up the paint alittle, i did fire it up today. i still have one lifter not pushing oil up to the rocker. i had the this 55-59 chevy front bumper laying around and put up against the truck and i kind of like but not possitive yet. next thing i need to do is pull the tank out and ck to see what shape it is in. ok now, a few new pics

Name:  Photo0652[1].jpg
Views: 384
Size:  31.2 KB

Name:  Photo0653[1].jpg
Views: 386
Size:  33.1 KB

Name:  Photo0655[1].jpg
Views: 388
Size:  33.6 KB
Old 07-04-2011, 10:32 PM   #34
pugs

well got more done on the truck. 1st i did was clean up the inside and bed, which isnt as bad as i had thought it was. there are a few very small holes onthe cab floor which will just be covered up with a patch panel of thin metal for now as it will be totally torn down this winter after driving and working out the bugs. to my suprise i removed the tank to find it had a couple of gallon of old gas in it but was clean otherwise and very little rust. so i washed it out and cleaned up the outside of it and give it coat of primer and paint and started running new fuel lines. still need to do a driveshaft, rear rubber brake line, bleed the lines, shift linkage, trans lines/cooler hooked up, lites and a few other small things. still planning on being able to drive it by the end of the month.

Name:  Photo0658[1].jpg
Views: 367
Size:  50.1 KB

Name:  Photo0660[1].jpg
Views: 366
Size:  39.8 KB

Name:  Photo0663[1].jpg
Views: 361
Size:  34.5 KB
Old 07-10-2011, 07:28 AM   #35
pugs

hit the boneyard yesterday looking for seatting arangements (found nothing i like). looked in a jag of unknown year and seen the floor shifter. its has the cable setup like a chevy. its nice and flat on the bottom, nothing pretruding below the floor. anyway im thinking hell i just found a long str8 shift handle and thought hell why not try it. as a result of drilling 3 holes in the longer handle its perfet. now with in bolted in to the trans with just one bolt as of now till i make a front bracket. well peaking under the floor i see that the hand brake set is right there so im heading out the yard agin this morning to look for a hand brake stick out a bigger truck and will bolt it in aside of the shifter. in the one pic you can the difference with the length of the handles

Name:  shifter 3.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  30.8 KB

Name:  shifter 2.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  32.7 KB
Old 07-10-2011, 11:19 PM   #36
pugs

did a 3 hour tour of the yard this morning and picked up a few things. snagged another carb, a seat out of a dakota,pr of stock IHC seat adjusters, and i few other trinkets. i did manage to get the seat basically bolted down in place. after removing the stock dakota adjusters i set the seat on the IH ones and it was a tad to low yet. i happen to have a few bed supports laying around from past parts and project trucks, it worked out great and brought the seat up to my liking. the shifter is alitle close to the seat if i bring it all the way back into 1st gear, so im thinking i can move the shifter platform forward an inch or so. mite make up a new shifter itself, something alittle taller.

Name:  Photo0691[1].jpg
Views: 340
Size:  25.2 KB

Name:  Photo0694[1].jpg
Views: 341
Size:  26.0 KB
Old 07-12-2011, 09:54 PM   #37
pugs

got the shifter mounted in. made a bracket to go around the trans and tied in with a 3/8ths bolt on each side of the trans to keep it tight. it somewhat mounts like a locar shifter does. im still debating on mounting the handbrake aside of the shifter.

Name:  Photo_5E533002-E565-7D1A-C01D-99FB29A648AA[1].jpg
Views: 332
Size:  45.8 KB

Name:  Photo_2FF08003-7AB8-3C8F-EF11-5F220F78487D[1].jpg
Views: 335
Size:  62.7 KB
Old 07-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #38
pugs

well figured id post a few pics before i head out on vacation tomorrow morning. i had made up a new shifter cuz the other hit the seat and would go down into low gear. also picked up the shifter cover from a jag.

Name:  new shifrter.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  43.5 KB

Name:  ns 2.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  48.4 KB

Name:  shifter 5.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  30.5 KB

did pick up a set of gauges out of a chevy van and worked them into the original housings,and have them all hooked up and working.

