The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2012, 01:06 AM   #26
INSIDIOUS '86

Re: Anybody running lower then 12s QM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevybuilder18 View Post
really? lol forged internals to handle the turbo, forged pistons and rotating assembly run up into like $3000+ and then the special turbo for your app will probably be brand new i believe, another $1500, special line hone on the main caps, $250 for line hone, aluminum block, dont forget the iron sleeves youl have to have for the block to withstand the boost some where in the ball park of another grand. new fuel injection system to handle boost, thats gonna cost a lil especially when you count the new boosted camshaft, MSDs ignition boxs for the LSX coil packs, (needed even if carbed)...
People asking 6-8g for a used ls7. A ls3 block with a rebuild a cam intake headers and hair dryers will pull 600hp easy lol

Car craft changed a cam and a big turbo and cranked that thing just about stock to 1200hp
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #27
Hertzdaddy

Quote:
that sounds good. i like the old big block caddys. anyone got a 500 cube in there pick up? those things are wicked, flat torque line across the table. even with 8.5:1 these 500 cubic inch caddys are pretty torquey. gonna grab me one, one day
514" Caddy in a 73 Jimmy. Dyno'd at 497hp/565tq but had a very leaky valve seal and an intake leak at the time. All better now. No track time yet though. Need some gears, a posi and some sticky tires.

Oh, and a rollbar too.
Hertzdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:24 PM   #28
Metalshapes

Quote:
sounds like Insidious is a very skeptical customer have you seen the big block 72 farm truck running 10 seconds and still a daily driver?
Hate to break it to you guys but that '70 chevrolet "farm truck" sports a 502 base engine with serious upgrades and as of the last time I saw it, a huge twin stage plate system. I've heard that he has since upgraded to a 400+ hp fogger. It has a fully built 9" with a spool and a reverse manual valvebody. As far as the chassis it is relatively stock, just look at the way it leaves, kind of sloppy. If it had extensive chassis work done it would leave a helluva lot straighter. That man, although he has a cage under that camper shell, is completely INSANE. That truck has a 1/4 turn of play in the factory steering box. In no way shape or form is that truck remotely close to being a daily driver, it drinks race fuel and the only thing it ever gets used for is the occasional cruise night or messing with some kids on the street. It is a track truck and it gets trailered there. Oh by the way if you ever see him in person do not let him trick you into listening for a noise right under the drivers cab area, there is a 150 psi real train horn mounted right underneath the cab and he will air it out for anyone dumb enough to fall for it, I've seen him do that to alot of people.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:41 PM   #29
INSIDIOUS '86

I don't doubt it. I'm sure with a good chassis setup slicks and a well built 505hp engine getting to 11s is possible but making that street able is going to be hard
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-29-2012, 12:41 AM   #30
chevybuilder18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hertzdaddy View Post
514" Caddy in a 73 Jimmy. Dyno'd at 497hp/565tq but had a very leaky valve seal and an intake leak at the time. All better now. No track time yet though. Need some gears, a posi and some sticky tires.

Oh, and a rollbar too.
dang were talking now. how good does she handle the street?
chevybuilder18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:51 AM   #31
chevybuilder18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalshapes View Post
Hate to break it to you guys but that '70 chevrolet "farm truck" sports a 502 base engine with serious upgrades and as of the last time I saw it, a huge twin stage plate system. I've heard that he has since upgraded to a 400+ hp fogger. It has a fully built 9" with a spool and a reverse manual valvebody. As far as the chassis it is relatively stock, just look at the way it leaves, kind of sloppy. If it had extensive chassis work done it would leave a helluva lot straighter. That man, although he has a cage under that camper shell, is completely INSANE. That truck has a 1/4 turn of play in the factory steering box. In no way shape or form is that truck remotely close to being a daily driver, it drinks race fuel and the only thing it ever gets used for is the occasional cruise night or messing with some kids on the street. It is a track truck and it gets trailered there. Oh by the way if you ever see him in person do not let him trick you into listening for a noise right under the drivers cab area, there is a 150 psi real train horn mounted right underneath the cab and he will air it out for anyone dumb enough to fall for it, I've seen him do that to alot of people.
He sounds like an a$$ but any way here he ishttp://youtu.be/LH9tA46Fj1Y
i like the plymouth btw
Old 11-29-2012, 01:01 AM   #32
chevybuilder18

