The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #26
Dan in Pasadena

Re: What NOT to do with your old 216

Not trying to argue, just expressing why I don't get it:

How is it not wasteful just because you have a lot of something? (...and I actually don't agree...there are fewer and fewer of them all the time. They haven't been made in 50+ years.)

Because there's water coming out of your faucet any time you open it, do you leave it running all day? Of course not.

So you think most people watch NASCAR, motocross...an extreme sport hoping(?) for an accident? Kinda morbid isn't that? But even if that's true, intentionally running an engine without coolant or oil isn't "anticipating failure". You're absolutely CERTAIN it's going to happen.

You KNOW it's going to be destroyed and guys are all horny for it? Again, I don't get it. I think it's terribly immature. Personally I'd be embarrassed of myself.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #27
dubie

in the end Dan, this guy owned this engine and he decided what happens to it, not us.

As for the " So you think most people watch NASCAR, motocross...an extreme sport hoping(?) for an accident? Kinda morbid isn't that?" this is something that has been going on since the romans would have gladiator fights to the death in an arena while people cheered them on. People love to see this kind of crap. Whether you agree with it or not Dan, this is the way our human world has been working for longer than you and I have been around.

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #28
coralhead

The one thing that made me sick was seeing the videos of the "Cash for Clunkers" engine destroying. Now that is something that never should have happened. Lots of fine machinery destroyed there that could have been used by others.
coralhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #29
1project2many

Dan, FWIW I'm ok with what I saw. People do this all the time so maybe I've become somewhat immune. Had I been there I might have tried to talk the guy out of it or trade him some lawnmower engines to blow up but it is what it is.

The engine held out for a long time. It was very impressive, actually. And starting on fire was cool. Quite often there's nothing as dramatic when the engine blows. It just dies. It's too bad that no one else will get that engine though. It probably would have been a helluva good one for someone who would have treated it well.

Cash for clunkers hurt us in many ways.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #30
_Ogre

actually cash for clunkers was done with the approval of sema, they inserted the no car over 25 yrs old to save collectible cars.

and dan, you need to quit bringing your feelings to the internet, they will only get hurt. your obviously a stocker, i can enjoy your truck too, but people do strange things. you can't get pissed at the guy that works in the scrap yard for crushing cars either. unless your prepared to buy every old car or 216 engine out there, this type of carnage will continue to happen.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #31
Rude Dude

All I can say in a sick way me likes, burn baby burn. I had a 235 in one of my trucks also couldn't give it away back before craigslist or ebay ended up at the scrap yard fo $10.
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #32
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
...and dan, you need to quit bringing your feelings to the internet, they will only get hurt....
I CAN'T??!! Gee, I'm heartbroken

But seriously, I know what you're saying and I agree I shouldn't let things on the internet bother me, but I admit a few do.

This one much much less than some things I've seen that make my blood boil - mistreatment of childen, older folks, and animals. For those I want to crawl through the screen and throttle someone.

Rudy,
At least you had the good sense to get the $10. The Bozo on that Youtube link didn't even have that much sense.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #33
1project2many

Quote:
actually cash for clunkers was done with the approval of sema, they inserted the no car over 25 yrs old to save collectible cars.
Which was a great move. But I have to sympathize with people who are having trouble finding affordable replacement cars. They're just not out there like they used to be. I realize that cars last more than ten years in the rest of the country, but in high corrosion areas like New England most ten year old vehicles are starting to get pretty rusty.

Hmmm... Maybe I can save an old 216 and drop it into something turned in to the junkyard during CFC. "If you think the original engine was a polluter, you'll really like what it does now!"
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #34
RanchTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
At least you had the good sense to get the $10. The Bozo on that Youtube link didn't even have that much sense.
The blown up engine was worth just as much to the scrapyard with the rods hanging out of the block as it would have been as a runner. So instead of scrapping it with potential use and entertainment left in it, he used up every bit and recorded it for our enjoyment too.
RanchTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #35
Dan in Pasadena

If you'd read this thread you'd know the discussion has been why anyone gets "entertainment" or "enjoyment" out of a juvenile, wasteful prank like this.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #36
RanchTruck

It's entertainment because it's cool to watch things blow up. Ever heard the expression "Go out with a bang"? And it's not wasteful because the engine was going to be recycled as scrap anyways. Whether it melted down under its own power or in the smelter, the engine was slated for execution.

I can understand the frustration with something getting wasted that was rare or unique or had exceptional craftsmanship, but a mass produced old truck engine is none of those.

What's juvenile is your hangup on people needing to preserve common old scrap. Anything that could have been rescued off that engine could be saved from one of the thousands of other 216's rotting in fields and junkyards across this country.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #37
Denee007

That was sad! I felt like they were killing it, but it wouldn't die! I Just want to live! Just give me one more chance!!!
67 Ford Mustang (re-restored after Harvey)
1968 Jeep Cj5 (2-8-2020 to present)
1992 Jeep Yj (8-17-20 to present) (Jurassic build)

www.Classiccarsandtools.com
Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #38
Dan in Pasadena

5 posts?

I'm not going to re-argue the same argument we've had since the start of this thread. Go read it and you know my opinion of your post.

By the way, "...preserving old scrap" is what some people would say about the very existence of this website. So "my hang up" as you put it is shared by ALL of us on this site (and now you) to some degree. We're not arguing the affliction, we just differ on our severity.

Back to your hole, troll.

PS: Denee, I get what you're saying and kind of agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchTruck View Post
It's entertainment because it's cool to watch things blow up. Ever heard the expression "Go out with a bang"? And it's not wasteful because the engine was going to be recycled as scrap anyways. Whether it melted down under its own power or in the smelter, the engine was slated for execution.

I can understand the frustration with something getting wasted that was rare or unique or had exceptional craftsmanship, but a mass produced old truck engine is none of those.

What's juvenile is your hangup on people needing to preserve common old scrap. Anything that could have been rescued off that engine could be saved from one of the thousands of other 216's rotting in fields and junkyards across this country.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 07-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #39
RanchTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
5 posts?

Back to your hole, troll.

Keep on crying over scrap iron on its way to China getting "abused".
Old 07-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #40
Garys8

You assume that engine is ruined. Let that thing cool down and it would probably start right back up.
See? All that arguing for nothing.
Garys8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #41
Wheelie

The coolest thing about it was the little smoke rings coming out. Shows how much abuse these old sixes can take. It was smoking pretty bad before it got super hot so I would assume the engine needed a rebuild. Not something I would do but definitely has an entertainment value to it.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:32 AM   #42
mechanixman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garys8 View Post
You assume that engine is ruined. Let that thing cool down and it would probably start right back up.
See? All that arguing for nothing.
Gary I like your answer the best!
Let's leave it at that

Projects:
1952 Chevy 1 ton = The Build page
mechanixman is offline   Reply With Quote