Name:  Photo0698[1].jpg
Views: 320
Size:  47.1 KB

also got some of the wiring under the hood al cleaned up and covered
Old 08-16-2011, 11:13 PM   #39
pugs

time for alitle update. got my garage cleaned up abit so i could get the truck inside to work on it. i did get the bed off before i pushed it in. then once inside i pulled the front suspension off and decided to go with a jag clip. i came up with a design for a bolt on bracket clip, its for the front mounts of the jag c-member, will get pics as i start top build it.

Name:  Photo0754[1].jpg
Views: 290
Size:  31.7 KB

Name:  Photo0756[1].jpg
Views: 287
Size:  34.0 KB

Name:  Photo0760[1].jpg
Views: 284
Size:  29.3 KB
Old 08-30-2011, 10:34 PM   #40
pugs

well its been awhile since i updated this. i wasnt feeling the jag clip. i went back to the str8 axle instead. i have the axle back in with new bushings. i also changed out the steering with a manual box off a mid 70's IH dump truck which i used a jag steering joint right off the box and ended up going to a van tilt. i had to cut up a couple of pitman arms to build one. i hooked the box up to the steering arm using a adjustable drag link from an early 50's chevy car. still need to make a couple of adjustments to the system, but it together and actually turns easier then it did with the stock column/box. also snagged up another hood and a tailgate, which will need work to the bottom of it but its better then not having one at all.

Name:  Photo0786[1].jpg
Views: 256
Size:  35.2 KB

Name:  Photo0788[1].JPG
Views: 254
Size:  104.4 KB

Name:  Photo0789[1].jpg
Views: 254
Size:  52.2 KB
Old 10-16-2011, 10:13 PM   #41
pugs

alittle update not alot has been going on with the truck having to work for someone else for a living. was just not happy with the way the truck was sitting (height wise), and did want to have ifs for a nicer ride. i did some measuring on my buddy 71 and my 83 GMC, getting a few numbers to go off of i decided to go with a 67-72 chassis. i searched the local yard and found a few but fairly ugly with rust. so i was trolling CL this past week and came across an add for 70 parts and low and behold a rolling chassis among the list of parts. called the guy yesterday and he still had it. he sent me a few phone pics and it looked and was sitting inside since he started to part it out. so when i called him back lastnite to say id take it, i asked him about the engine that was sitting in the frame and he told me its a 307 and for an extra 50 i could take it along. so i get down there check it out better and loaded it up.
so heres a few pics from this afternoon, as i unloaded it off the trailer and sat the IH cab on it.
(and dont worry there was no injury or damage to the engine when the mounts let loose and it slid back some)

Name:  Photo0837[1].jpg
Views: 236
Size:  28.0 KB

Name:  Photo0838[1].jpg
Views: 236
Size:  26.9 KB

Name:  Photo0840[1].jpg
Views: 239
Size:  44.3 KB

Name:  Photo0841[1].jpg
Views: 235
Size:  34.7 KB
Old 10-16-2011, 10:36 PM   #42
pugs

now i know all will be thinking that its not going to be much of a difference in the stance at this point. as of now the chassis is 1.5-2" lower then the stock one, but i also dont have the trans, interior and front clip, bed, etc on it yet. once i tweak the mounts alittle the cab will sit 1.5" lower on the frame and then a 2-3" front and rear spring change it will be even lower with the running boards about 4-5" off the ground. im up in the air about shortening the frame, will have to see once i get things mounted correctly with the bed sitting on it and maybe ill go with the V8.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #43
pugs

i managed to get the cab and front sitting on the frame after timming down the inners. once i square the cab up on the frame i can make 2 brackets for the front cab mounts. then get the inline 6 m/t in and get the front clip bolted up properly so i can build a front frame horn section and brackets to mount the rad suport and front clip. once i have it sll together im looking at going with 2" drop springs for the front. here are a few pics of this afternoons work

Name:  Photo0842[1].jpg
Views: 292
Size:  27.3 KB

Name:  Photo0843[1].JPG
Views: 286
Size:  104.1 KB

Name:  Photo0844[1].jpg
Views: 295
Size:  26.0 KB

Name:  Photo0846[1].jpg
Views: 288
Size:  50.5 KB
Old 10-18-2011, 09:13 PM   #44
JHT67

There is so much cool stuff going on around here, and with a few clicks you'll see the possibilities are endless. I love how guys get ahold of something, have a vision and start making something happen. My poor truck has been sitting for nearly 2yrs, yard, garage, driveway and there abouts, with so many different ideas, and visions of the direction I want to go with it, and it'll probably be gone before I ever touch the thing.

Long story short, cool truck, looks like your having fun with it. Keep us posted.
Going through life's daily grind, I can feel the effects of this physical body's fleeting days, But with a young spirit I look toward a brighter day, knowing that in the eyes of eternity, I am but a babe in the arms of my Lord.........
JHT67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #45
jmlcolorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
i managed to get the cab and front sitting on the frame after timming down the inners. once i square the cab up on the frame i can make 2 brackets for the front cab mounts. then get the inline 6 m/t in and get the front clip bolted up properly so i can build a front frame horn section and brackets to mount the rad suport and front clip. once i have it sll together im looking at going with 2" drop springs for the front. here are a few pics of this afternoons work

Attachment 816155

Attachment 816156

Attachment 816157

Attachment 816158
Lookin good man!!!
You got the easy part done, now to get that bed sittin on there and lining up the rear axle to the fenders. I know mine was easy cause I did the bed first, then pulled the cab back to match.. Then again, im runnin fenderles up front.

It's amazing how well these cabs fit these frames huh?! Almost made for em
Posted via Mobile Device
jmlcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:29 PM   #46
pugs

once the cab and front clip are sitting properly and bolted down i wil do the bed. wont be to big of a problem with the rear as im going to switch to leaves and will be able to teak it to where i need it. i did do a quick measurement today and as of now it will be very close and match up fine
Old 10-20-2011, 10:03 PM   #47
pugs

the progress from this afternoon, made up the front cab mounts today out 8" section of 2x4 tubing. and got them bolted to the cab. they are tight against the frame. not sure if i should weld to the frame or bolt them up

driverside mount
Name:  Photo0847[1].jpg
Views: 278
Size:  33.2 KB

bolted to the mount itself, not bolted or welded to the frame yet
Name:  Photo0850[1].jpg
Views: 276
Size:  34.4 KB

rear cab mount (stock IH mount)
Name:  Photo0852[1].jpg
Views: 273
Size:  25.0 KB
Old 10-21-2011, 09:06 AM   #48
jmlcolorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
the progress from this afternoon, made up the front cab mounts today out 8" section of 2x4 tubing. and got them bolted to the cab. they are tight against the frame. not sure if i should weld to the frame or bolt them up

driverside mount
Attachment 817117

bolted to the mount itself, not bolted or welded to the frame yet
Attachment 817118

rear cab mount (stock IH mount)
Attachment 817119
Bolt em then weld em.
Posted via Mobile Device
jmlcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #49
pugs

saturday i tore the front clip apart, removed the bell mount crossmember, and started cleaning up the frame/crossmember area and clamped in 2) 2x3 rails for the new frame horns with temp cross supports (these will get trimmed and cut later).
today i ran to the yard to get a pr of 6 clyinder motor mount towers . came back gave the same area of the frame alittle paint before i set the m/t in.

Name:  Photo0854[1].JPG
Views: 191
Size:  108.4 KB

Name:  Photo0859[1].jpg
Views: 192
Size:  45.7 KB

now i got the mount to sit on the towers but ran into a problem, motor sits up to high and the trans is hitting aginst the trans tunnel/floor. so started thinking i need to rework the towers so the motor will sit alittle lower.
for the hell of it i slid the front section of the drivershaftin place, now i have the yoke butted up against the end of the trans and its 2" to far back.

Name:  Photo0862[1].jpg
Views: 198
Size:  34.9 KB

so now i need to move the m/t forward a few inches. so looking at i think i can use the V8 towers bolted to where they would be for a V8.
heres one more shot with the fenders and grill bolted up and hood sitting on with the the new frame horns sticking out

Name:  Photo0857[1].jpg
Views: 193
Size:  45.0 KB
Old 10-24-2011, 05:26 PM   #50
Sven

Sweet as candy, mate! Looking forward to the progress ...