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 View Post
People asking 6-8g for a used ls7. A ls3 block with a rebuild a cam intake headers and hair dryers will pull 600hp easy lol

Car craft changed a cam and a big turbo and cranked that thing just about stock to 1200hp
Posted via Mobile Device
dang 6000 aint bad! that must be the kicker. just like a brand spanking new crate motor big block. im not gonna spoil your fun, lets see the turbo charged 6.0 liter LS3 is a 6.0 right? im very much against boosting cause it makes me angry to think we really need to add so much money to an engine to make it do what we want american engines should have been alot more advanced by the 80s. just for once i wanna see a sbc running on the street, with good gas milege, naturally aspirated good amount of power, good throttle, and reliabilty. and can push a 4000 pound vehicle to low 11s or lower
Old 11-29-2012, 01:11 AM   #33
INSIDIOUS '86

Boosting doesnt cost much at all. It's the only way to make high hp and get good mpg at the same time
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-29-2012, 01:20 AM   #34
Metalshapes

Quote:
He sounds like an a$$ but any way here he ishttp://youtu.be/LH9tA46Fj1Y
i like the plymouth btw
don't have to check you tube, I have met the man and he lives within a 5 mile radius of me and you sir have him pegged, he is every bit of what you say.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:28 AM   #35
Pyrotechnic

Quote:
im very much against boosting cause it makes me angry to think we really need to add so much money to an engine to make it do what we want
Speed costs money, how fast do you wanna go?
Old 11-29-2012, 01:35 AM   #36
chevybuilder18

Quote:
Boosting doesnt cost much at all. It's the only way to make high hp and get good mpg at the same time
Posted via Mobile Device
i have to agree there is no denying it..... but i guess for back yard hot rodders, ill never boost an engine except a briggs and stratton 8 horse with a smog pump. not that im against it all the way, hate to admit it, but i my self cannot see myself affording a nice turbo.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:39 AM   #37
chevybuilder18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
i wanna go fast, 150 mph, N/A streetable Quarter Mile. i want the best of both worlds. yet i cant afford it! but if i keep my head up and find some sort of way, new discovery, ill let you guys know.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:42 AM   #38
chevybuilder18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalshapes View Post
don't have to check you tube, I have met the man and he lives within a 5 mile radius of me and you sir have him pegged, he is every bit of what you say.
Yea all them skulls on the intake are nitro foggers.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:23 AM   #39
chevybuilder18

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
Im really re thinking the older small blocks are the way to go. Im thinking LSX hardcore right now
Old 11-29-2012, 02:45 AM   #40
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Dig thru some older hot rods.
Built a 383 with 200cc heads a fairly mild hyd roller cam dual plane air gap and a 750 or 850 dp holley.
Made right at 500 hp and tq.

I copied it except for a 400sb and its a riot to drive. Has ran 12:20s at 110 mph. And stone reliable did 25 passes in one day at private track rental
Posted via Mobile Device

Found it.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...e/viewall.html
Old 11-29-2012, 02:54 AM   #41
Metalshapes

I have been 7.2 in a quarter with an alcohol injected 14-71 littlefield blower on a 496 in a car that the only thing stock on was the roof, also been 11.1 in a 79 shorty and that took just a tick over 625 hp to do and I wouldn't have driven that one daily. It all comes down to this: You can have cheap, You can have fast, and you can have reliable, but you can only have 2.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:02 AM   #42
chevybuilder18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQQL IT View Post
Dig thru some older hot rods.
Built a 383 with 200cc heads a fairly mild hyd roller cam dual plane air gap and a 750 or 850 dp holley.
Made right at 500 hp and tq.

