The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2010, 12:06 AM   #26
powerdriver 1958
Kid's Mechanic

Re: Would it be wise to....

Just my opinion but trying to repeat the factory process of heating and removing the stub then reinstalling would be hard to pull off..........would the stub be the right size , Is the stub install a one time thing? Couldn't be very far off on size,Few thousands is a big difference.

I don't see any way to pull that off without some sort of doubt

Quote:
Personally I would just buy another set and go on with it
lota wisdom in that quote

Last edited by powerdriver 1958; 10-24-2010 at 01:55 AM.
powerdriver 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:52 AM   #27
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Years ago i had a 79 Oldsmobile delta 88 and on a highway trip my outer bearing musta seized and the shaft cracked and split. I was on the NY State thruway. Luckilly i was able to limp off as it happened on the exit ramp, but the lesson learned is the heat that that must have been to weaken the metal had to be reallt alot. Id not trust anything thats heen heated to that temperature so id agree with the posters who said you should just change out the spindle

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:31 PM   #28
SCOTI

Heating the spindle hub to the point of failure is one thing; that pic looks more like 'curb-check' type damage.

I was also under the impression that the spindle casing could be heated & the spindle shaft pressed out. The reason I asked specifically about the year model was the probability of the spindle hub/shaft being the same (if the spindles are for 73-87 w/HD brakes, you could grab an OE 73-87 HD brake spindle, take it to a machine shop, & try swapping the two).

That being said, I'm not sure if the cost & effort associated to accomplish the task is worth it vs. just getting another set of drop spindles. Talk to whomever you bought them from & try getting your money back.... it's worth a shot.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 10-24-2010 at 02:32 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #29
yellowGT

I finally took the bent shaft out but I did it by beating on it. When I take the stock one out I would have to press it out as I dont want to mess up the threading on it or even bend it too. After that, press it back in.

Who has a press that could do it around here SCOTI?

'84 swb chevy
'69 swb chevy
'68 swb chevy
'95 Impala ss-sold
'89 chevy crew cab dually 3+3
yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:44 PM   #30
SCOTI

Maybe a local parts store that does automotive machine work? I have a press @ work but wouldn't have anything to seat the spindle square for accurately pressing the pin out.

Might need to build a 'jig' to get it done.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote