The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #26
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Re: Mig welder question

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10Fan View Post
Welding Fact # 786, you will run out of argon when the welding supply house is closed. LOL
Now as an advocate of welding with gas even I have to admit that is the truth.lol Been there that is for sure.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #27
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I still weld almost all of my sheet metal with a torch as it makes for a better weld that can be worked and not crack out if it is done right. I also just weld sheet metal with a torch better than I do with my mig. I tack it all together with the mig though as that is a lot faster for me to do and then do the finish welding with the torch.
That is old school and works great and actually is superior in many ways for doing sheetmetal. I now do all my sheetmetal with tig which is about the same as using a torch. If you have a nice fit there is no need for using filler rod. But that is a skill set that is very different, but in my opinion is superior to mig for sheetmetal. Mig is fine and does a great job but a torch or tig is superior, but then we are getting into the metal artist realm.lol But it is my goal and I'm trying to reach that level. Practice, practice and more practice.lol
Old 11-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #28
01spirit750

I am not a welder, but I play one on TV.

WIth that being said.

I have a HF MIG (gas) 190 welder and it works okay,it has overheated on me a few times and I had to stop and let it cool down. I also have a miller 125 flux core welder.

My flux core welding is okay for farm work. I use the HF mig for automotive stuff (cleaner).

My preference would be to save for a Hobart welder.

My dad actually bought the HF 190 and could not figure out how to use it. So he gave it to me to use.

I would suggest getting the largest tank you can. I started with a 40cuF, and then upgraded to a 140 CUF.
01spirit750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #29
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10Fan View Post
......and don't forget, welders that go with gas or without, you need to reverse the polarity when using flux core wire. My Hobart does a decent job with flux core, especially after I read the instructions and reversed the polarity. LOL.

I prefer welding with argon, but will use flux core when I'm out of gas and have a job hanging. Welding Fact # 786, you will run out of argon when the welding supply house is closed. LOL
Fact # 785, If you lend your mig to a friend on Friday he will forget to turn off the gas valve leaving you empty on Saturday.

Fact 787, You waste half a day getting gas only to find he ran you out of wire as well.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #30
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01spirit750 View Post
I am not a welder.
Neither am I my friend. I'm just in training but I plan on getting there one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
Fact 787, You waste half a day getting gas only to find he ran you out of wire as well.
LOL. Yeah been there also, if not wire I ran out of the size I wanted to use. "I know I had some .023 around here somewhere.lol"

Last edited by Kabwe; 11-27-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:46 PM   #31
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Quote:
Fact # 785, If you lend your mig to a friend on Friday he will forget to turn off the gas valve leaving you empty on Saturday.

Like, Like, and Like. LOL

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'30 Model A Pickup, suicide front end, 350, 350, traditional style hot rod.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #32
Donaldo

Quote:

Must be nice to have someone else to blame

After repeatedly find myself without gas or wire on a weekend, I found a used O2 tank on CL and my gas supplier swapped for 75/25 so there is always a small back up tank. A 10lb spool of .023 does go a looonnnggg way....but it is good to look see....
Donaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #33
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaldo View Post
Must be nice to have someone else to blame

After repeatedly find myself without gas or wire on a weekend, I found a used O2 tank on CL and my gas supplier swapped for 75/25 so there is always a small back up tank.
Great idea. I often thought about doing the same. The only problem is I only think about it when I run out of gas.lol
Old 11-27-2013, 09:51 PM   #34
chip46wis

My Hobart Handler is 22 years old and works great!!!!!! I just noticed the local pawn shop has several HF welders and thats it--No other brands.
chip46wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #35
vht

Been trying to do my frame and the welder kept screwing up so I went to TS and bought the Holbart 210. Went for the 190, but the 210 was on sale and it'll weld the brackets to my rear end and anything else I'll ever need. NowI need to go fill up my spare tank and get another roll of wire and I'll be set. Thanks for the advice guys, I knew what I needed to do but needed a push.
vht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #36
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vht View Post
Been trying to do my frame and the welder kept screwing up so I went to TS and bought the Holbart 210. Went for the 190, but the 210 was on sale and it'll weld the brackets to my rear end and anything else I'll ever need. NowI need to go fill up my spare tank and get another roll of wire and I'll be set. Thanks for the advice guys, I knew what I needed to do but needed a push.
Sounds like you came out a winner. You did the right thing buddy that welder will pay for itself when you see all the great work you can do with it.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #37
cableguy0

You made a good choice. That welder will handle anything auto related you can think of.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #38
vht

It's a nice welder. 110 or 220. Done got 3 or 4 interested in my 140. worked on it and got it welding pretty good, just want to make sure it's alright before I sell it. Thanks again guys.
vht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #39
BurlyCrew

http://www.everlastgenerators.com/Po...60-357-pd.html
BurlyCrew is offline   Reply With Quote