The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #26
Tinkermc

Re: whats the best aftermarket hvac kit on the market

V A is what I plan on buying and Scotts Hotrods will get my business, there customer service is next to none, I bought all my static drop from them
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:25 AM   #27
PHAT TONY

Quote:
Originally Posted by meathead95 View Post
Hey Tony, did you restore the stock system in the 2wd Blazer? Once cleaned with a new blower does the stock unit have good velocity?
Posted via Mobile Device
My Blazer has no A/C, the stock heater blows as good as these trucks will....lol.
1970 Chevrolet C/10-Sold
1968 GMC 4X4-Project
1968 Chevrolet C/10 Pro Street
1970 GMC 3/4 Ton-Parts
1997 2WD 2DR Yukon-Sweet
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335664
PHAT TONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:40 AM   #28
502ms

Pics of the electric setup?
I have an a/c cab...just want to see the setup
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2012, 02:08 AM   #29
long67

I can tell you the best one is not Old Air the unit. although it has been in for 11 years I have replaced the blower motor, repaired a broken wire on another.upgraded to electric switches cause I was tired of pulling the cables from under the hood. It works fair on both heat and cool. I added a vent to blow on the floor for the cold feet in winter. If I was to do it again I would find all the factory componets and build a system that way.
96 mustang
11 dodge nitro
long67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #30
meathead95
computer illiterate

So to the guys that have Vintage Air, in your opinion now that heinsights 20/20 is this a major upgrade over stock and well worth the money or would you not do it again? Old air peopele need not reply to this question I have had there product and think its not so great!
Old 11-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #31
Lee H

IMO, while I have not charged the unit yet, this is a major upgrade over stock. When I looked at stock replacement parts to get my 40 year old system working (POA valve, condenser, drier, compressor, heater core, blower motor, misc seals, gaskets, muffler, hoses, etc) there was not much difference in cost VS a VA sure fit kit with electronic controls. I have several friends with VA kits and they tell me that they don't run the system on high for very long because it's to cold. I'll know first hand next summer.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #32
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

When I bought (back) the 72 swb in my sig it had recently had a vintage air kit installed. It looks good, and in 105* Texas heat had no problem keeping the cab cool. Back in the summer time my vent thermometer said it was blowing at 50*. Not the coldest vent temps I have ever seen but definitely more than is needed for the small cab. I didn't install it so I can't speak to that, but once in the vehicle I am very happy with it. Vintage Air is here in San Antonio and I have visited their facility many times. The production floor is clean and well organized and I feel that shows in the quality of their finished product. I have also had very in depth conversations with a few local A/C repair shops and all speak very highly of Vintage Airs product, but some of the other brands not so much. If I already had an OEM setup in a truck (like I do in my Blazer) I would/will probably keep that setup and have it retro fitted to newer technology just because I tend to lean toward keeping stuff OEM in general. BUT as far as putting air in a vehicle that was originally NON-A/C I would buy Vintage Air in a heart beat, no questions asked. In my opinion much better than the other kits I have seen and much easier than trying to convert over to an OEM system. Just my $0.02.

EDIT: I feel the need to add that when I say I would keep an OEM system if I already had A/C, I need to make it clear that little would be OEM after I got through with it. I would use a newer compressor either a Sanden or Denso (stock LSx compressor) not the Frederick style or whatever it was that came on these trucks. Also I would convert the system from a POA setup to an orifice tube system not to mention a new style cross flow condenser. All the under hood stuff including the lines would be built at an A/C shop. The only real original style parts would be the evaporator core and all the under dash stuff. The main advantage to the OEM under dash unit is it has the ability to pull fresh air or recirculated air, where as the Vintage Air kit is ALWAYS pulling recirculated air. This is fine for A/C use, but running a heater with recirculated air sometimes makes things seem a little stuffy/stale, but maybe that's just me.

Check it out www.lsdyno.com

Last edited by Critter; 11-19-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #33
BIG ORANGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by meathead95 View Post
I believe it is made to use either control.

part numbers from there website.

751170 uses non air controller.

751171 uses an air controller.
Thanks meathead,,

Things happen for a reason!
BIG ORANGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #34
meathead95
computer illiterate

I just ordered the Vintage Air dire fit gen 4 kit from Scotts Hotrods here on the board, they recommended using an ac controller so I ordered one of those also so well see how it goes!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #35
meathead95
computer illiterate

Sure not dire lol....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #36
gotchamel

I installed the VA surefit system in my 69 c10 this summer,very pleased with the fit of the parts and customer service.If I did it over I would have not ordered the surefit system but assemble a package unit that fit my needs better.I did not use the harness that lets you use the factory heater control,instead I got a rotary swich module and fabed it in the heater control area,gutted the heater control.Also upgraded the vents,used the double vane chrome{round}in the dash and a rectangular in the console.Also used longer lines to route behing fender instead of across wheelwell.
gotchamel is offline   Reply With Quote