I copied it except for a 400sb and its a riot to drive. Has ran 12:20s at 110 mph. And stone reliable did 25 passes in one day at private track rental
Posted via Mobile Device

Found it.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...e/viewall.html
Thats what i was planning with my 400, except the heads intake ports are 225 ccs and there vortecs. im not for sure as to the intake runner size because the chevrolet heads website says 206cc intake ports for 371c castings...
Old 11-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #43
Pyrotechnic

Quote:
i wanna go fast, 150 mph, N/A streetable Quarter Mile. i want the best of both worlds. yet i cant afford it! but if i keep my head up and find some sort of way, new discovery, ill let you guys know.
If you wanna do this on the cheap, you're working with the wrong vehicle. Our trucks are over 4000 pounds and have the aerodynamics of a brick. If you want fast on the cheap, you need something 3000 pounds or less with decent aero. Think Vega, Monza, Pinto, early RX7, 240SX, even a fox body Mustang.

Given the same motor, a 1000 pound weight reduction is good for about 1 second in the 1/4. This easily gets your 11 second goal.

Our trucks are more expensive to make fast because the weight and aero must be overcome and that takes horsepower and money. There's no way around it, unless you can somehow bend the laws of physics. GM, Ford, Dodge, and other truck makes still face this problem today, but more in the sense of fuel economy.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #44
Hertzdaddy

Quote:
dang were talking now. how good does she handle the street?
The cam I'm using is very low vac at idle and I have a single plane intake, so I had to make some concessions. I switched over to hydroboost brakes and swapped out the 800cfm Eddy ThunderAVS carb for a Holley 850DP with the choke removed. Once she's warmed up she runs fine on the street. I still need to tune the Holley some more (its too lean now.) Once that is done and the gears are in I expect it will be fine for weekend cruises and stoplight bashes. The converter is a 10 inch with 2800 stall that flashes to 3500 behind this motor, so that hurts mileage a little. I'm not ready to call it a daily driver primarily because of the choke delete and sub 10mpg mileage but I can take the family out for a spirited ice cream run in it whenever I want.

I could have probably gotten nearly the same performance from a less radical cam, dual plane intake, vac secondary carb and tighter converter to make it more streetable but I'm kinda old school and wanted a (semi) nasty lope for the weekend cruises. Plus I'm gonna get it out to the track one of these days.
Hertzdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #45
chevybuilder18

Quote:
The cam I'm using is very low vac at idle and I have a single plane intake, so I had to make some concessions. I switched over to hydroboost brakes and swapped out the 800cfm Eddy ThunderAVS carb for a Holley 850DP with the choke removed. Once she's warmed up she runs fine on the street. I still need to tune the Holley some more (its too lean now.) Once that is done and the gears are in I expect it will be fine for weekend cruises and stoplight bashes. The converter is a 10 inch with 2800 stall that flashes to 3500 behind this motor, so that hurts mileage a little. I'm not ready to call it a daily driver primarily because of the choke delete and sub 10mpg mileage but I can take the family out for a spirited ice cream run in it whenever I want.

I could have probably gotten nearly the same performance from a less radical cam, dual plane intake, vac secondary carb and tighter converter to make it more streetable but I'm kinda old school and wanted a (semi) nasty lope for the weekend cruises. Plus I'm gonna get it out to the track one of these days.
your right, also check out comps flat tappet XE274, and run 8.5:1, another guy did this and had a lil less high end, but he could do a 2000 stall, 2.73 posi rear gears, and still make some pretty decent passes, in our trucks it would hardly phase it. he is currently running a dual plane, and a 850 vac secondary with 30 inch wheels. has a 50/50 shot of nitrous though
Old 11-30-2012, 01:50 AM   #46
softballnrd27
Always a work in progress

