The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2012, 12:17 AM   #26
faribran

Re: New to welding time to start shopping

don't waste time or money on flux core.. go with gas
Old 08-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #27
_Ogre

:d

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #28
bulldog2513

i bought a 135a welder from northern tools (their brand, it looks like a lincoln painted yellow) for like 369.00 it is flux core or gas and is 115v. i use flux cored wire and i have welded everything from lightweight sheet metal to frame material with mine and have had NO problems. all the welding on my build thread has been done with this one. check it out. i recommend it to anyone. doing frames it will get a lil hot, if u stay at it for extended periods of time, and cut off. let it cool down a few minutes and get back at it. it has an internal fan to assist with cooling. with auto darkening helmet, mig pliers, gloves, wire brush, chipping hammer and a few other things i spent a lil bit over 500. its worth researching. here is the link............ http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2691_200332691 read all the reviews. i think you will be VERY happy with this welder. i LOVE mine. also, this is the first welder i ever bought. i have no plans on upgrading. its perfect for home/shop use.
1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LT, 4 door grocery getter (Mama's Ride)
bulldog2513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #29
Mr-Jack
Beer Drink'n Knuckle Dragger

Welder, and 2 hoods...one auto dimming and one with a gold lense for welding for long periods of time. the gold lense will make your welding experience easy on the eyes. easy to see the puddle move. a set of gloves isn't a bad investment either. I normally just weld with a ball cap on backwards.

Also...on the safety side...a buddy of mine told me once that a piece of slag popped off while welding and went in his ear canal and damaged his ear drum...so now i wear ear plugs too LOL.

I've welded in shorts, flip flops and wife beaters with torch goggles, but wouldn't recommend it. Unless you are thick skinned like me. if you are welding around a gas tank, a welding blanket would be a good investment...but it's up to you.

I love the snap-on muscle migs...but they are pricey!
Mr-Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #30
cableguy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Jack View Post
Also...on the safety side...a buddy of mine told me once that a piece of slag popped off while welding and went in his ear canal and damaged his ear drum...so now i wear ear plugs too LOL.
A buddy of mine had the same thing happen. Hes actually deaf in that ear. You cant protect against everything. When welding while laying on the ground under something I generally get a bit nervous because it seems the slag and sparks end up everywhere you dont want it.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:56 AM   #31
mongoose

ive had that happen as well but not with slag just some sparks... man does it ever wake you up...

not to often you see a fat guy move at the speed of light... and for a welder to throw his 400 buck helmet to the ground lol
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:39 AM   #32
VA72C10
VA72C10

Good thread....only thing I'll add was touched on before...I now have three HF grinders...9.99 each so for under 30 I don't have to change from cutting wheel to wire wheel to flap disc. Might get another one or two soon for my other paint stripper disc and sandpaper options....

A few reasons for the multiple grinders

1) ease of use- switching them is a pain (finding the tool, holding the wire wheel, etc)
2) time savings not having to switch
3) less extended run-time on the grinder so they seem to last longer (I've had one of the 9.99 harbor freight one for 3 years with ZERO issues....
4) less chance of ruining the tool (had a buddy ruin his $90 dewalt grinder trying to tighten down a new wire wheel...about the third time he'd changed accessories on it that day...the button you hold down to stop the grinder from turning stripped out.)

At $10/pop it's worth it on many levels
Old 08-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #33
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

If that welder you bought is the one I think it is, you will not be happy or making good welds with it.

I am a professional welder so this kind of is my department. You need a good machine to make good welds, I am not saying you need to go out and throw down 3500.00 for a machine like I have with digital gauges and all that jazz, but you need to have a machine that is up to the job.

THIS IS PARAMOUNT WHEN YOU ARE LEARNING!!!

I am going to strongly recommend you take a look at the Millermatic 180 You can find them for about 875 from Cyberweld. They are a good machine, and IMHO they are the smallest machine you will want to buy as a hobbyist. It will weld up to 1/4" thick material reliably.

