The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-19-2010, 02:15 AM   #1
63whoopie

Stupid Question of the day: 4.3 anyone?

Ok, I believe I know the answer to this, but I was wondering if anyone has swapped one of Chevy's late model 4.3 L engines found in 1/2 trucks, S10's (?) and blazers (?) into a 60-66? If anyone read my thread from earlier this week, they will realize I'm looking to put a late-model, fuel-injected engine in my '63 to serve as a daily driver. I would only go with the 4.3 for fuel milage reasons.

Anticipated reasons people will say it's a bad idea:
1. Still have to swap all the electronics, mounts, crossmembers,etc
2. It's a V6?!!! DDUUHHHH
3. Any gain in fuel economy will be lost in the smaller engine pushing around a heavy truck (not sure of validity of statement).

Reasons it shouldn't be totally laughed out immidiently:
1. 4.3's are decent engines
2. I can get a 4.3 and a 5-speed for absolutely no money in good condition
3. They could be as cheap as a SBC swap. but with the modern fuel-injection reliability and milage (remember, we're thinking daily driver for a college student and self-employeed guy with a large gas bill already).

As much as we all like to go fast and sound loud, this could be an acceptable alternative to driving a 6-cyl late model truck with way less character and originality. I see the light in all above statements, but I have seen a few very late 4.3's floating around for chump change, and wondered if anyone had looked into this. Please chime in with comments or observations on considering this combo (but I'd still rather get a 5.3 and a 6 speed).

Thanks, y'all.
63whoopie is offline   Reply With Quote