The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #26
19seventeeCustom

Re: What should I do about my exhaust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
I listened to Click and Clack last Saturday. On one of the calls, they determined that the problem that had doomed her car was due to running it without a muffler, reducing back pressure and that lead to the valves become overheated and ruined the heads.

With that said, how much of a performance handicap do you foresee with the smaller exhaust vs. the larger one? I'm guessing you have enough cubic inches and go-fast goodies to make up for any shortcomings that the exhaust might bring.

I'd go with the 2.5 inch system, and use the change you get to buy some gas and go cruising.
^ that theory has been debunked numerous times. There is no such thing as "no back pressure" causing burned valves. I ran my camaro with open headers for 25-30 miles before I ran full exhaust, really damn loud but no burnt valves. When I had exhaust for the LT's fabbed it was only a 3" y-pipe into a single 3" axle back, (no muffler). Ran that setup for at least a year.

To the OP, 3" header back exhaust has enough CFM to flow 800hp. Unless your searching for louder exhaust, 2.5" would work great too (cheaper)!!
19seventeeCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #27
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: What should I do about my exhaust?

i ran a chevy citation back in the early 90's with nothing but a manifold on it, through the Ohio winter and through spring. I drove the crap out of it, 90 MPH from here to Cincinati (110 miles each way) drove it to school every day, to work, never babied it, the throttle had 2 spots that I used, up, or on the floor.
Never burned a valve, just lots of tires. (4 speed, it'd burn the right front all day if I rev'd it to 4000 and let go of the clutch)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote