The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2002, 10:13 PM   #26
Terry S

72C10chevy4x4, they are on the way, thanks for your help.

My truck already had the in-cab tank removed and the hole filled when I got it. My new tank install is to replace the carnage that I inherited (an oversized tank in a big wooden box the bed). If I were doing this from scratch, I would probably go ahead and shave the filler anyway, because I'm shaving the door handles etc.
If the truck had a lot of chrome on it and I wanted to leave the neck, I probably would have just stayed with the original setup unless I needed the room for bucket seats or speakers or whatever. I don't really think that it's dangerous, and while the extra room behind the seat is nice, it it would have sure saved a lot of work!
Good luck with whatever you decide, and thanks again for resizing the pictures.
Old 11-16-2002, 01:36 PM   #27
72C10chevy4x4
UK Wildcat Fan!

crap-everything I just wrote disappeared! what is the distance above and below the frame rail? how long is the tank and finally how many gallons. Oh yes, what thickness was the aluminum.

thanks,
Paul
Attached Images

72C10chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 01:37 PM   #28
72C10chevy4x4
UK Wildcat Fan!

these are pictures of Terry's tank-not mine!
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2002, 01:38 PM   #29
72C10chevy4x4
UK Wildcat Fan!

and another.

Terry, let me know if there is another one you would like posted.
Paul
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2002, 06:12 PM   #30
Terry S

Paul, thanks for posting those! The dimensions are; 26" wide, 11" tall and 21" front to back. There is a 45 degree chamfer on the lower rear that starts 5 inches from the top, so the total capacity is about 24 1/2 gallons (231 cubic inches per gallon). The top is flush with the top of the frame rails, so it sticks down 7 inches at the lowest point, plus another inch or so where the sump is. Like I said in an earlier post, I wish I hadn't let the speed shop guys talk me into that. I could have fed from the top with a smaller sump just fine.. Oh well. Also, if I had put the filler neck out of the upper side, instead of out of the top, I could have raised the tank up about 2.5 inches above the top edge of the frame rails.
the whole thing was made out of .125 aluminum, I'm not sure about which alloy, I just told the guy to go ahead and use whatever he could weld best.

Thanks again,

Terry
Old 11-17-2002, 01:43 AM   #31
gmc-rob

Thanks Terry for sending me those gas tank pictures, now I gotta make me a tank. ROB
gmc-rob is offline   Reply With Quote