Quote:
really? lol forged internals to handle the turbo, forged pistons and rotating assembly run up into like $3000+ and then the special turbo for your app will probably be brand new i believe, another $1500, special line hone on the main caps, $250 for line hone, aluminum block, dont forget the iron sleeves youl have to have for the block to withstand the boost some where in the ball park of another grand. new fuel injection system to handle boost, thats gonna cost a lil especially when you count the new boosted camshaft, MSDs ignition boxs for the LSX coil packs, (needed even if carbed)...
Stock 2005 5.3, GT45 ebay turbo and about 10 psi will get you in the 11s and be daily driveable. Tons of combos that have proven it can be done. The 5.3 and 4.8 motors can take alot of abuse. This combo can be put together for under $3k.
Any turbo will work as long as it sized properly to the motor. Why do you need a line hone and they make iron block LS based engines. A stock LS6 cam is great for boost. Dual Walbro 255s in a stock tank will supply plenty of fuel and you can run the stock TB, intake, and fuel rails with 60-80lb injectors.
73 SWB 5.3/4l80e
Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=695168
softballnrd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:02 AM   #47
chevybuilder18

Quote:
Originally Posted by softballnrd27 View Post
Stock 2005 5.3, GT45 ebay turbo and about 10 psi will get you in the 11s and be daily driveable. Tons of combos that have proven it can be done. The 5.3 and 4.8 motors can take alot of abuse. This combo can be put together for under $3k.
Any turbo will work as long as it sized properly to the motor. Why do you need a line hone and they make iron block LS based engines. A stock LS6 cam is great for boost. Dual Walbro 255s in a stock tank will supply plenty of fuel and you can run the stock TB, intake, and fuel rails with 60-80lb injectors.
dang.. your right. but would it push our 4000 pounders that fast? im just curious, not being a smarta$$ has any one got there square to do 11s with these combos? are you refering to our trucks? and i get what you mean by sizing the turbos, if you had a smaller tube run from the exhaust into the turbo would this make exhaust gasses make the turbo spin faster at idle?
Old 11-30-2012, 02:16 AM   #48
INSIDIOUS '86

Quote:

Psh who needs a choke lol. You should try an annular carb as long as your intake isn't heated with exhaust it's worth checking into. The annular boosters work better in cold air since they mix the fuel better anyways.

I'm converting to hydroboost on mine and some good heads and get a real cam lol

I think with a lockup converter streetabliity becomes way easier since you can run a 3000 stall and an overdrive trans and drive around a more radical engine topped with today's heads and roller cam tech and carburator a have advanced dramatically yesterday's radical 400hp small block is today's Daily driver. And a 500hp daily just takes some time and a good combo

Turbos are a great way to make a small engine like say even a 305 destroy a built 572bbc and run down the street getting 25+mpg

The theory for displacement is bigger engine = easier power a mild built 454 shows 450 hp almost stock. And built more can have 500hp with an exhaust not of a Vespa still
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-30-2012, 02:20 AM   #49
INSIDIOUS '86

Quote:
dang.. your right. but would it push our 4000 pounders that fast? im just curious, not being a smarta$$ has any one got there square to do 11s with these combos? are you refering to our trucks? and i get what you mean by sizing the turbos, if you had a smaller tube run from the exhaust into the turbo would this make exhaust gasses make the turbo spin faster at idle?
Look up twin scroll turbos and 4-2-1 turbo headers.
Or look up the wrenchrat.

Here's food for thought. Atmospheric pressure is about 14.7psi I belive
An engine at 15psi of boost usually doubles hp
And 1/2lb fuel=1hp/hr
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-30-2012, 02:21 AM   #50
softballnrd27
Always a work in progress

I am not sure but with the HP #s that everyone is throwing out there that combo should get you in the HP range required to run under 12 secs. Keep in mind that you still have to get the power to the ground.
I am going to build that exact combo I listed above but it won't be done until I return from Okinawa(my next duty station).
I wouldn't trust any 700r4 or 4l60e behind any motor with some power.
4l80e is the way to go.
73 SWB 5.3/4l80e
Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=695168
softballnrd27 is offline   Reply With Quote