The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #26
Indian113

Re: HELP. front flashers constantly on

I gotta say your a standup kinda guy!
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #27
raycow

Well I like a challenge, if that's what you mean.

However, I think dabmb01 is going to be up the creek in a leaky canoe without a paddle if his TS switch is defective, which I suspect it is, and the seller won't exchange it for him.

Ray

Last edited by raycow; 09-06-2010 at 02:10 PM.
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #28
steverino66

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post
Well I like a challenge, if that's what you mean.

However, I think dabmb01 is going to be up the creek in a leaky canoe without a paddle if his TS switch is defective, which I suspect it is, and the seller won't exchange it for him.

Ray
Ray-
Don't want to hijack this thread, but I have a similar/related problem with front turn signals. Sent you a pm earlier.
steverino66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #29
Indian113

It seems to me that you really go the distance to help people like me out! I hope he gets his problem corrected.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #30
raycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino66 View Post
Ray-
Don't want to hijack this thread, but I have a similar/related problem with front turn signals. Sent you a pm earlier.
Thanks for the heads-up. Normally the board gives me an alert if someone sends me a PM, but I didn't get one this time. I'll get right on it.

Ray
Old 09-06-2010, 04:33 PM   #31
dabmb01

i really really appreciate your help, the purple wire starts at the fuse panel (wired into it, looks factory not just clipped on). i cant remember off the top of my head where it goes without going back outside, but for now heres what i did:

i ran 2 jumper wires under the hood from the front turn signals to the wires on the fire wall for the rear turn signals, i then jumped them into that harness. in process something happened and i lost my brake lights. (***** bleeepp****) haha. i finally figures out that somehow i lost power to the brake switch. so i jumped my power wire off my cigarette lighter over to the brake switch. now i have brake lights and turn signals, and i took the bulbs out of the dash for the turn signals because they continued to flash on my dash. so no i did not fix the problem, but i think i did a decent job rigging them to work correctly. trust me this is the easier way, i am by no means an electrician and im not exactly the best at problem solving with electric. so this convo wouldve been alot longer with my stupid questions.

i am so thankful for your help, you dont even understand. i appreciate the time you took out of your day to try to help me out but i had to rig it so i could get to work. ha, now all i have to do is figure out my heater before winter, its already getting chilly in the morning.
dabmb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:41 AM   #32
raycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabmb01 View Post
i ran 2 jumper wires under the hood from the front turn signals to the wires on the fire wall for the rear turn signals, i then jumped them into that harness. in process something happened and i lost my brake lights. (***** bleeepp****) haha. i finally figures out that somehow i lost power to the brake switch. so i jumped my power wire off my cigarette lighter over to the brake switch. now i have brake lights and turn signals, and i took the bulbs out of the dash for the turn signals because they continued to flash on my dash.
Well that's a creative fix, as long as you are aware that your front turn signals will now light when you step on the brake pedal.

As for the purple wire, the hazard switch does need a power source, so it certainly seems reasonable that it would have a lead from the fuse panel, but that power lead should have nothing to do with your turn signals if it is wired correctly. Now it just so happens that the wire to the parking lights is also purple, so that is why I started asking questions about them.

I still believe there is a good chance that your turn signal switch is defective, but I have no way of knowing this for sure until you are able to spare the time to run some continuity tests on it.

In the meantime, please know that your thanks are very much appreciated, but I don't feel truly deserving of them until the problem is properly fixed.

Ray
Old 09-07-2010, 05:27 AM   #33
raycow

dabmb01, I finally found a wiring diagram for the hazard switch. It can be disconnected from the main harness just by unplugging it and without requiring any wires to be cut. I will ask that you do that whenever you can spare the time. Reconnect the two plugs that remain after you unplug the hazard switch harness.

The purple wire is the feed to the turn signal switch from the flasher on the fuse panel, so it must remain connected in order for the turn signals to work.

Ray
Old 09-07-2010, 03:53 PM   #34
raycow

Sorry, I meant to post a link to the diagram. It's not actually a wiring diagram, but rather an installation drawing.

http://webhosting.web.com/imagelib/s...ifv&title=1964 - 1966

Ray
Old 09-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #35
jku72

I just got my old truck, and it had similar problems. Turn signals wouldn't work. The PO was going to just put an aftermarket turn signal kit in, but was so frustrated, he gave up and sold the whole truck to me cheap.
This is what was wrong:
1. Bad turn signal switch(aftermarket replacement is a bit dodgy too, but it works)
2. Defective socket on front parking light.
3. crossed wires in rear from previos owner installing trailer wire harness
4. 2 burned out bulbs.
5. broken cancelling cam

I'm witing this to show you that little electrical problems are a nuisance, and very hard to diagnose, but physics is physics. You can fix it, just maybe take a feew days off to get back in the correct frame of mind.
I would guess that it might not be your hazard lights at all, but both turn signals at once.

68 C10 burb
42 Willys MB
46 Dodge WF-32 1.5 ton
53 & 56 Olds'
60 Cadillac
22 Dodge Brothers
jku72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #36
dabmb01

wtf raycow. hahaha. i just walked outside and had my gf hit my brakes and yes the parking lights come on. hahaha i had no clue. and as for the hazard switch, i cant unplug it.. its hardwired into the back of the switch.. i wish you lived near me, id honestly pay to pick your brain.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:38 PM   #37
dabmb01

and now i feel like a moron, i read that wrong. your saying trace the wires off the back of the switch until i find the connection and just unplug it there. but?.. seeing as how i cut the wires from the back of the hazard switch and then lost turn signals and re connected them all, wouldnt that be the same thing? kind of sounds like a stupid question but hey some vehicles have stupid ways of fixing them lol.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:50 PM   #38
raycow

No, cutting the hazard switch wires should not cause you to lose the turn signals, I have no clue where you might have cut the harness, but the purple wire shouldn't have been in there.

Look at this drawing.
http://webhosting.web.com/imagelib/s...ifv&title=1964

Follow the wires from the hazard switch to where they connect to the main harness. You will see two sets of plug connectors. They are clearly visible in the drawing. You will have to find them on the truck. Separate both connectors and get the hazard switch wires out of the way. Now reconnect the remaining two plugs. This completely removes the hazard switch from the turn signal circuit without cutting anything.

Ray