The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 02:45 AM   #26
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Did truck production numbers decrease after 1972?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbert41 View Post
I knew some guys that had the same truck. I worked with the dad as a correctional officer, and 15 years later I retired him medically. Sometime in-between I worked with his sons moving furniture. Them boys sure liked the Gandja-bud.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 02-25-2017, 12:09 PM   #27
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I wasn't selling anything. It's a fact, whether you want to believe it or not. I lived it and that's how I know. But you don't have to believe me, just look at all the original owner trucks we have on here, local trucks cherished and cared for better than trucks 20 years newer. Yeah, trucks were trucks back then and then there was your Cheyenne Super big block shortbed with herringbone cloth seats, A/C, Cruise, AM/FM, Cruise, tilt wheel, lots of trim, two-tone paint, tonneau covers offered through GM, etc. Was a K/20 CST or Cheyenne bought for work? How about all the Custom Campers that basically only went on fun trips. There are still camper haulers out there with under 100k on them. These trucks started the trucks loaded with options thing back then. Are you kidding me? The square bodies offered nothing more other than power windows. There were exceptional trucks for sale in Hemmings Motor News in the '80s for good money. I shared the interest in these trucks with many guys since the '70s. In the '80s at the local drag strip I remember seeing a Medium Green & White Cheyenne Super (on the lot) with chromed steering column and other interior pieces that had a supercharger and nice wheels. I had seen it in one of the car magazines. Then there was the '71 issue of Car craft with a customized '71 Stepside on the cover. I mostly knew older guys with these trucks. Old Bobby King had a steel building with three Cheyenne Supers in pristine original condition stashed right along with three '57 Chevy cars, including a convertible... all sitting under blankets. I could go on and on. I don't blow smoke. I know since these trucks were a few years old I have had people telling me they had one, traded it in for a new one (out of routine), and wished they had kept the 67-72. I heard that for years and years. I've been hearing people since the '80s saying "These trucks are coming on", and me saying, "Shoot, they've been on. You're just figuring it out". Just because they weren't a hot item to some back then doesn't mean they weren't hot, it means they had their eyes closed. Mine have been open since day one
x2. Well said.

By the way, I thought James post was directed at me, since he quoted my post.

Typical Sunday afternoon circa 1969. The pickup is a '69 GMC, short step, hugger orange. 6 cylinder bored to 305 cu in, 3 Rochesters on a homemade intake with Pontiac progressive linkage; dual exhaust; 3:11 low gear Saginaw four speed with a Hurst floor shifter. 3.73 posi rear axle. Steel wheels widened to 8" with the full face wheel covers. Daily driven and light hauling/towing usage.
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 02-25-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:19 PM   #28
leddzepp

Any and every junkyard here is loaded with square bodies, lots of them look like they were driven in and parked. Maybe 1 in 6 has a 67-72 that is a picked over shell.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 02-25-2017, 03:53 PM   #29
Chevyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Any and every junkyard here is loaded with square bodies, lots of them look like they were driven in and parked. Maybe 1 in 6 has a 67-72 that is a picked over shell.
Maybe that is the answer to my original question.
I'm searching the wrong place?
If I'm looking for a square body!
Ha ha ha
Old 02-25-2017, 03:56 PM   #30
James the III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
x2. Well said.

By the way, I thought James post was directed at me, since he quoted my post.

Typical Sunday afternoon circa 1969. The pickup is a '69 GMC, short step, hugger orange. 6 cylinder bored to 305 cu in, 3 Rochesters on a homemade intake with Pontiac progressive linkage; dual exhaust; 3:11 low gear Saginaw four speed with a Hurst floor shifter. 3.73 posi rear axle. Steel wheels widened to 8" with the full face wheel covers. Daily driven and light hauling/towing usage.
nothing personal, just adding to that thought..
Difference is most v8 gas hogs got parked in the 70's.. if not the first gas problem, but the 2nd parked a ton of older than 6y/o vehicles..
And the only reason you could 20-30-40 years later find one with low miles..
If there was no gas problems in the 70's most would be way past 100k miles..
The gas crunch spared a lot of the 67-72 trucks.. same with the older cars..
Old 02-26-2017, 06:20 PM   #31
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by James the III View Post
I'm not buying the 67-72 were classics from day one, as trucks back then were TRUCKS.. and bought and used as TRUCKS.. not a enthusiast vehicle..

As the factories started building loaded trucks and started charging a lot more for them..
I'm not sure of the way it was when you became interested in pickups, but the trend toward making them more comfortable and car like features begain in the mid 60's. Factories just didn't start building loaded trucks, it was consumer demand, especially with suburbanites who had more disposable income for a pickup for personal transportation and recreational use. Sure there were always business and agriculture buyers who bought them only as a tool, but the change was well before the 80's. Special K has plenty first hand knowledge of these trucks back in the day way before magazines, internet and priced out of the muscle car folks, discovered them. Yes, many people got attached to these trucks from the get go, others didn't have a clue till they were enlightened. Here a '69 when fairly new, even has red line tires, I would say the owner saw this as a classic immediately.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2017, 07:09 PM   #32
James the III

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
I'm not sure of the way it was when you became interested in pickups, but the trend toward making them more comfortable and car like features begain in the mid 60's. Factories just didn't start building loaded trucks, it was consumer demand, especially with suburbanites who had more disposable income for a pickup for personal transportation and recreational use. Sure there were always business and agriculture buyers who bought them only as a tool, but the change was well before the 80's. Special K has plenty first hand knowledge of these trucks back in the day way before magazines, internet and priced out of the muscle car folks, discovered them. Yes, many people got attached to these trucks from the get go, others didn't have a clue till they were enlightened. Here a '69 when fairly new, even has red line tires, I would say the owner saw this as a classic immediately.
Between 1977 and 1984 truck prices went through the roof and have kept going to the moon.. since..
I didn't say that they didn't make loaded trucks back then.. but the "buyer" the "market" was you bought a TRUCK because you needed a TRUCK.. not like when driving a truck became an "in" thing.. then as the oems slowly killed off rear drive cars, people moved to trucks..
Sure they made loaded (for the day) trucks in 67-72.. but what was called loaded is kinda comical .. it wasn't for comfort persay..
Not many 67-72 trucks rolling around with factory installed p/s, p/b, p/l ,p/w, tilt, interior trim upgrade, exterior trim upgrade, fancy wheels (covers). tinted windshield, a/c

Most of the "loaded trucks" it is automatic trans, p/s ,p/b, tilt and trim ,
Looking at what the interior option for my 71 compared to the base, isn't anything to write home about,, as far as comfort,

When the trucks started to be the "in" thing a loaded truck started to have more comfort items.. when the oem's started killing the rear drive platforms and more and more moved to trucks.. options that have been avail in the cars for decades were only now finding their way into trucks..
Using the same time period.. 67-72 the trucks were far from loaded if you compare them to the same type options offered in other vehicles.. that you could not get in the trucks.. That changed big time.. slowly in the late 70 early 80's but by 88 when g.m. started with the newest gen truck it loaded had a totally different meaning, and it's only gone higher and higher since..
To the point that the norminal price of a truck on a lot today is 45-55k
Want loaded.. 100-110k SRP..
You can't even find a basic truck on a lot anymore.. heck you'll be hard pressed to find a reg cab.. with only the basics in it and that is if you can find a reg cab on the lot..
Want a sporty reg cab, short bed v8 2wd truck.. plan on ordering it.. At least up here in the snow belt.. and they don't want to even sell them.. as the out the door price will be the same as a ex cab long or short bed 4x4..
In 2013 I looked at trucks.. a new chevy z71 reg cab short box 4x4 was more than an extra cab, higher tirm,4x4 long or short box.. with the bigger engine and stronger trans..
6 dealers and only 1 reg cab short 4x4 .. and no 2wd reg cab short to be had..
you want a reg cab short 2wd they point you to the smaller truck..
Ford was no better,, other than they didn't have a smaller truck to point at..
Forget finding one that wasn't optioned to the moon..
If you were ok with the 2wd long box work truck with v6.. great.. but they didn't want to deal on those as they know the businesses will buy them..
and it's not really a sporty truck..
I wasn't able to drive in 70, but i'll bet you didn't have to buy a truck with option group 2&3 to get the 402 bbc .
try getting a 6.0 or 6.2 or the oil burner without it loaded up..
Old 02-26-2017, 07:45 PM   #33
factorystock

Quote:
the "market" was you bought a TRUCK because you needed a TRUCK.. not like when driving a truck became an "in" thing..

When the trucks started to be the "in" thing a loaded truck started to have more comfort items..
I guess everyone has there own opinion on what time a pickup truck became truck became "in".
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2017, 07:56 PM   #34
James the III

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
I guess everyone has there own opinion on what time a pickup truck became truck became "in".
In meaning most of the drivers buying vehicles shopped trucks as the vehicle of 1st choice..

Trucks now outsell cars 3-4 to1
it was not that way in 67-72 or even by '80.

Trucks took off when rear drive vehicle choices got tiny..

in 67-72 the young driver wasn't dreaming of a truck it was a mustang/road runner/chevelle/Camaro/etc..
Old 02-26-2017, 10:21 PM   #35
Chevyland

Hey, What's up guys!
It's ok to agree to disagree

In my opinion 67-72 was the start of trucks that had creature comforts.
Also in my opinion, it was this generation they rode more like a car.
If ordered properly, 1/2 ton with coil over springs.

Coincidentally, When I started this thread, I think I was actually referring to what i would consider desirable, or loaded trucks.

I recently picked up a 74 Cheyenne Super.
I think I may have seen one or two before (maybe because I wasn't looking)
It seems there are a fair amount of 71-72' supers
But I'm not sure if there are that many 73-74's

I think most would agree, these highly optioned trucks would be less likely to be scrapped. And maybe more likely to be garaged or at least cared for, due to the fact, they are a higher optioned truck.

I think my next post will be in the 73-87 forum, to see if they Are out there
Old 02-27-2017, 10:06 AM   #36
special-K
Special Order

I love those 73/74s. They are just like the 71/72s only they look different No, I'm not kidding. I mean they are the same truck but with a body change. I actually like the deluxe 2-tone better, with that narrow molding and how it meets in the front. They still used the same names, the colors were pretty much the same, same console. They even used the same hubcaps!

I see a lot more square bodies around here. At shows I see about the same... EXCEPT, at rod runs because they stop at '72. '72 has been the cut-off for the classic thing since these trucks entered that realm early. It's like an exception was made to allow (unofficial) them in with the 47-66 crowd. Really, it was the 60-72 entering together when the whole collectible thing had been largely limited to '50s and earlier for all vehicles. They used to call the '73-ups "Plastic & Cardboard" trucks. I guess people were all focused on the new dash with more vinyl padded area and new design glovebox. Looking at them now they are as much steel as a '72. Same kind of door panels, '72s have cardboard gloveboxes and plastic gauge bezels, and the '73s are all steel behind the vinyl pad. The inner fenders are steel on the '73 and the grille is plastic on the '72. They both came with aluminum trim. They even got away from what many consider "wimpy" coil rear springs to "all" leaf springs and designed to carry double fuel capacity. Not to mention a little old truck name "Big Dooley" coming to town along with "3+3". Not sure if "BonusCab" came along as an afterthought or was there all along.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 02-27-2017, 12:05 PM   #37
Chevyland

Are you saying, rear coil springs were not available after 1972?
That's weird.
That us what makes the 67-72 ride so much smoother
Work fine until you need to haul a real heavy load.
Which Most people rarely do.

So a 73up Shortbed only had leaf springs
Seams like a rougher ride and I've heard it is harder to lower trucks with leaf?
Old 02-27-2017, 12:22 PM   #38
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyland View Post
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyland

Yes.

Quote:
Seams like a rougher ride and I've heard it is harder to lower trucks with leaf?
No. You can remove leafs, re-arch leafs, extend the shackles, extend the hanger, flip the axle on top of the spring, or relocate the hangers on the frame rails.

(or all of the above, I suppose).

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 02-27-2017, 12:50 PM   #39
Chevyland

And how is the ride?
On any 67-72 trucks I have had, it was always softer(more car like) with coils
And a bit more rigid (like a truck) with leaf (well I guess they are trucks)

I'm not suggesting one is better than the other
Just curious
Old 02-27-2017, 03:53 PM   #40
Keith Seymore

Quote:
And how is the ride?
On any 67-72 trucks I have had, it was always softer(more car like) with coils
And a bit more rigid (like a truck) with leaf (well I guess they are trucks)

I'm not suggesting one is better than the other
Just curious
You can tune it (by adding or removing leafs) to whatever you want/need.

My '87 pickup set the standard that I compare all other vehicles to (as far as ride and controls: throttle feel, brake pedal travel/effort and steering feel).

K
1986 - 2019
Old 02-27-2017, 06:33 PM   #41
James the III

Quote:
I love those 73/74s. They are just like the 71/72s only they look different No, I'm not kidding. I mean they are the same truck but with a body change. I actually like the deluxe 2-tone better, with that narrow molding and how it meets in the front. They still used the same names, the colors were pretty much the same, same console. They even used the same hubcaps!

I see a lot more square bodies around here. At shows I see about the same... EXCEPT, at rod runs because they stop at '72. '72 has been the cut-off for the classic thing since these trucks entered that realm early. It's like an exception was made to allow (unofficial) them in with the 47-66 crowd. Really, it was the 60-72 entering together when the whole collectible thing had been largely limited to '50s and earlier for all vehicles. They used to call the '73-ups "Plastic & Cardboard" trucks. I guess people were all focused on the new dash with more vinyl padded area and new design glovebox. Looking at them now they are as much steel as a '72. Same kind of door panels, '72s have cardboard gloveboxes and plastic gauge bezels, and the '73s are all steel behind the vinyl pad. The inner fenders are steel on the '73 and the grille is plastic on the '72. They both came with aluminum trim. They even got away from what many consider "wimpy" coil rear springs to "all" leaf springs and designed to carry double fuel capacity. Not to mention a little old truck name "Big Dooley" coming to town along with "3+3". Not sure if "BonusCab" came along as an afterthought or was there all along.
I have yet to see a '73-74 trucks from the factory with long arms/coils..
Old 02-27-2017, 07:13 PM   #42
robs71

They even got away from what many consider "wimpy" coil rear springs to "all" leaf springs.[/QUOTE]

special-k is stating they got away from rear coils as in 67-72...and went to "all" leafs with what I believe to mean 73-up,never mentioned coil spring suspension in 73 up.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:33 PM   #43
Keith Seymore

Quote:
I have yet to see a '73-74 trucks from the factory with long arms/coils..

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore

Yes.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore

Yes.
1986 - 2019
Old 02-27-2017, 09:46 PM   #44
special-K
Special Order

So, where are the pictures of this truck?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 02-27-2017, 09:57 PM   #45
Chevyland

What truck?
I thought you reviewed every post in every thread?
Old 02-27-2017, 10:02 PM   #46
Leonard60

The avalanche is a very popular truck in our area there's hundreds if not more running around. Got friends with them and some are on there third one didn't pay a lot of attention to how there made just assumed they were a pickup GM modified. Was told just last week that they are coil rear spring. News to me but if this is so that would explain the ride I guess.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:18 AM   #47
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
What truck?
I thought you reviewed every post in every thread?
The '74 Cheyenne Super you recently picked up.

Tim

Old 02-28-2017, 01:01 AM   #48
Chevyland

In the 73-87 forum
Under
'Post your 73 or 74 Cheyenne Super'

I still don't know how to attach a link to another thread

Since putting it on there, it has seen very little activity
Nothing like the 71-71 Cheyenne Super thread here
Hence my question about production numbers

To me it just feels like 71-72 were great years for these high optioned trucks
And less so in 73-74
I just don't see them out there as much??
Old 02-28-2017, 02:46 AM   #49
James the III

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs71 View Post
They even got away from what many consider "wimpy" coil rear springs to "all" leaf springs.
special-k is stating they got away from rear coils as in 67-72...and went to "all" leafs with what I believe to mean 73-up,never mentioned coil spring suspension in 73 up.[/QUOTE]

I love those 73/74s. They are just like the 71/72s only they look different No, I'm not kidding. I mean they are the same truck but with a body change.

I don't know man.. that statement would lead one to believe same truck as same truck..
67-72 c-10's 1/2 ton was coil..
Old 02-28-2017, 07:47 AM   #50
special-K
Special Order

Unless you read the whole post. Maybe if your weren't so focused on shooting holes in what I post it would help you understand what I put down.

Listen, a little advise from a guy who has been here a while. People come here and say this place is friendly and helpful all the time. I'm one of those friendly helpful members. I say things to cheer people up and I say things to help people learn. I don't come here to post BS to mislead people or argue about my replies. I have been wrong before, corrected, and I learn. You are new here and that's why I'm suggesting you learn to let things go a little. I don't move on as quickly as some, but if one come back/clarification gets me nowhere I move on. We look worse coming back than walking away. People forget the things we drop and move on with, for the most part, and remember the times a member kept coming back no matter what. This is not a win/lose situation, so let it go. I have nothing against you and nothing to prove. Enjoy

Tim

Closed Thread