Yes it is a healthy investment on the front end, but it is a machine you can keep for the rest of your life. It will also produce a mighty fine welding bead, and when you are learning having a good machine is very important because getting the body movements required to weld down are going to be hard enough with out trying to fight a machine that does not run right.

For doing body work you will want .025 wire. You will have to get the right feed rollers for this as well.

When you get a bottle, get a good sized bottle, don't skimp, there is nothing more frustrating than getting shut down on a saturday afternoon because you ran out of gas.

As well for gas, I recommend 75/25 it is 75% Argon 25% CO2, It works great and it is less likely to bubble on you if you are outdoors or have a fan going in the shop than with straight CO2 It also gives you much better control of the weld puddle.

Before you start cutting and hacking on your truck, get an old hood or fender from someone and practice welding on it, practice cutting it into strips and welding those strips back together. It would be much better to make your mistakes and learn on that than it will be to mess up your truck.

Good luck and if you have any welding related questions feel free to drop me a line.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #34
Gobbles

The Miller 211 does not dissappoint and has more power then I expect to ever need, one welder for life!

"You already said spite"
Gobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #35
Mr. 250r

I never had a problem with the mig welding sparks when i was in fab but when i went to pipe welding i can't recall how many times the sparks went down my ear drum and it is so painful so i started using ear plugs the only problem with that is welding off of sound becomes a lot harder but i recommend it because those sparks on the ear drums are almost like a new kind of pain lol
1991 V2500 Suburban Silverado - Sold
1991 V2500 Suburban Scottsdale - Big Nasty http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=497423
2001 Ram 3500 5.9 H.O NV56 EC DRW - Sold
2003 1500 Silverado
2004 Ram 3500 5.9 H.O NV56 CC DRW - Sold
2005 Silverado 2500HD 6.6/ZF6 CC LWB
Mr. 250r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #36
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I have the Lincoln Power Mig 140C. Awesome welder with gas/no gas capability. I weld a lot with it and it has yet to dissapoint me. I like that the dials are totally adjustable and doesn't have presets on the dials. So I can fine tune the wire speed and heat, rather than rely on the presets on the dials.

I have a Miller Pro Hobby auto-darkening helmet. It doesn't have the grinding feature. But I'm okay with that.

I have a lot of swap meet C-clamps and "oddballs" that I have got from swap meets and garage sales for holding metal together. Plus the magnetic thingies from HF for holding angles true.

I started welding with a $200 offshore flux core mig. Then I welded with my BIL's Miller 180. Holy crap... I was hooked. I sold the china made junk about a month later and dropped the coin on the 140C. Once you weld with a nice welder... you'll never look back on the cheap flux only migs.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #37
1972K20

Good info here!
Posted via Mobile Device
1972K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #38
Artikgrau325is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochlow View Post
I bought a Hobart 140 and a 250i plasma.. I really like them and they helped me learn alot already (only two months). When I was younger I tried to learn on an old Linde machine. It was bought by my grandfather when portable mig welder first came out. Let's just say it wasn't the best machine to learn on.
This is good to hear, I'm also lookng into getting the Hobart 140.
Posted via Mobile Device
Artikgrau325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:52 PM   #39
Racer2172

I a have lincoln 140 only set up for flux core its get the job done, but will be soon going with gas, to make it easier for cleaner welds. here is a link for a basic starter welder with good reviews and its not hf junk, used those they suck.
http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-1...5a-output.html
1968 C10 Project Quarantine http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=804800
1980 Buick Regal Dirt Stock car
Racer2172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #40
poorboiz

I would recommend the lincoln digital 255 mig. It has not disappointed me one bit and will weld pretty much anything including aluminum and has plenty of power also has 110 outlets on the machine so you don't need to run extension cords for your grinders and such.
poorboiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #41
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Go to your local community college and take a welding course at night. You will thank me.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote